• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2021 1:00 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
547 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto

Apple car discussion

Looks like Apple has finally confirm they are indeed making a car. Hyundai-Kia will most likely be building it however I believe GM will also be partnering with Apple to build this car.
Not a lot specs or information out yet but we can assume that it will be very popular among the majority of the population.
I have family members that own Apple products and they all tell me its easy to use, takes great pictures, does not lag/crash, just a solid product, and not overly expensive.

Fully autonomous
Zero maintenance cost (monthly subscription to use the car?)
Apple product integration

What do you guys/gals think about autonomous vehicles? Would you rather drive yourself to work/park/shopping or let the car get you there?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1157 posts
1388 upvotes
Barrie, ON
It's a pipe dream to think any car marker is going to have level 5 autonomy in our lifetime.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1591 posts
1907 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
apple-car-2024-you-2432278/3/#p33778868

This topic has already been created; mods, feel free to merge if you think it's appropriate.

I'm looking forward to it, but they are so far behind Tesla that it'll be a huge uphill battle for Apple.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: It's a pipe dream to think any car marker is going to have level 5 autonomy in our lifetime.
Unless you think COVID is going to shorten our life expectance, I'm sure that we will see that in the next 50 years. Just not on Elon's timetable.

And most likely it'll come from the Chinese as a side effect of a heavy surveillance state = more data to improve AI faster.
TuxedoBlack wrote: I'm looking forward to it, but they are so far behind Tesla that it'll be a huge uphill battle for Apple.
The fact that they are piggy backed onto traditional car makers means Apple isn't interested in car making but a way to bolster amount of offerings in their ecosystem.
Last edited by Xtrema on Feb 4th, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2014
180 posts
160 upvotes
Burlington, ON
thelastword wrote: I have family members that own Apple products and they all tell me its easy to use, takes great pictures, does not lag/crash, just a solid product, and not overly expensive.
Apple products are quite expensive compared to alternatives. It's positioned as a premium product with a premium price tag. Cross your fingers Apple doesn't use its tried and true approach if they develop a car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
FilaGuy wrote: Apple products are quite expensive compared to alternatives. It's positioned as a premium product with a premium price tag. Cross your fingers Apple doesn't use its tried and true approach if they develop a car.
It's a lifestyle brand. What do you expect?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1157 posts
1388 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Xtrema wrote: Unless you think COVID is going to shorten our life expectance, I'm sure that we will see that in the next 50 years. Just not on Elon's timetable.

And most likely it'll come from the Chinese as a side effect of a heavy surveillance state = more data to improve AI faster.
Hopefully we're both alive in 50 years to see if you're right or not :) I'm guessing 75-100 years at best.
Dec 16, 2014
878 posts
452 upvotes
Easter Island
i prefer tesla's approach. don't think average consumers are keen on subscription model for car ownership.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3129 posts
4197 upvotes
Edmonton
I just got a new M1 Macbook and my wife just switched to iPhone 12. Considering just going deep into the ecosystem and getting Apple One. Then I can get a car later Face With Tears Of Joy

If it's any good
[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
547 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto
TuxedoBlack wrote: apple-car-2024-you-2432278/3/#p33778868

This topic has already been created; mods, feel free to merge if you think it's appropriate.

I'm looking forward to it, but they are so far behind Tesla that it'll be a huge uphill battle for Apple.
Not sure why so many people are joking around about Apple making a car. We all saw what Tesla has done.

If Apple can make a car that will improve the quality of one's life majority of the people will buy it. No longer needing to drive is one less thing to worry about.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4706 posts
3816 upvotes
Pay apple price and get a kia lol

Wonder if apple car will have Android auto lol
Mar 16, 2007
291 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
I think it is good that Apple contracts out the manufacturing part as it is not Apple's core competency. Nio is already doing this in China .

Will be interesting to see what edges over other competition that Apple car can bring in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7418 posts
5445 upvotes
Kitchener
nioero wrote: Will be interesting to see what edges over other competition that Apple car can bring in the future.
The charger DEFINITELY won't be included ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
karakoram wrote: i prefer tesla's approach. don't think average consumers are keen on subscription model for car ownership.
Most of us are already leasing. And Tesla is charging a subscription right now for you to stream Spotify/Netflix and FSD will also be on sub.
https://electrek.co/2020/04/30/tesla-se ... ice-price/

Also with NIO in China you also don't own the batteries as they take on Elon's original idea, battery swapping instead of Supercharging.
mxthor3 wrote: Hopefully we're both alive in 50 years to see if you're right or not :) I'm guessing 75-100 years at best.
It gives me hope since Moore's Law seems to be alive again in ARM processors. And Tesla is almost there but it's now a fight to be the first for their AI to learn about the edge cases. They are also moving to 7nm process for HW4 which once again may improve that amount of processing power in the same footprint.
Apr 5, 2017
840 posts
604 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm optimistic they will be successful regardless of what people may think. They have the best chip set in a phone. I prefer their phones (since iPhone 8) over any Androids - which a lot of are junk with low lifespan/relevancy/resale.

Translating that basic user friendly pretty interface with sleekness, simplicity, etc. packaging I'd say that formula in to a car is going to be a major hit.

Plus they are pushing for innovation, greenification and ethical business practice. And seem to care about privacy enough to jab at The Zuck's FB.

Many will be going subscription based as vehicle ownership becomes less and less of a priority for newer generations that may afford less and less as time goes on unless they can get proper guidance in to getting in to fields that will be desperately needing people that pay good. Heck, might even save money depending on how little you need the vehicle and not having to lug around expenses: insurance, reg, fuel/pwr, maintenance, storage/parking, road congestion taxes, increased carbon taxation, inflation of everything etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2966 posts
2505 upvotes
Toronto

Apple Car: Here's What We Know So Far

Published on 25 Feb 2021

Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world, and it could become massively more valuable if it can make a splash in cars. The past six years of speculation around the so-called Apple Car have been a roller coaster. First Apple was reportedly building a car. Then the company wasn't building a car, just the guts of a vehicle. Most recently, sources told CNBC that Apple will manufacture an autonomous car with Hyundai and Kia in Georgia. Now that might be out, too.

Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world, and it could become massively more valuable if it can make a splash in cars – the global auto and mobility market is worth about $10 trillion compared with the $715 billion smartphone market, according to Mordor Intelligence.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.