Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple 2020 Back To School Promotion - Free AirPods with eligible Mac or iPad - can upgrade to AirPods Pro!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 10:34 pm
Jul 9, 2019
105 posts
386 upvotes
brensavoyton wrote: How do the ipad pros compare for light video editing on final cut or Premiere?
LumaFusion (paid, $39.99) is most popular video editing app on iPad OS. It’s pretty straight-forward, my iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) exports 4k footage in real-time. Video editing on iPad is more fun IMHO.

Make sure you have right accessories, I would recommend -

1. an external SSD (LumaFusion can directly import/export from external storage), never have to worry about internal storage.

2. an Apple pencil or Pencil alternative from Amazon at $40, I love working on timeline with pencil, sliders are so easy to move. iPad OS also supports mouse, but mouse obviously needs a table whereas pencil doesn’t.

3. USB-C hub/dock, obviously. One with SD Card reader, PD Delivery, USB 3.0 etc

Why I prefer iPad+LumaFusion over my laptops? Because it doesn’t heat-up and freakin burn my thighs esp. now in summers, doesn’t sound like jet engine about to take off. You can literally do video editing while on bed.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2625 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm having a very tough time deciding between a MacBook Pro and Macbook Air. I feel either one meets my needs but I can't figure out what the real world differences of them are. Does the 10th gen vs 8th gen i5 make a noticeable difference? The touch bar seems cool but also not really sure it is overly important to me. Does the Macbook Air have backlit keyboard? That's a feature I couldn't give up from my current Mid-2014 MBP.
1. MBP has a brighter screen/wide colour (P3), better speakers, i5 8th gen will outperform the MBA i5 10th gen due to better thermal design in the MBP and higher wattage chip
2. MBA is slightly lighter, has 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM vs 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM in the base MBP

The MBA does have a backlit keyboard.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6146 posts
2072 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: LumaFusion (paid, $39.99) is most popular video editing app on iPad OS. It’s pretty straight-forward, my iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) exports 4k footage in real-time. Video editing on iPad is more fun IMHO.

Make sure you have right accessories, I would recommend -

1. an external SSD (LumaFusion can directly import/export from external storage), never have to worry about internal storage.

2. an Apple pencil or Pencil alternative from Amazon at $40, I love working on timeline with pencil, sliders are so easy to move. iPad OS also supports mouse, but mouse obviously needs a table whereas pencil doesn’t.

3. USB-C hub/dock, obviously. One with SD Card reader, PD Delivery, USB 3.0 etc

Why I prefer iPad+LumaFusion over my laptops? Because it doesn’t heat-up and freakin burn my thighs esp. now in summers, doesn’t sound like jet engine about to take off. You can literally do video editing while on bed.
Do you find external ssd to be slower than internal?

Can you recommend a hub/dock?
Feb 14, 2020
27 posts
17 upvotes
artsx111 wrote: hi,
i really had office on my mba sold 3 months ago, and dont really remember was it 32 or 64 bit and which version was it. do you think i can call Microsoft and just tell them i had office on my previous mac and ask for new license?
what was the last version of ms office having one time license?(instead of yearly updates)
you need to be in possession of the old laptop with the software for the Microsft customer service to give you the key for a new one. if its sold there is not much you can do.
Jul 9, 2019
105 posts
386 upvotes
artsx111 wrote: hi,
i really had office on my mba sold 3 months ago, and dont really remember was it 32 or 64 bit and which version was it. do you think i can call Microsoft and just tell them i had office on my previous mac and ask for new license?
what was the last version of ms office having one time license?(instead of yearly updates)
puzokumar wrote: you need to be in possession of the old laptop with the software for the Microsft customer service to give you the key for a new one. if its sold there is not much you can do.

Office 2016 or above (newer) does not require you to have the key to transfer to a new computer. You log in to the MyAccount page:
http://office.microsoft.com/myaccount - install and re-install Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013 and Office 365, or manage your Office 365 subscription, register Product Key

Office grants you the right to install it on only one machine at a time. So, on your new machine, log in to MyAccount with your Microsoft email address, click on install tab. There you will see your current installation. Click on the "deactivate" link to "free up" you license to install on the new machine. On the same page, there is a link to install on the new machine. Office will still be on the old machine, but in limited function mode. You can read and print files, but no longer edit existing ones or create new ones.
Feb 4, 2019
265 posts
373 upvotes
I keep coming across articles and YouTube videos (and even in the latest podcast from TheVerge) recommending me not to buy a new MacBook due to the upcoming transition to Apple Silicon. I already ordered a MacBook with slight misgivings, but they've only increased since then.

Is anybody else grappling with this decision? And if so, where did you end up and why?

I'm currently using a late 2013 MacBook Pro which has actually held up really well so I'm not desperate for a new laptop, but at the same time I want something a little lighter, sleeker, and I desire to USB C everything.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3370 posts
2041 upvotes
Vancouver
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm having a very tough time deciding between a MacBook Pro and Macbook Air. I feel either one meets my needs but I can't figure out what the real world differences of them are. Does the 10th gen vs 8th gen i5 make a noticeable difference? The touch bar seems cool but also not really sure it is overly important to me. Does the Macbook Air have backlit keyboard? That's a feature I couldn't give up from my current Mid-2014 MBP.
The MacBook Air is significantly handicapped in performance even with quad-core due to thermal limitations. If you need to run a stressful application for more than a minute, the processor is significant throttled due to heat. So even though both the Air and Pro have a quad-core on paper, the Pro with 8th gen significantly outperforms the Air with 10th gen in the real world.

The MacBook Pro also has a faster SSD due to more space on the logic board to hold chips in parallel.
Oct 28, 2016
154 posts
227 upvotes
AGTOM83 wrote: I keep coming across articles and YouTube videos (and even in the latest podcast from TheVerge) recommending me not to buy a new MacBook due to the upcoming transition to Apple Silicon. I already ordered a MacBook with slight misgivings, but they've only increased since then.

Is anybody else grappling with this decision? And if so, where did you end up and why?

I'm currently using a late 2013 MacBook Pro which has actually held up really well so I'm not desperate for a new laptop, but at the same time I want something a little lighter, sleeker, and I desire to USB C everything.
Don't stress about what half a dozen Youtubers say, this is a hot new topic and they will keep going around over it till the day Samsung Note event or OnePlus Z event comes around and they'll forget about this.
Apple will support Intel chips for way longer than what these Youtubers are saying. The user base for Intel based Mac users is significant to be let off in couple of years. People who have bought Mac Pro's worth several thousands of dollars won't dump them like that just because Apple decided to have its own silicon.
Also as much as R&D they have put in, the silicon is still untested in real world scenario, we know what happened with the "Butterfly Keyboard", The whole GPU recall for MacBooks and so on.

I am using an early 2013 MBP 13 and from what it looks like it won't be getting the Big Sur update. I am checking Apple Refurbished store or Best Buy for deals on the 2019 16 inch because these are reliable machines and will wait couple of years to see how the new silicon fairs out.
So don't stress about it, just buy any Macbook you like and it will serve you just as well as your current one for years to come.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1018 posts
711 upvotes
I just sold my macbook air 2013 13inches for 550.

Now I am in the market for new gadget.

I have a gaming pc, ps4 pro and xbox one x.

I am debating between 2020 macbook air base model and 12.9ipad pro. Both are $1169 plus tax = 1300 and free airpods. Almost 1100 bucks after selling airpods.

I will be needing a portable machine for youtube, browsing and document editing here and there so leaning towards Ipad with improvements to ipad os. I think it should be more than enough to get the job done.

What do you guys recommend?
Oct 28, 2016
154 posts
227 upvotes
achohan91 wrote: I just sold my macbook air 2013 13inches for 550.

Now I am in the market for new gadget.

I have a gaming pc, ps4 pro and xbox one x.

I am debating between 2020 macbook air base model and 12.9ipad pro. Both are $1169 plus tax = 1300 and free airpods. Almost 1100 bucks after selling airpods.

I will be needing a portable machine for youtube, browsing and document editing here and there so leaning towards Ipad with improvements to ipad os. I think it should be more than enough to get the job done.

What do you guys recommend?
Go with the iPad Pro, the screen is way better for content consumption especially the navigating part thanks to the 120Hz Pro-Motion display. iPad can do everything with ease that you have mention and it's more portable and convenient.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
746 upvotes
AGTOM83 wrote: I keep coming across articles and YouTube videos (and even in the latest podcast from TheVerge) recommending me not to buy a new MacBook due to the upcoming transition to Apple Silicon. I already ordered a MacBook with slight misgivings, but they've only increased since then.

Hyper9 wrote: Don't stress about what half a dozen Youtubers say, this is a hot new topic and they will keep going around over it till the day Samsung Note event or OnePlus Z event comes around and they'll forget about this.
Apple will support Intel chips for way longer than what these Youtubers are saying. The user base for Intel based Mac users is significant to be let off in couple of years. People who have bought Mac Pro's worth several thousands of dollars won't dump them like that just because Apple decided to have its own silicon.
Also as much as R&D they have put in, the silicon is still untested in real world scenario, we know what happened with the "Butterfly Keyboard", The whole GPU recall for MacBooks and so on.

I am using an early 2013 MBP 13 and from what it looks like it won't be getting the Big Sur update. I am checking Apple Refurbished store or Best Buy for deals on the 2019 16 inch because these are reliable machines and will wait couple of years to see how the new silicon fairs out.
So don't stress about it, just buy any Macbook you like and it will serve you just as well as your current one for years to come.
As with everything Apple, there is a great deal of FUD being circulated and promoted on the net and even in this thread.

Hyper9 provides a welcome and sensible reprieve from the fear mongers.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3370 posts
2041 upvotes
Vancouver
goodking wrote: As with everything Apple, there is a great deal of FUD being circulated and promoted on the net and even in this thread.

Hyper9 provides a welcome and sensible reprieve from the fear mongers.
If Apple intended to provide major software support for Intel-based Macs for more than 2 years, they would have said so. Tim Cook could have stated, "We will provide macOS updates for at least XX years."

The reality is, Tim stood on stage and said they would complete the transition in 2 years. The rest is PR damage control speak intended to reduce the Osborne effects.
Oct 28, 2016
154 posts
227 upvotes
Spinner wrote: If Apple intended to provide major software support for Intel-based Macs for more than 2 years, they would have said so. Tim Cook could have stated, "We will provide macOS updates for at least XX years."

The reality is, Tim stood on stage and said they would complete the transition in 2 years. The rest is PR damage control speak intended to reduce the Osborne effects.
That's "Hardware" transition completion, not software.
Apr 19, 2019
71 posts
30 upvotes
puzokumar wrote: you need to be in possession of the old laptop with the software for the Microsft customer service to give you the key for a new one. if its sold there is not much you can do.
Hahahapxl wrote: Office 2016 or above (newer) does not require you to have the key to transfer to a new computer. You log in to the MyAccount page:
http://office.microsoft.com/myaccount - install and re-install Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013 and Office 365, or manage your Office 365 subscription, register Product Key

Office grants you the right to install it on only one machine at a time. So, on your new machine, log in to MyAccount with your Microsoft email address, click on install tab. There you will see your current installation. Click on the "deactivate" link to "free up" you license to install on the new machine. On the same page, there is a link to install on the new machine. Office will still be on the old machine, but in limited function mode. You can read and print files, but no longer edit existing ones or create new ones.
thanks guys, so it seems mine was 2013 then and i dont have the laptop with me of course, i formatted/restored it before selling