Computers & Electronics

Apple M1 iMac...underwhelming. M1 Mac Mini + accessories?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 12:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1404 posts
972 upvotes
Vancouver
sexyj wrote: Unless apple let other manufacturers use the magsafe for free. Magsafe is not way, way better...

Stop drinking the apple koolaid, next thing you'll say using dongles "is way, way better". Or maybe firewire is way, way better than usb as well...
Stop trying to make USB-C happen. It is not going to happen
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12458 posts
3685 upvotes
"Is better as a power port" because?
EugW wrote: I have real world experience. I own both USB-C and MagSafe MacBooks. It’s no contest, MagSafe is worlds better as a power port for laptops.
It actually does. That's why the industry have ISO standards.

Proprietary cables/connectors/dongles is not the future.
EugW wrote: Whether other manufacturers can use it or not doesn’t affect whether it is better or not of course.
If you think going back to proprietary magsafe is "better", then 1999 is calling you :facepalm:
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19889 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: "Is better as a power port" because?
It sounds like you don't actually have real world experience with this.

If you haven't actually spent time with a MagSafe Mac, I suggest you read up on the benefits of MagSafe. There is a reason why many Apple users like myself and @warpdrive much prefer MagSafe. To get you started:

MagSafe advantages:
Brilliant quick connection. Just hold the end of the plug next to the Mac, and it connects automagically, in the right orientation, and with a strong fit and satisfying click.
If someone trips over the line, the cable immediately comes out without pulling your laptop to the floor.
The charger just works, every time.
If the cable is attached physically, it attached electrically too. It's either attached or not attached. If it's been bumped hard enough to lose the electrical connection, that means it is actually physically disconnected too, often just sitting on the table away from the laptop.

MagSafe disadvantages:
Can't use the charger on a Windows laptop. Yeah, but who cares? I sure don't.
Port is bigger. Not sure if this would be addressed with new designs.

USB-C advantages:
Smaller port.
Industry standard.
Same port can be used for data transfer and other things.

USB-C disadvantages:
The so-called industry standard actually has too many variations that cause compatibility problems. Different cables may or may not work (and I've encountered this myself) and different charging devices may or may not work (and I've encountered this too).
The cables may or may not be snug. Some of my cables are a nice snug fit and some of my other cables are quite loose.
If the cable is a very snug fit, it can be strong enough to pull a light laptop with it.
If the cable is a very loose fit, a light bump can stop it from charging. It can look like it's still plugged-in but isn't really.

Theory is great, but like I said I own both types of MacBooks, and overall in the real world, MagSafe is just a superior solution aside from port size.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15884 posts
7457 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't think that Magsafe would come back in its previous form anyway. Macbooks are only going to get thinner and a big power connector would not work at all. Maybe it would have a new dual purpose connector that works with regular USB cables and a new connector. There is definitely room for something new that nobody thought of yet.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12458 posts
3685 upvotes
So the only real advantage you listed is the accidental tripping over.

Quick connection? Sure, I can do the same thing with magnet connectors + USB. Nothing really an advantage that's worth using a proprietary plug for.

Out of the three USB-c chargers I've got, they all worked perfectly charging each other. They can charge my Lenovo, MBP16 and a off brand laptop. I don't know know how you can list "it just works" as an advantage. My off brand 45W USB C charger can charge my MBP16 just fine.
Hell, I can even use it to charge my phones, tablets.

USB-C being a universal standard is the definition of "it just works" .

On the contrary, it seems like you never experience real USB-c charging.

When I'm travelling, I just need to carry a single USB-C charger, and it can charge all my devices. Can you charge you ipads, iphones with magsafe? Yea... I thought so.

I guess drinking the apple koolaid for so long made you believe carrying multiple chargers for multiple devices is a normal thing.
EugW wrote: It sounds like you don't actually have real world experience with this.

If you haven't actually spent time with a MagSafe Mac, I suggest you read up on the benefits of MagSafe. There is a reason why many Apple users like myself and @warpdrive much prefer MagSafe. To get you started:

MagSafe advantages:
Brilliant quick connection. Just hold the end of the plug next to the Mac, and it connects automagically, in the right orientation, and with a strong fit and satisfying click.
If someone trips over the line, the cable immediately comes out without pulling your laptop to the floor.
The charger just works, every time.
If the cable is attached physically, it attached electrically too. It's either attached or not attached. If it's been bumped hard enough to lose the electrical connection, that means it is actually physically disconnected too, often just sitting on the table away from the laptop.

MagSafe disadvantages:
Can't use the charger on a Windows laptop. Yeah, but who cares? I sure don't.
Port is bigger. Not sure if this would be addressed with new designs.

USB-C advantages:
Smaller port.
Industry standard.
Same port can be used for data transfer and other things.

USB-C disadvantages:
The so-called industry standard actually has too many variations that cause compatibility problems. Different cables may or may not work (and I've encountered this myself) and different charging devices may or may not work (and I've encountered this too).
The cables may or may not be snug. Some of my cables are a nice snug fit and some of my other cables are quite loose.
If the cable is a very snug fit, it can be strong enough to pull a light laptop with it.
If the cable is a very loose fit, a light bump can stop it from charging. It can look like it's still plugged-in but isn't really.

Theory is great, but like I said I own both types of MacBooks, and overall in the real world, MagSafe is just a superior solution aside from port size.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2481 upvotes
Toronto
Im thinking of getting new mba or wait for m1x?
To the moon
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19889 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto
It's obvious @sexyj has no real world experience with MagSafe. I'll just leave it at that.

warpdrive wrote: I don't think that Magsafe would come back in its previous form anyway. Macbooks are only going to get thinner and a big power connector would not work at all. Maybe it would have a new dual purpose connector that works with regular USB cables and a new connector. There is definitely room for something new that nobody thought of yet.
You mean like this?

AllPic_07.jpg

A dual purpose connector could work, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that MagSafe will just be charging only, since such a dual purpose connector could introduce its own problems. Either way, I would welcome back MagSafe with open arms. Mind you, I won't be buying another MacBook anytime soon. I am now working from home 99% of the time, so I have no reason to get a new laptop since I have an iMac at home.

As for your comment the Pro would get thinner. Maybe, maybe not but it's not just about overall height. One of the reasons the MacBook Pro sides are relatively shallow is because the bottom of the machine is curved.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 6.30.51 PM.png

The iPhone 12 is likely an example of the design language of the new 2021 Mac MacBook Pros, meaning the underside is probably going to be straighter, providing more vertical height on the side to accommodate a revised smaller MagSafe connector.

iphone12pro.jpg
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12458 posts
3685 upvotes
Yep, although I had numerous MBP/MBs prior to them switching to USB-C... I have no "real world experience with magsafe" according to you... :facepalm:

Cmon, man.. You clearly have no real world experience with USB-C. Clear case of apple koolaid.

Do tell me your real world experience of travelling with multiple charging bricks for different devices
EugW wrote: It's obvious @sexyj has no real world experience with MagSafe. I'll just leave it at that.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12458 posts
3685 upvotes
Oh yea... also tell me about your real world usage of when your magsafe breaks, you have to buy a whole unit instead of just replacing with any charger or just the cable
EugW wrote: It's obvious @sexyj has no real world experience with MagSafe. I'll just leave it at that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19889 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: I don't think that Magsafe would come back in its previous form anyway. Macbooks are only going to get thinner and a big power connector would not work at all. Maybe it would have a new dual purpose connector that works with regular USB cables and a new connector. There is definitely room for something new that nobody thought of yet.
Looking over the various leaks again, it would seem that the MacBook Pro's new MagSafe implementation would be a reasonably small port and may include Ethernet support on the power brick. So, that's dual-purpose, but in a different way than you were thinking. That makes sense given that's already been implemented on the iMac with its non-MagSafe magnetic connection. However, the question I have is whether or not it would include optional 10 GigE support. I think that would be a reasonable evolutionary feature to add to the MacBook Pro in 2021. Ethernet with 10 GigE option on the power brick, along with HDMI and SD slot on the chassis, would serve as a differentiator from the MacBook Air, which is necessary since right now the MacBook Air and 13" MacBook Pro are nearly identical.
Jun 4, 2018
223 posts
214 upvotes
Typical Mac - incredibly lackluster hardware for the money.

You don't even get a decent graphics chip without spending many thousands.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19889 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto
vane4665 wrote: Typical Mac - incredibly lackluster hardware for the money.

You don't even get a decent graphics chip without spending many thousands.
I'm guessing you don't realize that future Macs won't have discrete graphics chips either. All future consumer Macs and probably even the Mac Pro will all be using Apple graphics.

Anyhow M1's graphics performance is pretty decent for a low end machine.
Jun 4, 2018
223 posts
214 upvotes
EugW wrote: I'm guessing you don't realize that future Macs won't have discrete graphics chips either. All future consumer Macs and probably even the Mac Pro will all be using Apple graphics.

Anyhow M1's graphics performance is pretty decent for a low end machine.
Exactly. Mac. Low end. Just at very high-end prices.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19889 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto
vane4665 wrote: Exactly. Mac. Low end. Just at very high-end prices.
Nah. Low end by Mac standards going forward. Remember as far as CPU speed is concerned, the new low end M1 is roughly around the performance of Core i9-9980HK, which was the top-of-the-line for Intel 9th generation mobile Coffee Lake Refresh. Note though that M1 solidly trounces the Core i9 in some tests like Xcode builds.

https://github.com/devMEremenko/XcodeBenchmark

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 2.05.45 PM.png

Also, M1 GPU speed is usually faster than Nvidia 1050 Ti performance.

And it's all in an ultrabook TDP.

Apple Silicon is a whole new paradigm, my friend.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3108 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote: Apple Silicon is a whole new paradigm, my friend.
You get it. I'm always baffled by these people who when new technology like this comes out, come throwing a billion excuses based on the past. The whole point is that this isn't like anything from the past.

I use both Mac & Windows. Both have their pros & cons. Let's see what PC and CPU manufacturers do, as there's ZERO doubt that with M1 other manufacturers have or will pivot as they have no other choice. Especially with companies like NVIDIA wanting in.

Calling Mac low end is just ignorant and disingenuous. Even calling Mac expensive is simply incorrect these days. Comparing a MBP to a plastic Acer for example. Such garbage.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare