• Jun 25th, 2018 8:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3321 posts
1222 upvotes
London, ON

[Apple] FTL: Faster Than Light (iPad iOS App) $2.79+tax

I’m not sure if FTL was taken off the App Store, but It’s back?

For $2.79, this is a STEAL.

Edit: Not sure how I got the “Slovakian” link when I googled the link via Canadian google..? But non the less I changed it to the Canadian version as per poster @Baconnow.

Cheers.
Last edited by Sejad on Jun 22nd, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2625 posts
790 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
And for those that are curious....

FTL is a spaceship simulation game
Mar 12, 2017
167 posts
90 upvotes
+1. I have this on PC and it has endless playback!
Jul 8, 2007
919 posts
431 upvotes
One of my favorite games of all time. I only played on the pc but it should be easy to play on an iPad because you are able to pause at any time and give orders. The music is fantastic in this game!
Dec 5, 2016
107 posts
56 upvotes
Don't buy it.

If you do, definitely don't launch it as you're about to go to sleep, you'll find yourself battling the rebel mothership 2.5 hours later and you'll be tired the next day.
Aug 27, 2009
627 posts
347 upvotes
What game is this kind of like?? It's super well reviewed but I can't see myself enjoying a 'spaceship simulation' game.

I don't particularly like simulation games (SIMs/Civilization series, Tycoon etc.)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1607 posts
832 upvotes
lleb13 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 9:08 am
What game is this kind of like?? It's super well reviewed but I can't see myself enjoying a 'spaceship simulation' game.

I don't particularly like simulation games (SIMs/Civilization series, Tycoon etc.)
Its not at all like CIV

Its a rogue-like strategy game where the environment is a spaceship simulation with RNG elements to it. I have the game on PC and have logged a ton of hours in it (might be my highest after CIV5). Its a ton of fun, but can be pretty brutal and unforgiving at times. Definitely worth $3.

That said, when I first got the game, I played it for a few hours and decided it wasn't for me. I put it down, and then came back a month or so later, played again and was hooked. You're going to get your ass handed to you the first couple tries, don't get discouraged, learn from your mistakes and then the game starts to get really fun.
Aug 27, 2009
627 posts
347 upvotes
wildzero wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 9:17 am
Its not at all like CIV

Its a rogue-like strategy game where the environment is a spaceship simulation with RNG elements to it. I have the game on PC and have logged a ton of hours in it (might be my highest after CIV5). Its a ton of fun, but can be pretty brutal and unforgiving at times. Definitely worth $3.

That said, when I first got the game, I played it for a few hours and decided it wasn't for me. I put it down, and then came back a month or so later, played again and was hooked. You're going to get your ass handed to you the first couple tries, don't get discouraged, learn from your mistakes and then the game starts to get really fun.
Thanks, fair point for 3 bucks why not...

Last question for anyone, does this play nice with the ipad mini (screen real estate wise)?
Sep 4, 2007
716 posts
180 upvotes
lleb13 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 9:08 am

Rogue-like meaning each game is a new run through to the end. If you die, you start a new run-through (there is no return to previous save point unless you manual copy your save file out of game)

You jump from planet to planet, sector to sector until you reach the end sector where you have to destroy the enemy mothership in a series of battles.

You get the pick your base ship with starting crew, and earn upgrades/crew along the way. Each planet and sector is randomized. You can run into enemies, stranded aliens, traders and shops, free resources, asteroid fields, etc.

Battle with another ship is sort of top-down, real time, your weapons are on timers that fire periodically but you need to manage your crew in real time to man the stations, put out fires, repair hull leaks, fight off boarders. They also have life bars and can die from fighting, fire, or lack of oxygen. Your crew also gets experience from doing things repeatedly. The good thing is you can pause this real time by pressing Space bar to think about your next steps but you can't do anything while paused except to think. If you misplay your battle, you can lose one of your crewmate and that can easily screw up the rest of your run.

Once battle is over, it goes back to 'turn-base' like where you can take your time thinking about which planet to jump to. You need to plan out your pathing through the planets because you have to manage your fuel and also out-run the ships that are chasing you.

It's a very fun game with lots of action that you can play at your own pace.
Nov 20, 2008
845 posts
136 upvotes
only ipad? No love for iphone?
Oct 29, 2006
69 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
does this require an data/internet connection to play? also curious how this looks on iPhone.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3237 posts
1197 upvotes
Ontario
I question it being a spaceship *simulation* game. I'd suspect it's not really much of a simulation. :)
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3900 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
TCWeasel wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 11:26 am
I question it being a spaceship *simulation* game. I'd suspect it's not really much of a simulation. :)
I like to think of it as like a Star Trek-style captain simulator. Meaning that it's like making decisions and giving orders to perform tasks (firing on enemy ships, sending crewmembers to different battle stations or to fight fires, engage the enemy etc., upgrading your ship) using a point-and-click interface, rather than actually technically performing any of those tasks.
Sep 8, 2007
319 posts
117 upvotes
Shows $2.79 for me even better. bought!