Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

Mac mini Apple M1 Chip (Apple refurb) 759$

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 11:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
SuburbanSpider wrote: Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Original question still eludes me as to whether this could run the game, though.
My guess is probably. Blizzard has had a history of supporting macOS with their games.

StarCraft 2, WoW, Diablo.. they all run on macOS just fine without the need for bootcamp
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
HuoShing wrote: Do these have Louis Rossman certification standards? He seems to have some experience with this sort of unit.
i think he said no already.. because everything is on 1 board.. including SSD soldered on... nothing is upgradable and not repair-friendly
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
107 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: My guess is probably. Blizzard has had a history of supporting macOS with their games.

StarCraft 2, WoW, Diablo.. they all run on macOS just fine without the need for bootcamp
They've already confirmed that D2R won't be coming to Mac. But I did just find benchmarks for the m1, and it seems to outperform the i7 and the 1650...so it theoretically should work with parallels.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/ma ... 1-tested/3
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
These Macs have a long running life (should be able to use it for 5-10 years and not need something new), so I'd be wary to buy one with just 8GB RAM. For storage you can "expand" it with an external drive, but memory you are stuck.

Our 2012 iMac has 8GB but depending on what I'm doing I feel it's starting to lag when there are too many applications loaded. I would shoot for a 16GB for its replacement. If you just do email and browsing, 8GB is ok I guess.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Apr 27, 2017
465 posts
381 upvotes
do i need 16gb of ram?

i want to use it for editing photos (lightroom, photoshop)

seems like the 16gb is not in the refurbished list
Oct 8, 2007
421 posts
407 upvotes
Ontario
warpdrive wrote: These Macs have a long running life (should be able to use it for 5-10 years and not need something new), so I'd be wary to buy one with just 8GB RAM. For storage you can "expand" it with an external drive, but memory you are stuck.
I can confirm this statement. I am still running a 2013 Macbook Air with 8GB ram (which was an upgrade from 2-4 at the time) and a 500GB hard drive (also an upgrade from 128). I bought it as an Apple Refurb and it's still going strong for business use and surfing and the occasional light gaming (KOTOR, Civilizations, etc.).

Obviously can't confirm with the new M1, but I suspect it will also be built to last a long time, so I suggest doing a few upgrades to make sure you are future proofed.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Qwesty905 wrote: do i need 16gb of ram?

16GB/512GB was there this morning (for $1,189). I ordered one.
Sep 2, 2018
273 posts
152 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: These Macs have a long running life (should be able to use it for 5-10 years and not need something new), so I'd be wary to buy one with just 8GB RAM. For storage you can "expand" it with an external drive, but memory you are stuck.

Our 2012 iMac has 8GB but depending on what I'm doing I feel it's starting to lag when there are too many applications loaded. I would shoot for a 16GB for its replacement. If you just do email and browsing, 8GB is ok I guess.
I second this opinion. I had to upgrade to the current M1 Macbook Air because I was limited by RAM on my 2014 MBA. If I would have opted for upgraded RAM(it came with 4GB), I would have been fine for another 1-2 years. That machine still gives me like 4 hrs of battery backup on original battery and original charger. Its in pristine condition.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
If you have more than simple needs and if you want to keep it for a while, definitely get 16 GB. In my experience with Macs, the number one bottleneck over time is RAM. Number 2 is storage speed, but these Mac minis already come with super fast storage.
mighty_chef wrote: I have an old refurbished 2010 27” iMac that’s on its last legs.

Would love a newer iMac replacement but the price point on the Mini is hard skip over. I already have a mouse and keyboard, an old Black Friday 32” TV too
You might be able to use that 2010 27” iMac as a monitor for a Mac mini, assuming the iMac doesn’t have screen problems or stability problems, etc. However I’m not sure if the M1 Macs are supported.
Last edited by EugW on May 4th, 2021 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
Qwesty905 wrote: do i need 16gb of ram?

I would always get 16GB if you can. 8GB is enough RAM until it isn't, and when it isn't you're going to notice it. Anything to do with working with media (photos, videos) you want to be future proofed.

8GB is really the minimum nowadays. Nobody buys systems with 4gb anymore so 8 is the new 4.

For a PC with upgradeable RAM, it's a no brainer to get 16 (before the prices went crazy). It had cost me $100 for two 8GB sticks. Apple's RAM pricing is ridiculous so it's easy to be tempted to get the 8GB model but I would say you will regret it if you intend to keep it for long.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7812 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
SuburbanSpider wrote: Anyone know if this would run Diablo 2 Ressurected on bootcamp? Hard to align specs with the new m1 processors. I've got to replace my aging windows PC anyways, and don't particularly want another windows, given my overall shift to Apple these last few years
You can't run Bootcamp on the M1 Macs because it doesn't have an x86 processor. You would need to run a virtual machine or hypervisor for Windows 10. To date, I think the only Parallels works, but it only runs Windows 10 ARM64 edition and not x86-64. CrossOver might have something that also works. Performance-wise, it should be a non-issue if it does work. I'm consistently over 60 fps in Path of Exile on a 1440p monitor and stuff like Divinity: Original Sin 2 also runs 60+ fps.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm debating on getting this to jump into the macOS environment. I have a gaming PC and want to hook this up to my second monitor. Does anyone know if the M1 still support software KVM software like Synergy?
Apr 27, 2017
465 posts
381 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I would always get 16GB if you can. 8GB is enough RAM until it isn't, and when it isn't you're going to notice it. Anything to do with working with media (photos, videos) you want to be future proofed.

8GB is really the minimum nowadays. Nobody buys systems with 4gb anymore so 8 is the new 4.

For a PC with upgradeable RAM, it's a no brainer to get 16 (before the prices went crazy). It had cost me $100 for two 8GB sticks. Apple's RAM pricing is ridiculous so it's easy to be tempted to get the 8GB model but I would say you will regret it if you intend to keep it for long.
awesome thank you..i'll wait =)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: You might be able to use that 2010 27” iMac as a monitor for a Mac mini, assuming the iMac doesn’t have screen problems or stability problems, etc. However I’m not sure if the M1 Macs are supported.
Works with the 2009 and 2010 27”
iMacs but not the newer Thunderbolt iMacs.

91E5000E-1D43-4161-AA34-FFEA49661A7B.png

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)