• Dec 29th, 2020 6:15 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes

Waking Up App, 1 month free

Retailer:
Apple App Store, Google Play Store
One month free trial of Sam Harris's Waking Up app, which is one of the best meditation apps. The app is rated 4.9 at both Apple App Store & Google Play Store.

The name of the app refers to spiritual awakening. This is NOT an app for waking people up in the morning. See below for a review of the app:
https://medium.com/@benfreeland/sam-har ... ut%20there.

1. Visit https://www.wakingup.com

2. Click on "Sign Up" in the upper right-hand corner

3. Enter and then verify your email address

4. Once you are logged into Waking Up you can choose Settings --> Redeem promo code

5. Enter the code IRVINE

You can now continue to use the app from inside your web browser or you can download the 'Waking Up ' app from your phone's app store. After downloading the app for your phone make sure to register the app with the same email address you used in Step 3 above.
Last edited by qfli78 on Dec 27th, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
17 replies
Aug 27, 2018
56 posts
104 upvotes
Great app with great content! Never thought I'd see it here.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
Edited the post to add the app rating at Apple App Store & Google Play Store.
Jul 9, 2005
107 posts
42 upvotes
Please don't abuse of it because I truly think this is a great app worth supporting, but if you truly can't afford it after OP's free month trial:look here.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
patratcan wrote: Please don't abuse of it because I truly think this is a great app worth supporting, but if you truly can't afford it after OP's free month trial:look here.
Good to know free account is available. Agree this is a great app worth supporting. But the subscription fees is too high IMO ($19/month or $130/year).

Sam's bestseller book "Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion" is also on sale for $2 on both Kindle and Google Play books. It provides quite some insights into how mind works and how to reduce sufferings.
https://www.amazon.ca/Waking-Up-Spiritu ... B00GEEB9YC
https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... hNAgAAQBAJ
Jun 18, 2016
552 posts
1580 upvotes
I’ve been waking up for free all my life. Is this better?
Dec 24, 2014
85 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
This app changed my life this year. If anyone is interested in mindfulness and meditation, try it. Do the intro course. It's been extremely useful to me in 2020.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
Not sure what’s the discussion going on here. This is an app for meditation similar to Calm or Headspace. It is not for waking you up from sleep in the morning.

What I found unique to this app is Sam’s training in neuroscience, which enables him to explain how mind, meditation, and mindfulness work from scientific perspective.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1599 posts
392 upvotes
I think I can still claim a free year of Calm from Amex. Is this app that much better?
May 7, 2015
63 posts
44 upvotes
Nepean, ON
qfli78 wrote: Not sure what’s the discussion going on here.
Stupid jokes and/or people not reading your post (okay, MooseV2's made me chuckle). Don't mind them.

For others, here're my two cents:

I got into this app a couple weeks ago. I'm somewhat on the fence about it, personally - the introductory course seems to lead to the conclusion of determinism. While academically I agree with determinism, pragmatically I find that having that idea too much in the forefront of my mind works to the detriment of my daily wellbeing. I wonder if some of the peripheral courses will suit me better.

The potential benefits of trying this app for a given person are great. In about an hour total (6 days) you'll have a good feel for if this app will be beneficial to you.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
Squeeky wrote: I think I can still claim a free year of Calm from Amex. Is this app that much better?
It’s different, not necessarily better. For example, instead of of promoting meditation as a way to reduce stress, this one treat meditation as a skill similar to reading. Try it, you will notice the differences.

The review below explains quite well the differences between this app and other meditation apps:
https://medium.com/@benfreeland/sam-har ... ut%20there.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
artifaxiom wrote: Stupid jokes and/or people not reading your post (okay, MooseV2's made me chuckle). Don't mind them.

I got into this app a couple weeks ago. I'm somewhat on the fence about it, personally - ...
Edited the post to add some clarification and also a review on medium.com. Maybe the name of the app caused some misunderstanding.

I read Sam's book "Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion" before trying his app, which probably helps me to make better use of it. Before this, I tried about a dozen mindfulness and meditation apps. This one stands out for mainly two reasons: it has more solid scientific basis; and it is more in-depth and goes way beyond stress reduction.
Sep 30, 2019
108 posts
120 upvotes
artifaxiom wrote: Stupid jokes and/or people not reading your post (okay, MooseV2's made me chuckle). Don't mind them.

I got into this app a couple weeks ago. I'm somewhat on the fence about it, personally - the introductory course seems to lead to the conclusion of determinism. While academically I agree with determinism, pragmatically I find that having that idea too much in the forefront of my mind works to the detriment of my daily wellbeing. I wonder if some of the peripheral courses will suit me better.

The potential benefits of trying this app for a given person are great. In about an hour total (6 days) you'll have a good feel for if this app will be beneficial to you.
agreed. while i don't always agree with sam harris, i do believe in the value of meditation and an offer that increases the number of people who try/adopt a practice that will benefit society as a whole, well that gets an upvote without reservation or attempts at humour. . .

and harris takes determinism to a different level--he's got a book entitled 'free will' which pretty much denies that it exists, so he's next level deterministic. . .can't say i agree with him on that. . .

regardless, meditation should be apolitical
Aug 14, 2016
62 posts
46 upvotes
The former 50-day intro course did a great a job of introducing Mindfulness, and broadly speaking "secular" Buddhism. Sam's approach is somewhat esoteric, but it was far better than Headspace at conveying more complex concepts and practices.

It was life-changing for me, so I highly recommend it. This app may also be obtained for free by contacting the creator.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
Nomad753 wrote: The former 50-day intro course did a great a job of introducing Mindfulness, and broadly speaking "secular" Buddhism. Sam's approach is somewhat esoteric, but it was far better than Headspace at conveying more complex concepts and practices.

It was life-changing for me, so I highly recommend it. This app may also be obtained for free by contacting the creator.
Agree. In the app the contents are divided into theory and practice. The theory part explains very well the related concepts and how mind, mindfulness, and meditation work. It is quite enlightening.

The app was released in 2018, thus it is relatively new.
Jul 9, 2005
107 posts
42 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Sam's bestseller book "Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion" is also on sale for $2 on both Kindle and Google Play books. It provides quite some insights into how mind works and how to reduce sufferings.
FYI If you subscribe to the website, it also comes with the video lecture of this book.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2019
498 posts
1108 upvotes
patratcan wrote: FYI If you subscribe to the website, it also comes with the video lecture of this book.
How to access the video lectures? It seems all contents in the app are audio only.