Cell Phones

Apple Care+ monthly plan: will it block region/country switching?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 11:18 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
251 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto

Apple Care+ monthly plan: will it block region/country switching?

Sometimes, Apple Care executives just can't seem to understand a question. So annoying!

I am mulling whether or not I should go for the monthly AppleCare+ plan but I am trying to understand if doing so would then block my ability to switch the country/region that my App Store is linked to. I notice this is the case now because I have an ongoing AppleTV subscription (which I intend to cancel soon anyway).

Thing is, I absolutely need to switch regions now and then because there are a couple of banking/fin./wallet apps which will, otherwise, not update and that leads to usage issues.

Any workarounds that people are aware of (one is I could go for the 24-month option, but I'd prefer monthly now)?

And more importantly, will going for a monthly AppleCare+ subscription continue to lock me to the current country/region?

Appreciate any suggestions.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4848 posts
3117 upvotes
LaLaLand
If it's just for apps, you could have two Apple IDs. You would have to log in with the other country ID and then update your apps. When done, you would have to log back in with your other Apple ID. I do this because I have some apps that are only available in certain countries.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17660 posts
4138 upvotes
Toronto
You can't change regions of an Apple ID if you have subscriptions on the account unless you cancel all subscriptions (anything automatically charged to your Apple ID is a subscription based on my past experience), the account has a gift card balance, or the account is a member of Apple Family Sharing.

I have apps on my iPad and iPhone from the USA and Canada that were installed using different IDs. When there is an app update for a Canada app and I'm signed into the app store with my USA account, I am prompted to enter the password for my Canada ID in order to update the app. This eliminates my need to change regions.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
251 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: If it's just for apps, you could have two Apple IDs. You would have to log in with the other country ID and then update your apps. When done, you would have to log back in with your other Apple ID. I do this because I have some apps that are only available in certain countries.
audit13 wrote: You can't change regions of an Apple ID if you have subscriptions on the account unless you cancel all subscriptions (anything automatically charged to your Apple ID is a subscription based on my past experience), the account has a gift card balance, or the account is a member of Apple Family Sharing.

I have apps on my iPad and iPhone from the USA and Canada that were installed using different IDs. When there is an app update for a Canada app and I'm signed into the app store with my USA account, I am prompted to enter the password for my Canada ID in order to update the app. This eliminates my need to change regions.
Thank you, I will do that going forward then. I'll set up a new Apple ID and re-download the apps specific to the other country. And yes, this is just for apps; specifically, to update them when I am unable to switch from the Canadian app store.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?