Computers & Electronics

Apple M1 iMac...underwhelming. M1 Mac Mini + accessories?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 12:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
161 posts
257 upvotes

Apple M1 iMac...underwhelming. M1 Mac Mini + accessories?

I was really hoping the iMac would come with something big to warrant the almost $700 premium other than nice colours and a nice screen.

I'm looking at a Mac Mini and a decent 27" 4K monitor and decent web cam, for a grade schooler (....and light Steam gaming for me). Possible to fit under the $700 premium difference, or just pay it. I highly prefer an external monitor so it could be shared between a raspberry pi, maybe a future PC, and other devices.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
34 replies
Dec 22, 2007
867 posts
490 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not in love with all in ones in general guess it goes back to the tv/vcr combos. To me it looks like an ipad with a stand attached. if you have the space get the two separate units that way you can upgrade either the computer or monitor separately. Im sure you can mount the mini on the back of the monitor. it wont be as slim but why does it need to be in the first place.
Sep 16, 2015
475 posts
972 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I bought an M1 Mac mini in December. Having a built-in power supply and HDMI output along with 2 thunderbolt/usb and 2 USB ports makes the mini the most expandable of the current Apple Silicon product line. I don't think I've ever consciously heard the unit's fan running, either.

I'm currently using my mini with an old keyboard and mouse from my ancient 2009 iMac. Highly recommended piece of gear!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7013 upvotes
Ottawa
What's your question exactly? Certainly, the Mac Mini is more modular, but won't look as svelte and there will be more cables to run. The Mac Mini is the better value.

I would even consider getting a 32" inch 4K monitor instead of a 27".....it's great for productivity and even my grade schooler is benefiting from the size for her online learning right now.

Unfortunately my wife is set on the iMac with its colors, she loves it so that's what we're getting. We have the computer on the dining room table and having an iMac helps minimize the clutter.
Last edited by warpdrive on Apr 30th, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11557 posts
14335 upvotes
Vancouver
jaybeeg wrote: I bought an M1 Mac mini in December. Having a built-in power supply and HDMI output along with 2 thunderbolt/usb and 2 USB ports makes the mini the most expandable of the current Apple Silicon product line. I don't think I've ever consciously heard the unit's fan running, either.

I'm currently using my mini with an old keyboard and mouse from my ancient 2009 iMac. Highly recommended piece of gear!
Dude, it's like you and I are the same person lol. I could have written all of that truthfully too.
Sep 16, 2015
475 posts
972 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Kiraly wrote: Dude, it's like you and I are the same person lol. I could have written all of that truthfully too.
I haven't pulled the trigger on a nice 27 or 28-inch monitor yet, though. Will probably watch for a good deal around Thanksgiving. It is incredible how much snappier this machine is than my old Core2Duo beast (even after I upgraded it with an SSD).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
jaybeeg wrote: I haven't pulled the trigger on a nice 27 or 28-inch monitor yet, though. Will probably watch for a good deal around Thanksgiving. It is incredible how much snappier this machine is than my old Core2Duo beast (even after I upgraded it with an SSD).
Core 2 Duo? Those things are over a decade old!
Sep 16, 2015
475 posts
972 upvotes
Calgary, AB
EugW wrote: Core 2 Duo? Those things are over a decade old!
Yup, and it still runs perfectly. Hoping to get a decade out of the new mini, too. We'll see.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
jaybeeg wrote: Yup, and it still runs perfectly. Hoping to get a decade out of the new mini, too. We'll see.
I have two Core 2 Duo machines (late 2008 MacBook 2.0 GHz and 2009 MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz) running Catalina. But damn, they're slow, even with 8 GB RAM and SSD. Ironically, I can't really use my fastest Core 2 Duo MacBook, which is a 2.4 GHz, because it's an early 2008 model so it's stuck on an older OS. However, my main MacBook is a 12" 2017 model with 1.2 GHz Core m3. Performance isn't fast, but it's pretty decent nonetheless... speaking of which...

I am going to see if it's feasible to replace my 2007 El Capitan 8-core 3.0 GHz Xeon Mac Pro with the 12" MacBook, but using the same 30" Cinema Display with some dongles I have on order. I can already use the monitor with the MacBook, but have no USB or power support with the current dongles, so that's not practical. The new dongles hopefully will give me power delivery to keep the MacBook charged, and at least USB 2 support. No point in using the Core 2 Duo machines, because as mentioned, they're slow.

However, most of this is just for fun, since my machine is a 2017 Core i5 iMac.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1482 posts
840 upvotes
restartRFD wrote: I was really hoping the iMac would come with something big to warrant the almost $700 premium other than nice colours and a nice screen.

I'm looking at a Mac Mini and a decent 27" 4K monitor and decent web cam, for a grade schooler (....and light Steam gaming for me). Possible to fit under the $700 premium difference, or just pay it. I highly prefer an external monitor so it could be shared between a raspberry pi, maybe a future PC, and other devices.
I think the Mac Mini is great when you have all the accessories already. In my case, I have a magic mouse and keyboard and a 30in monitor so if I'm upgrading my cheese grater Mac Pro, the Mac Mini is an obvious choice.

If I have never own a computer, I'll definitely get the iMac. The 4.5k monitor + the integrated 1080p web cam will probably cost you around or more than $700 if you buy it separately. Something really important to remember: it comes with a magic mouse and keyboard, $210 if bought separately. You can buy third party accessories if you want, but quality one will still cost you over $100-150 for keyboard and mouse.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20718 posts
1065 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Anyone here have pictures or videos of that magnetic power cable? I can't seem to find any. I'm really curious how it works. I rather not take a trip to the Apple Store.
Last edited by Sgt_Strider on May 25th, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
dave2d's review
Sgt_Strider wrote: Anyone here have pictures or videos of that magnetic power cable? I can't seem to find any. I'm really curit how it works. I rather not take a trip to the Apple Store.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20718 posts
1065 upvotes
Shanghai, China
sexyj wrote: dave2d's review
Thx. I hope this isn't the rumored MagSafe cable for the MacBook. The magnet is clearly too strong!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: Thx. I hope this isn't the rumored MagSafe cable for the MacBook. The magnet is clearly too strong!
Nah. At least with the MagSafe for older MacBooks, that cable would come off very, very easily. This was by design of course, so someone tripping on the cable wouldn't drag the MacBook to the floor. The cable popping off easily was not a problem since the MacBook has a battery.

You don't want that to happen with an iMac. If the cable comes out, then you lose power of course, and you lose all your open unsaved documents. So, for an iMac (and for the rumoured new Mac mini), you want that magnetic connection to be very strong.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
man... F the magsafe.

The whole industry including apple moved to USB-C, now they're pulling this BS move?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: man... F the magsafe.

The whole industry including apple moved to USB-C, now they're pulling this BS move?
People have complained about USB-C charging for years. MagSafe on laptops is way, way better.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
Unless apple let other manufacturers use the magsafe for free. Magsafe is not way, way better...

Stop drinking the apple koolaid, next thing you'll say using dongles "is way, way better". Or maybe firewire is way, way better than usb as well...

EugW wrote: People have complained about USB-C charging for years. MagSafe on laptops is way, way better.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: Unless apple let other manufacturers use the magsafe for free. Magsafe is not way, way better...

Stop drinking the apple koolaid, next thing you'll say using dongles "is way, way better". Or maybe firewire is way, way better than usb as well...
I have real world experience. I own both USB-C and MagSafe MacBooks. It’s no contest, MagSafe is worlds better as a power port for laptops. Whether other manufacturers can use it or not doesn’t affect whether it is better or not of course.

Your “Kool-Aid” comment doesn’t even make sense, because ever since Apple went USB-C in Macs, your so-called “Kool-Aid drinkers” have been asking for the return of MagSafe. A true Apple believer would have just accepted USB-C for charging, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying unsuccessfully to claim. Anyhow, it seems Apple may finally be capitulating and bringing back MagSafe. Hopefully.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7013 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a Macbook and I much prefer the Magsafe and hoping it will come back in some form. I even bought a Griffin Breaksafe to allow my Macbook to have a magnetic breakaway connection from my USB-C

For the iMac, I don't care at all, but the magnetic power port is just fine and simple to use, I don't care either way.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.