Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple 2020 Back To School Promotion - Free AirPods with eligible Mac or iPad - can upgrade to AirPods Pro!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
2054 posts
717 upvotes
What are your thoughts on the iPad Air 3 vs the new iPad 8 specs wise?

They seem almost identical.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14089 posts
5262 upvotes
Ottawa
second2none wrote: What are your thoughts on the iPad Air 3 vs the new iPad 8 specs wise?

They seem almost identical.
Except the screen on the Air 3 is laminated. I wouldn't ever go back to the regular Ipad for that reason alone.

Now, since the 8 has caught up to the Air 3 in other respects, it's a lot hard to justify the big price difference between the 8 and the Air 3. Fortunately they refreshed both to justify their respective pricing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpOjk09Qx0&fea ... u.be&t=561 (video shows you a little bit of the screen difference between the 7 and the Air 3....the same argument works for the 8)
Last edited by warpdrive on Sep 15th, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Oct 16, 2011
249 posts
131 upvotes
The new iPad Air will not be included in this promotion. Their goal was to clear out old inventory before the new Air arrived.

The new iPad Air is $779 for the 64GB Wi-Fi base model.

The 3rd Gen Air was $649 ($619 EDU) for the 64GB Wi-Fi base model.

That’s a $145 difference with tax.

The AirPods are a $225 value including tax. So ultimately the price difference between a 3rd Gen Air on this promotion and a new Air without the promotion is $370 in value. If you plan to sell the AirPods, it’s about a $320 difference in value since you will not get full retail for the AirPods.

So basically you have to ask yourself if the new Air, which does look incredible, is worth the extra $320-$370 to you.

A12 —> A14
Smaller bezels/larger screen
Stereo speakers when in landscape mode
Possibly 1GB more RAM?
No home button / Touch ID on lock

I’d say it’s probably not worth the extra $320-$370 but I can see how some might value these premium features and not mind paying a bit extra for them. I think the A12 is very powerful and will feel quite snappy for a while.

I think you can’t go wrong either way.

As far as the 8th Gen, I think it’s a good value. The A12 like I mentioned is a beast. It has 3GB RAM which keeps it on par with the 3rd Gen Air.

The 8th Gen is more or less the exact same as the 3rd Gen Air, except the laminated screen which is incredible and highly recommended.

However it is not included in this promotion. So there’s no AirPods available. In this case, I recommend the following:

The 8th Gen, 32GB (what a joke) Wi-Fi base model is $429.

That makes it $212 less than the iPad Air 3rd Gen. ($619-$429=$190+tax=$212)

However as mentioned above, with the 3rd Gen Air you get a $225 value from the AirPods if you keep them, or about a $175 value if you sell them.

So in most cases, it’s better to get the 3rd Gen Air with this promotion instead of the 8th Gen, they are more or less the same except the Air has a slightly bigger screen, which is laminated. The lamination makes for a better picture and for much better use of the Apple Pencil.
Jun 18, 2015
491 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kenchau wrote: How do you figure?

The Apple Care starts according to the purchase/delivery date. It literally says on the Apple Care confirmation email the date it expires.

That's my point, I ordered it early because it said the ship date would be September 23rd to 30th (which is the time frame I need it for).

Then low and behold it shipped right away when I ordered it yesterday.

If they were more accurate, then I would have waited until next week to order, then my Apple Care would start a week later.

May not matter in the end, but you never know.
lmao

sooooo its not starting early. its starting exactly when it should
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33676 posts
19470 upvotes
Ottawa
SillyRabbit wrote: The new iPad Air will not be included in this promotion. Their goal was to clear out old inventory before the new Air arrived.

That’s a $145 difference with tax.

The AirPods are a $225 value including tax. So ultimately the price difference between a 3rd Gen Air on this promotion and a new Air without the promotion is $370 in value. If you plan to sell the AirPods, it’s about a $320 difference in value since you will not get full retail for the AirPods.

So basically you have to ask yourself if the new Air, which does look incredible, is worth the extra $320-$370 to you.

A12 —> A14
Smaller bezels/larger screen
Stereo speakers when in landscape mode
Possibly 1GB more RAM?
No home button / Touch ID on lock

I’d say it’s probably not worth the extra $320-$370 but I can see how some might value these premium features and not mind paying a bit extra for them. I think the A12 is very powerful and will feel quite snappy for a while.

I think you can’t go wrong either way.

As far as the 8th Gen, I think it’s a good value. The A12 like I mentioned is a beast. It has 3GB RAM which keeps it on par with the 3rd Gen Air.

The 8th Gen is more or less the exact same as the 3rd Gen Air, except the laminated screen which is incredible and highly recommended.

However it is not included in this promotion. So there’s no AirPods available. In this case, I recommend the following:

The 8th Gen, 32GB (what a joke) Wi-Fi base model is $429.

That makes it $212 less than the iPad Air 3rd Gen. ($619-$429=$190+tax=$212)

However as mentioned above, with the 3rd Gen Air you get a $225 value from the AirPods if you keep them, or about a $175 value if you sell them.

So in most cases, it’s better to get the 3rd Gen Air with this promotion instead of the 8th Gen, they are more or less the same except the Air has a slightly bigger screen, which is laminated. The lamination makes for a better picture and for much better use of the Apple Pencil.
Luckily I ordered the AIR 3 already, as it's not showing up online anymore.
How is anyone supposed to order it now?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3401 posts
3061 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
vkizzle wrote: Luckily I ordered the AIR 3 already, as it's not showing up online anymore.
How is anyone supposed to order it now?
Hope there's stock in-store I think lol.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8044 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
winenaught88 wrote: lmao

sooooo its not starting early. its starting exactly when it should
Context matters bro. Clearly you don't comprehend. It goes without saying any extended warranty would only start at date of purchase or after. Thanks for enlightening all of us Sherlock.
Jun 18, 2015
491 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kenchau wrote: Context matters bro. Clearly you don't comprehend. It goes without saying any extended warranty would only start at date of purchase or after. Thanks for enlightening all of us Sherlock.
just to make it completely clear, you're crying about a 'lost week' of apple care.

7 days.

"apple ruined my experience - never again"Crying Face

lmaooo
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8044 posts
2784 upvotes
Mississauga
winenaught88 wrote: just to make it completely clear, you're crying about a 'lost week' of apple care.

7 days.

"apple ruined my experience - never again"Crying Face

lmaooo
Everyone else can read, they didn't need clarifying like you did. Thanks for your efforts Sherlock.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1324 posts
938 upvotes
Montreal
Offer has been extended to Oct. 12 in the USA, let's see if they do the same for Canada
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6819 posts
2884 upvotes
Montreal
SillyRabbit wrote: The new iPad Air is $779 for the 64GB Wi-Fi base model.

Thank you for your detailed post.

New iPad Air will be $719 EDU for the 64GB Wi-Fi base model, according to what I saw on Apple Canada store website.

I agree the airpods make a big difference price wise.

At regular EDU price, $100 Canadian dollar difference is OK.

I got my iPad Air 3 last year so out of market in my case.
Fan of: PC Financial, HP Instant Ink, HSBC bank account, GCR
Dec 8, 2012
627 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary
SillyRabbit wrote: The new iPad Air will not be included in this promotion. Their goal was to clear out old inventory before the new Air arrived.

it shows $719 and still not clear if they include the airpods. I hope they will so it brings the price down to $520-550 after selling the pods. Would be a very good deal
https://www.apple.com/ca_edu_93120/shop ... green-wifi
Mar 21, 2016
134 posts
31 upvotes
Yvr
Not sure why some ppl think Apple would include AirPod with the new iPad in the first place
Would you really do that if you are Apple?
Apple is not Samsung guys.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

dealerguy