Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple 2020 Back To School Promotion - Free AirPods with eligible Mac or iPad - can upgrade to AirPods Pro!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:09 pm
Aug 1, 2012
847 posts
182 upvotes
Cambridge
Spinner wrote: About the same probability as someone successfully returning their promo AirPods for cash.

The whole idea of the BTS promo, which started in June, was to get consumers to buy Apple's mature products before the fall.
To be honest, only Apple knows what's the idea behind the BTS promo (or any of their promos for that matter).. anything else is just speculation. This BTS promo is offered for 2 products released 1 year apart so age of the product may not be the only reasoning.

Secondly, I was actually asking about the chances of Apple opening pre-orders for the new Air before October.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1551 posts
2857 upvotes
Markham
jansh84 wrote: To be honest, only Apple knows what's the idea behind the BTS promo (or any of their promos for that matter).. anything else is just speculation. This BTS promo is offered for 2 products released 1 year apart so age of the product may not be the only reasoning.

Secondly, I was actually asking about the chances of Apple opening pre-orders for the new Air before October.
"Nobody can know how Apple thinks! Btw does anyone know if Apple will open pre-orders???" :rolleyes:
Mar 15, 2019
66 posts
49 upvotes
Anyone able to "preorder" with the back to school promo? My local store is out of the base model MBP but I was hoping to "pre-order", pay with mall gift cards, and pick it up in a week.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3401 posts
3061 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Dave510 wrote: "Nobody can know how Apple thinks! Btw does anyone know if Apple will open pre-orders???" :rolleyes:
Those two aren't related in the slightest.

There's multiple news sites that say both the new iPad 8 and iPad Air 4 were going to go up for preorder today, with the iPad 8 releasing later this week and the Air in "October".

The iPad 8 is in fact preorderable now, so the only two possibilities here are they put a delay on the Air going up until later today, or everyone got bad info and it isn't opening until a later date.
Sep 14, 2012
10 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
I just spoke with a sales agent from apple.com and he said that the preorder for the new Ipad air will start on sep 18th (this friday).

I asked if the new Ipad Air will be part of the BTS promotion and he replied : "As of now, it does not look like it is part of the free AirPods promo. It does though qualify for the educational discount." (see image below)
Images
  • apple.JPG
Aug 8, 2015
33 posts
32 upvotes
jbvigneux wrote: I just spoke with a sales agent from apple.com and he said that the preorder for the new Ipad air will start on sep 18th (this friday).

I asked if the new Ipad Air will be part of the BTS promotion and he replied : "As of now, it does not look like it is part of the free AirPods promo. It does though qualify for the educational discount." (see image below)
Also chatted with a Rep over the phone and they said the same "air 4 will come out in October so it won't be part of the promo". This makes the air 3 probably the best deal until one of these tablets includes the airpod promo, but looks like they are out of air 3's...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3335 posts
2003 upvotes
Vancouver
jbvigneux wrote: I just spoke with a sales agent from apple.com and he said that the preorder for the new Ipad air will start on sep 18th (this friday).

The agent is confusing the Sept. 18 date with the $329 iPad, which Apple specifically says will be on the 18th.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/09/ ... rformance/

If Apple were opening Air pre-orders so soon, they would list in the press release instead of a vague "next month" statement.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/09/ ... nced-chip/
Jun 18, 2015
491 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kenchau wrote: It's just that the AppleCare is going to start a week and a half early while the machine sits idle, hidden, and unopened.
its not starting early
Dec 30, 2010
288 posts
107 upvotes
debating to buy new ipad air or current ipad pro with free airpods worth about $150.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8044 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
winenaught88 wrote: its not starting early
How do you figure?

The Apple Care starts according to the purchase/delivery date. It literally says on the Apple Care confirmation email the date it expires.

That's my point, I ordered it early because it said the ship date would be September 23rd to 30th (which is the time frame I need it for).

Then low and behold it shipped right away when I ordered it yesterday.

If they were more accurate, then I would have waited until next week to order, then my Apple Care would start a week later.

May not matter in the end, but you never know.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33676 posts
19470 upvotes
Ottawa
kenchau wrote: How do you figure?

The Apple Care starts according to the purchase/delivery date. It literally says on the Apple Care confirmation email the date it expires.

That's my point, I ordered it early because it said the ship date would be September 23rd to 30th (which is the time frame I need it for).

Then low and behold it shipped right away when I ordered it yesterday.

If they were more accurate, then I would have waited until next week to order, then my Apple Care would start a week later.

May not matter in the end, but you never know.
AppleCare+ can be extended month to month after original coverage period.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1729 posts
938 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
Was at Apple Markville today to do a battery replacement for an iPhone and, when I was in line to pick it up, the person in front of me was getting this educational promo for an iPad with a set of AirPods. Overheard the Apple employee ask them for their student ID but he said he left it at home but mentioned he's in second year at UofT, and she just proceeded with the transaction anyway. So whether or not an employee checks is YMMV.
Mar 5, 2018
35 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
sonyHdr12 wrote: A14
RAM aside, the Air's A14 is very likely not better than the Pro's A12X. While the A14 is newer gen, the A14 has half the high performance cores as the A12Z and 25% less GPU cores.

Let's wait for benchmarks to come out before being definitive on this. I doubt Apple is going to release an Air that is more powerful than a Pro.
Aug 8, 2015
33 posts
32 upvotes
shiqiliu10 wrote: debating to buy new ipad air or current ipad pro with free airpods worth about $150.
Fyi the airpods are worth $180 in today's market. Just got rid of them in 1 day on Facebook marketplace with lots of offers.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Fluid, dealerguy