Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple 2020 Back To School Promotion - Free AirPods with eligible Mac or iPad - can upgrade to AirPods Pro!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 3:22 pm
Jun 23, 2003
385 posts
157 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: does anyone know if you do free engraving, can you still return that product?
For sure. Apple will hold onto that product and make sure they find a suitable person to resell a product that has been physically personalized and altered.

“Congrats Tim on Grad 2020 - Love Mom and Dad” for example, will be no issue to find someone else in North America who’s name is Tim, has a mom and a dad, and graduated something in 2020.

One can always ask at the store but it’s usually considered a special order, so a massive YMMV which usually end in a “no”.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33987 posts
19825 upvotes
Ottawa
tallshorty wrote: Just ordered an iPad 11" 256GB and airpod pro online and pickup in store. They didn't check for student ID.

I have no use for the airpod pro. Too bad I couldn't just get the credit towards the tablet. On the invoice, the discount was applied towards the iPad Pro and the Airpods at full price. So technically, can I not just return the Airpods and get the value refunded?
You'll be charged the non-discounted price of the iPad.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3368 posts
2041 upvotes
Vancouver
rogerrabbit168 wrote: does anyone know if you do free engraving, can you still return that product? Their return policy doesn’t seem like it indicates. Thx
Yes, because Apple refurbs iPads by putting a new chassis on the device regardless of any engraving.
Nov 6, 2011
501 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary
browna wrote: For sure. Apple will hold onto that product and make sure they find a suitable person to resell a product that has been physically personalized and altered.

“Congrats Tim on Grad 2020 - Love Mom and Dad” for example, will be no issue to find someone else in North America who’s name is Tim, has a mom and a dad, and graduated something in 2020.

One can always ask at the store but it’s usually considered a special order, so a massive YMMV which usually end in a “no”.
So you’re telling me that Apple maintains a database of sorts and when there’s a “match”, Apple is like “let’s unload that iPad, Jimmy?” (Unless you were being sarcastic, then post this in r/whoosh)

Apple has a very hard no-returns policy of engraved items with VERY few exceptions made, if ever. Yes, you’d still get a warranty replacement if the issue you’re having warrants that but straight-up returns are difficult.
Jun 23, 2003
385 posts
157 upvotes
ps3playa wrote: So you’re telling me that Apple maintains a database of sorts and when there’s a “match”, Apple is like “let’s unload that iPad, Jimmy?” (Unless you were being sarcastic, then post this in r/whoosh)
I don’t have a reddit account. Winking Face
Nov 15, 2003
70 posts
25 upvotes
Terrace
eyesonme wrote: took the promotion for macbook air + airpod pro. Unfortuntely the airpod is too big. After I returned it, I found surprisingly I only paid macbook air for 950$+tax. Wondering why in costco it's priced at 1500$+tax for the same item. Feel like saved 550+tax for no reason. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
vkizzle wrote: You'll be charged the non-discounted price of the iPad.
The above user returned the Airpod Pro and his discount on the Macbook remained. But got his from Costco, whereas I bought mine directly from Apple. Not sure if that would make a difference.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8148 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi all. I'm a PC guy and quite handy. But know nothing about Macs. Looking to get an iMac for my fiancee. The new 27" models.

How do they run on 8GB of memory?

From youtube videos, it looks like it's just the panel at the back with a button to pop it open and you just swap the memory module. So $200 to upgrade to 16GB doesn't seem worth it.

Also, thoughts on adding Apple Care for 20% off. I think it is $159?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33987 posts
19825 upvotes
Ottawa
tallshorty wrote: The above user returned the Airpod Pro and his discount on the Macbook remained. But got his from Costco, whereas I bought mine directly from Apple. Not sure if that would make a difference.
It would be nice to see some more data points, as I would also return the airpod pros, if they didn't clawback the student discount.
Jan 18, 2018
299 posts
412 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: does anyone know if you do free engraving, can you still return that product? Their return policy doesn’t seem like it indicates. Thx
Some interesting (and fun) replies to this.
Now, I don't have any personal experience of actually trying this, but when I was buying a few weeks back, I actually called to inquire. I was told without hesitation that Apple will absolutely take a return on an engraved iPad.
I was a little surprised, so I asked why/how, and his answer was that they take off the back and recycle the material anyway.

Not sure if that's accurate, but all that mattered was that he was saying no problem at all for them to refund.
I guess you might have to worry about a possible future resale.
Sep 28, 2011
396 posts
111 upvotes
Alberta
kenchau wrote: Hi all. I'm a PC guy and quite handy. But know nothing about Macs. Looking to get an iMac for my fiancee. The new 27" models.

From youtube videos, it looks like it's just the panel at the back with a button to pop it open and you just swap the memory module. So $200 to upgrade to 16GB doesn't seem worth it.

It’s trivial to upgrade the ram yourself on the 27” iMac, and Apple charges an arm and a leg for it. The iMac Pro is a different story, but it’s generally cheaper to get the base ram and upgrade it yourself.

If you go with the nano texture screen, I might consider AppleCare, but I’ve found desktops to be relatively stable for the most part. Not sure how reliable newer macs with the T2 chip are. My 2015 office iMac is pretty stable and will likely last many more years.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13030 posts
6849 upvotes
Southern Ontario
kenchau wrote: Hi all. I'm a PC guy and quite handy. But know nothing about Macs. Looking to get an iMac for my fiancee. The new 27" models.

Just buy your own compatible RAM sticks, it’ll literally take 1min to install via the back panel, follow any number of YouTube demo vids. Going through Apple is a rich person’s whim.

Apple Care is up to you. Without it after 1y you’re on your own. For example a logic board replacement is over $700. Or look up ifixit tutorials to see if you can give it a go. They also sell the tools. For the most part iMacs are pretty reliable.
Jul 31, 2015
457 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

I would buy Applecare for this iMac. It worked out great for me. One day before Applecare expired they replaced the display because there was slight ghosting, cleaned it all out (3 years of dust), and replaced my keyboard because the little rubber pads fell off.

I added after market RAM and put in a 2TB SSD after the final warranty expired.
Nov 26, 2019
13 posts
6 upvotes
Is it worth getting this deal? Or waiting for the new line of products to come out? I’m thinking about ordering near the last day of the promo & returning if the new line is better (e.g. iPad Air 4)
Mar 31, 2020
135 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
peji911 wrote: It's a good deal but I'm extremely curious as to how the ARM will look, especially round 1.

I would but a BMP 16" but it's 8th gen intel (not 10 like the 13") and the ARM is around the corner so I don't know what to do lol.
brensavoyton wrote: For me personally I would have jumped on the 16” mbp with the newly added 5600m but because the 13” got a refresh with 10th gen and faster ram im going to wait.. worst case I can try to grab a refurb sometime down the line with the specs I wanted... hopefully
I believe its a 9th gen chip and not 8th? And I recall reading on reddit, I think, that there's only a small % increase between the ninth and tenth gen.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Mar 31, 2020
135 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
On a separate note, any good offer going on which I can club? Say at Aeroplan or Rakuten, etc.?

Planning to make a purchase this week or later this month (hopefully, I'll also know about the new ARMs before the return period is over).
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?