Expired Hot Deals

Apple

Apple TV 4K Refurbished (2021 2nd Gen) 32GB 189$ (40$ off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2021 8:48 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2006
524 posts
90 upvotes
Boucherville

[Apple] Apple TV 4K Refurbished (2021 2nd Gen) 32GB 189$ (40$ off)

Great deal in my opinion. Yes, Apple TV is the most expensive media streamer but it's the most flexible and powerful. Also the best if you're locked in the Apple ecosystem like we are. ;)

Impulse buy on my end to replace the secondary Apple TV HD we have.
Saw the news this morning at https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/202 ... al-ps4-ps5 - glad it also applied to the canadian store.

Cheers
66 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3682 posts
2311 upvotes
SW ON
Shakkan wrote: Yes, Apple TV is the most expensive media streamer but it's the most flexible and powerful.
Not the most expensive nor the most flexible. Maybe the most powerful now with AV1 support. The most expensive and flexible is Nvidia SHIELD. One can't customize Apple TV nor can one sideload apps, nor install VPN.
EDIT: Apple TV 4K doesn't support AV1, I was wrong. So, it's not even the most powerful device.
Last edited by alpovs on Sep 20th, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 2, 2006
524 posts
90 upvotes
Boucherville
alpovs wrote: Not the most expensive nor the most flexible. Maybe the most powerful now with AV1 support. The most expensive and flexible is Nvidia SHIELD. One can't customize Apple TV nor can one sideload apps, nor install VPN.
I stand corrected. I had in mind Chromecast, Fire sticks, Roku, etc.
May 9, 2020
164 posts
527 upvotes
This or the new 4k firestick that will probably be on sale for BF?
Jun 2, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I bought a bnew 4K Apple TV 32GB off a guy that got them from Telus for free (in a package).
Got it for $140 which is a very sweet deal.
IT guy | dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | 5.2.4 Home Theatre
Mar 16, 2009
178 posts
95 upvotes
Halifax
I've used both - but I own the NVIDIA Shield (2017 model). I much prefer the Shield.
Jul 13, 2006
99 posts
44 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've used both as well, Apple TV mainly for youtube , I found it has less ads than any other tv boxes if you don't have premium account, the rest is more convenient with Nvidia Shield.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1922 posts
11648 upvotes
Cronos647 wrote: This or the new 4k firestick that will probably be on sale for BF?
Tesla or a used 2009 Civic?

Five Guys or McDouble?
Mar 14, 2011
326 posts
160 upvotes
GTA
Great device if you use other apple products like iphone and ipad (easy to mirror screens even if the tv or monitor doesn't support airplay), there is also "apple arcade" games with controller support. But if you just want to watch their tv content that's available on so many devices already.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3038 posts
2251 upvotes
Victoria
32 GB is OOS

64 GB available at $209 ($40 off)
Nov 22, 2015
705 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
Managed to score a 32GB one. I have an Apple TV HD at home and have an entry level 4K TV. Just switched to 1,5Gbit fibre so I'll give this a try.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3043 posts
1800 upvotes
EDMONTON
How old are your TVs? I bought a 2019 model samsung TV for less than $400 a year ago, and it has AirPlay.

And some of you guys paying $200 for this just to watch youtube makes no sense to me lol
teksavvy sucks
Dec 25, 2012
661 posts
872 upvotes
Ontario
Leverage wrote: Tesla or a used 2009 Civic?

Five Guys or McDouble?
Used 2009 civic many years of reliablity for under 8k. A-B car. Low maintenance. Cheap gas equivalent to charging. Also easy resell on a depreciating asset .

McDouble x 4.... delicious.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3043 posts
1800 upvotes
EDMONTON
Cronos647 wrote: This or the new 4k firestick that will probably be on sale for BF?
Definitely the Firestick, unless you absolutely must have airplay. The comparison of Tesla vs. used Civic is literally the dumbest comparison ever haha

You can install Youtube with no ads (without premium) and Kodi. Kodi is amazing. If you don't have Kodi + realdebrid, you are seriously missing out on some awesome 4K streaming.

You can install Wolf Launcher on the firestick, which is literally the fastest, no BS, simple homescreen you can have.

The screencasting onto the firestick works very well too.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3436 posts
4400 upvotes
Oakville
umadbrah wrote: Definitely the Firestick, unless you absolutely must have airplay. The comparison of Tesla vs. used Civic is literally the dumbest comparison ever haha

You can install Youtube with no ads (without premium) and Kodi. Kodi is amazing. If you don't have Kodi + realdebrid, you are seriously missing out on some awesome 4K streaming.

You can install Wolf Launcher on the firestick, which is literally the fastest, no BS, simple homescreen you can have.

Please teach me Guru

I have the firestick and the latest chromast Google tv as well.

How do I setup Kodi and the realdebrid ?

PM if you don't want to post here. Thanks mate
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3436 posts
4400 upvotes
Oakville
umadbrah wrote: Definitely the Firestick, unless you absolutely must have airplay. The comparison of Tesla vs. used Civic is literally the dumbest comparison ever haha

Please teach me Guru

I have the firestick and the latest chromast Google tv as well.

How do I setup Kodi and the realdebrid ?

PM if you don't want to post here. Thanks mate
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3682 posts
2311 upvotes
SW ON
catcatcat wrote: I've used both as well, Apple TV mainly for youtube , I found it has less ads than any other tv boxes if you don't have premium account, the rest is more convenient with Nvidia Shield.
Install SmartTubeNext on your SHIELD and you will see zero ads. Google it. It's an open source YouTube replacement that cuts out ads and more.
Last edited by alpovs on Sep 20th, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2005
734 posts
291 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Install SmartNextTube on your SHIELD and you will see zero ads. Google it. It's an open source YouTube replacement that cuts out ads and more.
Is that the same as vanced? I want the shield for
upscaling and vanced but spatial audio on atv appeals.
Sep 13, 2018
171 posts
313 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: How old are your TVs? I bought a 2019 model samsung TV for less than $400 a year ago, and it has AirPlay.

And some of you guys paying $200 for this just to watch youtube makes no sense to me lol
Yeah I don't understand the market or use case for this outside of having a TV bought just before everything became "smart". What are people using this for? Is it to play games? Easy to share content between your phone/TV? or just convenience of having everything under one box instead of having to go to separate apps (as I believe Apple TV integrates everything?)
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3682 posts
2311 upvotes
SW ON
setTopbox wrote: Is that the same as vanced? I want the shield for
upscaling and vanced but spatial audio on atv appeals.
The same principle, different application and developer. Vanced is for tablets and phones (control by touch screen), SmartTubeNext is for Android TV (control by remote).