Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Mac mini Apple M1 Chip (Apple refurb) 759$

  • Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 11:38 pm
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2008
447 posts
354 upvotes

[Apple] Mac mini Apple M1 Chip (Apple refurb) 759$

Bought one the last time it came... Just incredible machine (thanks for the new M1 chip) for the price...

Apple refurb so basically new...

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... ed882d6a4f
Last edited by TomRFD on May 4th, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
67 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 15, 2019
514 posts
1546 upvotes
Markham
because I personally think 24" is not big enough and that I already have a 32" inch monitor...

Things...
Mini has that new iMac doesn't
- much lower price tag
- 8-core GPU
- HDMI output
- 2x USB-A ports


new iMac (cheapest model) has that mini doesn't
- 4.5k screen
- nice speaker
- nice webcam
- nice microphones
- magnetic power cable
- 7 core GPU (only the 512gb has 8core GPU)
- keyboard and mouse

https://www.apple.com/ca/mac/compare/?modelList=Mac-mini-M1,iMac-24_2,iMac-24_4
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1060 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
If you bought last week you could have 7x aeroplan points
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2008
447 posts
354 upvotes
Minimo07 wrote: because I personally think 24" is not big enough and that I already have a 32" inch monitor...

Things...
Mini has that new iMac doesn't
- much lower price tag
- 8-core GPU
- HDMI output
- 2x USB-A ports


new iMac (cheapest model) has that mini doesn't
- 4.5k screen
- nice speaker
- nice webcam
- nice microphones
- magnetic power cable
- 7 core GPU (only the 512gb has 8core GPU)
- keyboard and mouse

https://www.apple.com/ca/mac/compare/?modelList=Mac-mini-M1,iMac-24_2,iMac-24_4
You have expensive taste my friend... 1599$ for iMac with a 24" inches VS Mac Mini at 759$... Basically you're trying to sell us a 24" inches monitor for more than twice the price of the Mac Mini itself!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 9, 2004
789 posts
218 upvotes
Markham
martlgore wrote: You have expensive taste my friend... 1599$ for iMac with a 24" inches VS Mac Mini at 759$... Basically you're trying to sell us a 24" inches monitor for more than twice the price of the Mac Mini itself!
If you compare the "new" prices, it is $899 vs $1599. So the monitor portion is only $700. So it is not "more than twice". You have to admit that the monitor itself is pretty nice. It is too bad it cannot be used as an external monitor for other computer.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1023 posts
1126 upvotes
martlgore wrote: You have expensive taste my friend... 1599$ for iMac with a 24" inches VS Mac Mini at 759$... Basically you're trying to sell us a 24" inches monitor for more than twice the price of the Mac Mini itself!
But...but... It's Apple! Even the power button on the monitor is an added feature that costs $100!
Member
Oct 17, 2012
258 posts
240 upvotes
Quebec
martlgore wrote:
You have expensive taste my friend... 1599$ for iMac with a 24" inches VS Mac Mini at 759$... Basically you're trying to sell us a 24" inches monitor for more than twice the price of the Mac Mini itself!
It’s not only the monitor, iMac also comes with keyboard, mouse and yeah monitor with a webcam (useful for remote work now). And one must admit that iMac screens are one of the best, also you get speakers on the iMac

So if you need all those things, price of the Mac mini goes up fast. Mac mini is great if you’re replacing an existing machine tho.
Sr. Member
Feb 19, 2010
516 posts
227 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Good price though I’m really disappointed they didn’t put it in a new, much smaller, enclosure. I’m rocking a 2012 Mac mini that looks identical. Hoping when they refresh it’ll get a new look along with an M2 or M1X or whatever
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 5, 2005
1517 posts
363 upvotes
GTA
sikkinixx wrote: Good price though I’m really disappointed they didn’t put it in a new, much smaller, enclosure. I’m rocking a 2012 Mac mini that looks identical. Hoping when they refresh it’ll get a new look along with an M2 or M1X or whatever
I agree. Would like to see a different color too. Silver is from the older mac mini. I would like to see a black color.
----------------------------------------------------
Koodo $60/10GB plan + 4gb - Medium Tab
Freedom Mobile $19/1.5GB plan
Sr. Member
Nov 29, 2011
904 posts
1064 upvotes
thanks OP. gonna repost this since i originally posted in the Expired thread from a while ago.

i ordered one and played with it for 2 weeks. using DriveDX i found that in the 68 hours of uptime i had with the new Mini, that the SSD had been written 12.8TB.

for comparison my workhorse computer that i've been using for 3.5 years has 4430 hours of uptime, but only 0.708TB of the SSD has been written -- this despite me having to load lots of project files on and delete it after a project (getting 30-50gb per project is pretty normal for me. and my MBP only has 500gb)

so that means in 1/65th the amount of uptime, the M1 Mini wrote 18x the amount of files to the SSD.
that to me was very...concerning...to say the least.

( for comparison the original Tweet that highlighted the issue about SSD writes was 15TB in 2 months -- so i got very concerned that i used 12.8TB in only about 8 days of real "work hours" for me )

so although i enjoyed the new machine -- it was very snappy and i already customized the OS and browsers to my liking. i could not justify keeping it since i think i'd wear the SSD out incredibly fast. also i only installed 9 programs, mostly small ones but the biggest one would be DaVinci Resolve. never loaded any big files onto the Mini though, since i knew i only had 256gb.

this was on Big Sur 11.2.2

just thought i'd let people know my experience.
hope that helps!
Last edited by gotglint on May 4th, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 15, 2019
514 posts
1546 upvotes
Markham
martlgore wrote: You have expensive taste my friend... 1599$ for iMac with a 24" inches VS Mac Mini at 759$... Basically you're trying to sell us a 24" inches monitor for more than twice the price of the Mac Mini itself!
sorry I wasn't being clear, I meant GET THE MINI TOTALLY. that's what I did :)
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2292 posts
1151 upvotes
Markham
gotglint wrote: thanks OP. gonna repost this since i originally posted in the Expired thread from a while ago.

i ordered one and played with it for 2 weeks. using DriveDX i found that in the 68 hours of uptime i had with the new Mini, that the SSD had been written 12.8TB.

for comparison my workhorse computer that i've been using for 3.5 years has 4430 hours of uptime, but only 0.708TB of the SSD has been written -- this despite me having to load lots of project files on and delete it after a project (getting 30-50gb per project is pretty normal for me. and my MBP only has 500gb)

so that means in 1/65th the amount of uptime, the M1 Mini wrote 18x the amount of files to the SSD.
that to me was very...concerning...to say the least.

so although i enjoyed the new machine -- it was very snappy and i already customized the OS and browsers to my liking. i could not justify keeping it since i think i'd wear the SSD out incredibly fast. also i only installed 9 programs, mostly small ones but the biggest one would be DaVinci Resolve. never loaded any big files onto the Mini though, since i knew i only had 256gb.

the original Tweet about SSD writes was 15TB in 2 months -- so i got very concerned that i used 12.8TB in only about 8 days of real "work hours" for me

just thought i'd let people know my experience.
hope that helps!
this is what i am worried about.. i dont do any video encoding.. but what is the deal with so much writes?
can this be fixed via future patches? i just ordered
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1154 posts
1552 upvotes
Are returns to Apple free shipping for refurb? Do they provide prepaid shipping label? Canada post?

I've read disabling spotlight search for the ssd reduces the writes. Not sure if its true. Have also read m1 air and pros for some reason wear the battery an unusually high amount. One article had 15% battery wear in about 6 months.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2040 posts
4468 upvotes
Markham
The SSD longevity and the old form factor are the main reasons why I went for the cheapest Mac Mini. In 2 or 3 years when I upgrade to an M3 or M4 or whatever (which will be huge upgrades, because this is a gen 1 product, which means lots of room for growth), I’ll lose very little reselling it to upgrade to the new form factor + ssd.

If you load your Mac mini with extra RAM and storage you’ll just end up taking a huge hit when you resell.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2040 posts
4468 upvotes
Markham
frugalcanuck wrote: Are returns to Apple free shipping for refurb? Do they provide prepaid shipping label? Canada post?

I've read disabling spotlight search for the ssd reduces the writes. Not sure if its true. Have also read m1 air and pros for some reason wear the battery an unusually high amount. One article had 15% battery wear in about 6 months.
Yes, free return shipping. Just returned mine today (because I bought the first during 1x Aeroplan, so I bought a second one during 7X last week).
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2008
447 posts
354 upvotes
Chipbug wrote: If you compare the "new" prices, it is $899 vs $1599. So the monitor portion is only $700. So it is not "more than twice". You have to admit that the monitor itself is pretty nice. It is too bad it cannot be used as an external monitor for other computer.
You are right that the "new Mac Mini price" is 899$ but at the end of the day you pay 759$... So, again, the monitor is more than twice the price of the Mac Mini...

And yes I'm an Apple boyfan, the monitor is amazing BUT we have to compare apple to apple here (no pun intended here)...
Sr. Member
Jun 25, 2005
637 posts
304 upvotes
Mac prices are actually good for the performance these days. Factor in the resale value, it’s a good buy.

There’s a case for the MacBook Air docked mode over the Mac Mini. In the past, the Mac Mini had a better desktop CPU, but now that they all have the same processor and performance. You’re paying for a portable screen, keyboard, trackpad and battery for $250.
Member
Oct 17, 2012
258 posts
240 upvotes
Quebec
martlgore wrote: You are right that the "new Mac Mini price" is 899$ but at the end of the day you pay 759$... So, again, the monitor is more than twice the price of the Mac Mini...

And yes I'm an Apple boyfan, the monitor is amazing BUT we have to compare apple to apple here (no pun intended here)...
Like I said before in the thread, it’s not only the monitor, it’s also the keyboard, the mouse, the webcam, the speakers..
Jr. Member
Jul 9, 2019
177 posts
504 upvotes
Spending more on iMac is justified if it's in your budget, but that design is so polarizing. I find it super ugly (toy'ish/cartoonish) and wish they had 27" display option, I find 24" too small and 32" too big.
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2008
447 posts
354 upvotes
EAK47x wrote: It’s not only the monitor, iMac also comes with keyboard, mouse and yeah monitor with a webcam (useful for remote work now). And one must admit that iMac screens are one of the best, also you get speakers on the iMac

So if you need all those things, price of the Mac mini goes up fast. Mac mini is great if you’re replacing an existing machine tho.
Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard: 214$ via whatever company EPP
Webcam: you can have decent webcam below 100$

Still far from 1599$...

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)