Apple "Buy Now, Pay Later" Starting August 11th

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 1:48 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2021
201 posts
279 upvotes

Apple "Buy Now, Pay Later" Starting August 11th

Apple will soon launch a financing program (probably similar to samsung and paybright), so you can finance your purchases (iPhone, iPads, Macs)

This may be better than getting an iPhone from the carrier and paying over 24 months, if your plan isnt eligible for an upgrade.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/08/03/appl ... august-11/

Edit: Link to the program: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/financing
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 11th, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added direct link to the offer
Thread Summary
Details

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/financing

Get 0% APR for up to 12 months.‡

‡0% APR payment plans available on approved credit for iPhone purchases over $99, and iPad and Mac purchases over $199. Offer valid on qualifying purchases of eligible Apple products, at Apple Store locations, apple.com/ca, on the Apple Store app and by calling 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE. Financing provided, and all transactions are subject to approval, by PayBright. Financing offers may vary from time to time and may be amended or cancelled at any time.
188 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6925 upvotes
The NORTH
Don't they have this in the states and china? Was only a matter of time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18852 posts
2535 upvotes
Woodbridge
This pandemic is making it hard for some people to make ends meet...

I gotta have that new ($1,500+) iPhone!! lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7208 posts
7867 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Don't they have this in the states and china? Was only a matter of time.
This is different due to Apple Card not available in Canada

"Apple last year presented U.S. customers with a similar interest-free monthly installment system that covers a variety of Apple products through its Apple Card credit card. Apple Card is not available outside of Apple's domestic market, however, leaving the company to forge partnerships and create its own deferred payment solutions in other countries.'
https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08 ... eport-says

Also major product lines like Apple Watch and AirPods will be left out of the Canadian plan
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1254 posts
1631 upvotes
Waterloo Region
xCameron94 wrote: Apple will soon launch a financing program (probably similar to samsung and paybright), so you can finance your purchases (iPhone, iPads, Macs)

This may be better than getting an iPhone from the carrier and paying over 24 months, if your plan isnt eligible for an upgrade.

This is a huge deal! All of a sudden The carriers aren't the only avenue for Canadians to get the latest iphones and spread the payment out over months/years. The barrier to getting an iphone just got lowered. Those ultra expensive phone/data plans are no longer required to get iphones anymore. Now you can get a Freedom mobile $99/Year plan and add a Fido 4GB Data only plan on the 2nd SIM slot, and you're all set for approximately $20/month + whatever the financing for the iphone model you choose is (approximately $71/month for a $1,500 iphone after taxes), and you'd still be coming up way ahead.
for those looking to grumble that Freedom's service is spotty in their area, you only need to setup the Freedom sim to connect via your Fido data connection.

The Carriers are really going to hate this.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4160 posts
988 upvotes
centre of universe
bembol wrote: This pandemic is making it hard for some people to make ends meet...

LMAO.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1467 posts
431 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Gangsta101 wrote: This is a huge deal! All of a sudden The carriers aren't the only avenue for Canadians to get the latest iphones and spread the payment out over months/years. The barrier to getting an iphone just got lowered. Those ultra expensive phone/data plans are no longer required to get iphones anymore. Now you can get a Freedom mobile $99/Year plan and add a Fido 4GB Data only plan on the 2nd SIM slot, and you're all set for approximately $20/month + whatever the financing for the iphone model you choose is (approximately $71/month for a $1,500 iphone after taxes), and you'd still be coming up way ahead.
for those looking to grumble that Freedom's service is spotty in their area, you only need to setup the Freedom sim to connect via your Fido data connection.

I may sound like a broken record (asked this in a few different threads) but - are you currently doing this with a $99 / year Freedom plan? I understand the concept but missing a few details (this is for an iPhone):
- Do you have "Allow Cellular Data Switching" ON or OFF in Settings - Cellular - Cellular Data? I prefer it to be OFF so there won't be pay-per-use data charges, but does this impact the ability to send MMS?
- My understanding this can be achieved by forcing the Freedom SIM to connect to the Nationwide network while inside Freedom's own coverage area. This should fail to connect (as Freedom actively prevents it) thus "WiFi calling" kicks in and "Freedom using Cellular Data" appears at the top
- Can you keep the above settings on a permanent basis, essentially your Freedom SIM always being in "WiFi calling" mode? Any limitation here?
- What happens when you step out of Freedom's coverage area? I would expect it should be smooth as there won't be a transition between Cellular" and "WiFi calling" modes, it's all "WiFi"

TIA
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1735 posts
2749 upvotes
Canada, eh?
bembol wrote: This pandemic is making it hard for some people to make ends meet...

Bet its with 10-20% interest or something like that lol. You know...just like credit cards!
Oct 11, 2019
299 posts
217 upvotes
Calgary
Gangsta101 wrote: This is a huge deal! All of a sudden The carriers aren't the only avenue for Canadians to get the latest iphones and spread the payment out over months/years. The barrier to getting an iphone just got lowered. Those ultra expensive phone/data plans are no longer required to get iphones anymore. Now you can get a Freedom mobile $99/Year plan and add a Fido 4GB Data only plan on the 2nd SIM slot, and you're all set for approximately $20/month + whatever the financing for the iphone model you choose is (approximately $71/month for a $1,500 iphone after taxes), and you'd still be coming up way ahead.

I got excited at this too but then remembered even with “0% finance” PayBright often charges “administrative fees” like BestBuy and other store credit companies, essentially building in the interest from the start. Hopefully this is not the case and the promotional period is still occurring during the iPhone 13 launch.
Dec 1, 2017
43 posts
17 upvotes
ottawa
secretalcoholic wrote: Bet its with 10-20% interest or something like that lol. You know...just like credit cards!
I believe is 0%

This is a great option. And allows more freedom to move from carrier to carrier when the phone is paid for separately.

BYOD rates no commitments
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1254 posts
1631 upvotes
Waterloo Region
wally_walrus wrote: I may sound like a broken record (asked this in a few different threads) but - are you currently doing this with a $99 / year Freedom plan? I understand the concept but missing a few details (this is for an iPhone):

TIA
Apologies, I do not have an iPhone currently. I do know I tested it a while back with an XR and it worked, but didn't continue since I didn't have any need to travel due to Covid. I'm sure there are users here who'd be willing to help out.
Aug 27, 2019
29 posts
32 upvotes
hmm, your everywhere. well to answer your q's
wally_walrus wrote: - Do you have "Allow Cellular Data Switching" ON or OFF in Settings - Cellular - Cellular Data? I prefer it to be OFF so there won't be pay-per-use data charges, but does this impact the ability to send MMS?
It works either way, I usually keep it off.
wally_walrus wrote: - Can you keep the above settings on a permanent basis, essentially your Freedom SIM always being in "WiFi calling" mode? Any limitation here?
Yes, you can keep it as long as you want to. Most I tested it was 1 month continuously. No limitations that I have found so far.
wally_walrus wrote: - What happens when you step out of Freedom's coverage area? I would expect it should be smooth as there won't be a transition between Cellular" and "WiFi calling" modes, it's all "WiFi"
Depends on which plan you have, the $99 freedom-only network. If you have this is will always be perma-wifi calling. however, if you are on the old $99 Nation-Wide/$129 Nation-Wide plan it will go on to the roaming carrier in which you selected.

The main method that I use is cellular-first (volte), not forcing wifi calling and it will automatically switch to using the second sim data only plan over wifi if the freedom signal is weak, or there is no signal. there is no point in being on wifi calling 24/7.

-Navigat0r
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1467 posts
431 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Navigat0r wrote: hmm, your everywhere. well to answer your q's

It works either way, I usually keep it off.

Yes, you can keep it as long as you want to. Most I tested it was 1 month continuously. No limitations that I have found so far.

Depends on which plan you have, the $99 freedom-only network. If you have this is will always be perma-wifi calling. however, if you are on the old $99 Nation-Wide/$129 Nation-Wide plan it will go on to the roaming carrier in which you selected.

The main method that I use is cellular-first (volte), not forcing wifi calling and it will automatically switch to using the second sim data only plan over wifi if the freedom signal is weak, or there is no signal. there is no point in being on wifi calling 24/7.

-Navigat0r

Thank you! Appreciate it!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2828 posts
153 upvotes
Calgary
what credit agency for checking and what min score? thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7208 posts
7867 upvotes
Toronto
kocoman wrote: what credit agency for checking and what min score? thx
Apple is partnering with PayBright

From https://help.paybright.com/hc/en-us/art ... my-credit-
Does PayBright check my credit?

It depends! We do an instant credit check with a bureau (such as Equifax or TransUnion) if you are paying in Equal Monthly Payments or if you are using a PayBright Virtual Card.

We don't do a hard credit check when you prequalify or when you Pay in 4 with our bi-weekly payment plan!

Tip: If you are applying for a Pay Monthly plan through multiple retailers, each application will be subject to a hard credit check.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16996 posts
15600 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Shit this is great news!!! Sick of plunking down cash upfront LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1195 posts
690 upvotes
Manitoba
Good alternative.

The RFD way is still buying a previous generation iPhone for half the price but will work as well with day to day usage.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1379 posts
1376 upvotes
Markham, ON
The FIDO data-only plan is no longer an option as of today.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8554 posts
9282 upvotes
The Prairies
Apple’s ‘buy now, pay later’ program is coming to Canada on August 11th, according to Bloomberg. The report states that the tech giant plans to launch the ‘buy now, pay later’ program for Apple devices through Affirm Holdings “this month” at both the company’s online and physical stores in Canada. Bloomberg says it obtained news of the program’s launch through a note sent to Apple retail employees in Canada.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com

Last edited by coolintheshade on Aug 4th, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.