Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple 2020 Back To School Promotion - Free AirPods with eligible Mac or iPad - can upgrade to AirPods Pro!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 3:05 pm
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
greenteal1 wrote: Anyone ever been audited though or have issues?
I've only been asked to show student ID once - and that was because they shipped my order with a mac in the wrong colour so a manager had to come and deal with the exchange and they were the only person who asked for my student ID out of all the purchases I have made with the education pricing.
Dec 9, 2013
457 posts
220 upvotes
Surrey
oscar1999 wrote: It's basically on the honour system. They do limit it to a certain number of devices per year.
Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per year
iPad: Two (2) may be purchased per year
So basically anybody can buy it online really.
It's odd, I don't wanna trick the system or anything, But I wanna buy it for my nephew who is about to go to highschool as a gift.
Do they ask for some sort of college card online?
Dec 26, 2006
939 posts
870 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: Does the Pencil work on the Air?

What happened to the Pro 3rd gen?
The various version get me really confused with their lineup.

I honestly rather add 3 more shares of Apple Stock to my portfolio then buy an iPad Pro, that price is ridiculous.

Currently for mobile work I have a SP6 and Tab A 10.1, the Surface is an incredible device but the Tab A is slower than a Galaxy S3 phone from a decade ago it makes no sense.

Knowing Apple's software and hardware optimization I doubt I'd need anything powerful to do the light editing and social media posting I'm trying to do, right now I'm using my SE² for that instead of my Note 10+ because iOS has the superior version of the apps I use.
iPad Air 2019 works with Pencil 1
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
yondaime604 wrote: So basically anybody can buy it online really.
It's odd, I don't wanna trick the system or anything, But I wanna buy it for my nephew who is about to go to highschool as a gift.
No they don't ask for anything (not even a school email).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5984 posts
556 upvotes
Kanata
iPad Air or pro, feel like iPad Air is going to be upgraded soon as you get the same deal last year with beats
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
rivet wrote: iPad Air or pro, feel like iPad Air is going to be upgraded soon as you get the same deal last year with beats
What are you going to use the iPad for?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5098 posts
1888 upvotes
Toronto
Gtaphotog wrote: Does the Pencil work on the Air?

What happened to the Pro 3rd gen?
The various version get me really confused with their lineup.

I honestly rather add 3 more shares of Apple Stock to my portfolio then buy an iPad Pro, that price is ridiculous.

Currently for mobile work I have a SP6 and Tab A 10.1, the Surface is an incredible device but the Tab A is slower than a Galaxy S3 phone from a decade ago it makes no sense.

Knowing Apple's software and hardware optimization I doubt I'd need anything powerful to do the light editing and social media posting I'm trying to do, right now I'm using my SE² for that instead of my Note 10+ because iOS has the superior version of the apps I use.
Oops, looks like a bit of confusion on my end. I thought you were asking about the MacBooks.

Regarding the iPads, the new Air (2019/3rd) works with only the Apple Pencil 1. So no wireless charge and less pressure sensitive.

The 3rd gen iPad Pro was released in 2018. It brought the new form factor and introduced the 11”.
The 4th Gen iPad Pro is a revision to this model released earlier this year which brought a faster processor (A14Z), 6 GB RAM and more camera lenses including support for Lidar. Also WiFi 6.

Lightroom Mobile is available on the iPads but Photoshop for iPad is meant for the Pro.
Lightroom Mobile works pretty similar to the desktop version but there is no support for luminosity masking.
Photoshop for iPad doesn’t let you import RAWs. You can’t bring in your own brushes or panels. You also can’t clip masks to adjustment layers.

It really comes down to the level of photo editing you do now. If you don’t dabble with luminosities or clipping masks, the Air is good enough.

I found PS pretty limiting on the iPad Pros. And if you shoot using brackets you can get around the luminosity gaps of Lightroom Mobile.
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Jun 15th, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5984 posts
556 upvotes
Kanata
Will be for my 12 year daughter for study, drawing, and entertaining, pretty much as her computer. I wish we can replace the iPad Air with iPad 10.5 pro version for the same price
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5098 posts
1888 upvotes
Toronto
yondaime604 wrote: So basically anybody can buy it online really.
I think most of your questions have been answered.
If its a moral dilemma, look up the edu price for the device you want, add taxes, round up and gift the card to your nephew. Let him buy it for himself using his ID.
If not, order it, wrap it up and gift it to him.
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
rivet wrote: Will be for my 12 year daughter for study, drawing, and entertaining, pretty much as her computer. I wish we can replace the iPad Air with iPad 10.5 pro version for the same price
Honestly I think the iPad Air or even the 10.2 inch iPad is enough for those uses.
May 4, 2020
76 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
kanewtz wrote: GAH...now do I return my 2018 iPad Pro 1TB LTE and purchase a 2020 iPad Pro 128GB LTE and with the AirPods Pro? I already have AirPods Pro and 2nd Gens.....i'd have to worry about selling these ones.

....decisions....decisions.
I think im glad I cancelled my 2018 iPad pro 1TB. Airpods are soo much easier to sell
Nov 13, 2019
172 posts
278 upvotes
Tarro wrote: I can report that I just got off the phone with Apple and mentioned how I'd ordered an iPad Pro on June 5th (now shipped, to be delivered late this week) and confirm that they WILL be sending me a set of AirPods with charging case! She didn't offer me the Pros, however. So if you recently placed an order definitely call and ask. I will also be adding Apple Care at 20% off.

Thanks, I passed along the info to my family member that made the order and he's already figured it out. Got the Pros for $110 extra. Said it took 45min-1hr of being bounced around between reps before someone was finally able to help.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5984 posts
556 upvotes
Kanata
That is what I feel, honestly I don't feel ipad air offer much more than 10.2 ipad, only relevant thing is A12 vs A10, that is about it, same 3G ram, other difference is pretty minor and I think Ipad Air is due for an update.
But with the back to school promotion, not much choice as 10.2 ipad is excluded from getting free Airpod.
oscar1999 wrote: Honestly I think the iPad Air or even the 10.2 inch iPad is enough for those uses.
Oct 14, 2017
897 posts
718 upvotes
rivet wrote: That is what I feel, honestly I don't feel ipad air offer much more than 10.2 ipad, only relevant thing is A12 vs A10, that is about it, same 3G ram, other difference is pretty minor and I think Ipad Air is due for an update.
But with the back to school promotion, not much choice as 10.2 ipad is excluded.
I mean it would not make sense for Apple to give a free airpods with an iPad 10.2. I would probably wait until Black Friday/Boxing Day as they usually go on sale then.