• Feb 3rd, 2023 7:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2235 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto

[Apple] MacBook Pro 14” M1 (2021) refurb $1929.00

With the new M2 refreshed Mac book Pro 14 and 16” models released today, Apple has discounted previous Gen refurb models (with M1) significantly. The 14” MBP with 16GB with 512 GB of storage is $1929.00. The 1TB is $2109.

The new M2 models start at $2599 (or 2399 with education discount). That’s $100 more than last year. The only difference with the new models, besides the new M2 chip is the HDMI 2.1, wifi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3

Everything else is pretty much the same as the M1, so for a ~$500 difference, you still get a very capable MacBook.

Refurbs are like new with 1 year warranty. Just remember that most credit cards don’t double/triple the warranty on refurbs.
Last edited by wysiwyg on Jan 17th, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating 20+ years on RFD!
147 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1876 posts
6390 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Not enough of a price reduction to warrant a refurbished machine that’s now one generation older.
Sep 20, 2018
973 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
blyndfyre wrote: Not enough of a price reduction to warrant a refurbished machine that’s now one generation older.
Not sure I'd agree with the near $500 discount and apple refurb quality.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2172 posts
874 upvotes
kaboom987 wrote: Not sure I'd agree with the near $500 discount and apple refurb quality.
Realistically, the average user no one is going to notice a performance/battery difference between the M1 and M2 version of MBP.

HDMI 2.1 is a useless update, what's the point of outputting 4K @ 120Hz on a non-gaming machine? When would you ever need this? Same thing with wifi 6E, who's going to notice any real world difference besides circle jerking each other off.

Save your money and buy a refurb M1 MBP.
All their refurb M1 models were further discounted after today's release, not just the base version.

edit:
Not all refurbs are a good deal.
m1 pro, 10 core, 32gb, 1tb, $2999
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/G ... afaf14bb5e

m2 pro, 10 core, 32gb, 1tb, $3074 (edu discount)
https://www.apple.com/ca_edu_93120/shop ... -gpu-512gb
Mar 25, 2017
306 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
M2 pro is about 30-35% more expensive then this deal depending on if you use the edu discount. There are not many updates to the new pro so assuming both laptops work really well for ~7 years from release you’re getting ~5.5 years of use from the M1 Pro vs 7 years from the m2 pro. That’s roughly 27% more use from the m2 pro laptop. This doesn’t factor in that the m2 pro may perform noticeably better for some users especially after a few years.

I would say it’s a toss up between getting this deal or the new pro but I would likely get this deal if I didn’t already have this laptop. I was able to get it as a refurb as well for $1650 after taxes with a discount and new tangerine debit account cash back so I’m pretty happy.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1754 posts
1811 upvotes
I’m waiting for oled equivalent screen
Wallet safe...
Aug 2, 2018
48 posts
13 upvotes
Been looking at this deal since the m2 pro announcement. I ordered m2 air 16gb a few days ago but thinking about just buying this refurbished 14" mbp instead. Hmm.
Aug 21, 2011
295 posts
62 upvotes
I am going to keep my eye out for Best Buy clearance, if that happens, I will sell my air and upgrade to a pro.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1381 posts
1647 upvotes
Knowhere
from what I know, M1 Pro is able to consistently maintain high performance due to better thermal cooling solution in the pro lineup, where M2 is NOT able to maintain a long peroid of high performance. but M2 has x% of single core performance increase. when CPU is 100% occupied for a long period of time, M1 Pro out run M2 easily, in short period of time, M2 wins M1/M1 Pro.

the rumor is that apple lost MANY good engineers who were the key/lead developing the apple silicon. thats why the A16 has very minor improvement over A15, so was the M2 over M1.

MAJOR issue of M2 is the heat it generates, where M1 can maintain cool.
Dec 18, 2010
710 posts
798 upvotes
Vancouver
These were $2199 brand new on Black Friday. I wonder if it would be worth holding out for retailers to sell off older stock and hope it hits that $1999 price point. Either way, Apple refurbs are very close to new units.
Aug 21, 2011
295 posts
62 upvotes
neroses wrote: M2 pro is about 30-35% more expensive then this deal depending on if you use the edu discount. There are not many updates to the new pro so assuming both laptops work really well for ~7 years from release you’re getting ~5.5 years of use from the M1 Pro vs 7 years from the m2 pro. That’s roughly 27% more use from the m2 pro laptop. This doesn’t factor in that the m2 pro may perform noticeably better for some users especially after a few years.

I would say it’s a toss up between getting this deal or the new pro but I would likely get this deal if I didn’t already have this laptop. I was able to get it as a refurb as well for $1650 after taxes with a discount and new tangerine debit account cash back so I’m pretty happy.
How did you get the computer for $1650?
Oct 19, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
More accurate to say the current M2 (non pro) chip is in the Macbook Air, which does not have a fan and is designed to be passively cooled. The M1 Macbook Air for example was the same state, and the cpu would throttle itself under sustained loads.

Macbook Pros are fan cooled, and it is safe to assume the new pros will be designed to maintain peak performance without thermal throttling (although we won’t know this with 100% certainty of course until we see reviews). There is no reason to assume otherwise right now, and it would be shocking if the M2 Pro/Max in these new laptops end up thermally limited compared to the M1 Pro/Max laptops.
Feb 26, 2007
233 posts
180 upvotes
RJB81470 wrote: Been looking at this deal since the m2 pro announcement. I ordered m2 air 16gb a few days ago but thinking about just buying this refurbished 14" mbp instead. Hmm.
I have both and use the M2 Air much more often these days. It’s soooo much noticeably lighter, I don’t notice any real performance difference, and if you don’t need the extra outputs (HDMI and SD) on a daily basis where dongles will be a hassle, I highly recommend the M2 Air.
Dec 23, 2019
144 posts
144 upvotes
mikeyyz wrote: I have both and use the M2 Air much more often these days. It’s soooo much noticeably lighter, I don’t notice any real performance difference, and if you don’t need the extra outputs (HDMI and SD) on a daily basis where dongles will be a hassle, I highly recommend the M2 Air.
If you really need the ports when accessibility is a concern, and are working in an environment where processing needs to be minimal in terms of time spent, and there’s a lot of processes going on (editing, cad, rendering etc) then the Pro is for you. If you’re not doing those things, it’s the Air (and it is much lighter and easier to carry around, especially with one hand). The name schema definitely fits now that they’ve differed both versions with more access to ports/card reader along with faster processors for the Pro version.

I myself switched to Air after the transition to silicon and it’s more than enough, after switching professions from CAD to UI/UX. I like how lightweight the Air is.
Aug 2, 2018
48 posts
13 upvotes
mikeyyz wrote: I have both and use the M2 Air much more often these days. It’s soooo much noticeably lighter, I don’t notice any real performance difference, and if you don’t need the extra outputs (HDMI and SD) on a daily basis where dongles will be a hassle, I highly recommend the M2 Air.
Yeah, after a few more hours of research, I'm now leaning back to just getting the m2 air. I have a gaming pc which I often use for heavy apps. This laptop will be more for coding outside and portability in general. It's around a $370 difference and I won't need the extra SSD.
Jul 22, 2020
192 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I had the 13" Pro in 2020 and upgraded to the 14" Pro last year and one odd thing that I do a lot of of that these machines do SUPER well is emulation. There's a plethora of working emulators for Apple Silicon now, much of them native. I can play PS2, PS3, Vita, PSP, Switch, Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, 3DS, DS, Xbox etc most games @ 4K 60fps with ease these things don't even break a sweat. To make it even easier they also pair up with pretty much any common bluetooth controller you might have laying around, I mostly use a PS5 Dualsense (for the 12hr rechargeable battery) but have also used Xbox Series, PS4 DualShock. They work right out of the box. Oh and the 14" mini LED display is absolutely gorgeous and can output an insane amount of brightness.

*Edit also with apps like sideloadly and Playcover you can play most of the iOS games quite easily on these MacBooks too (and run iOS apps in general)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1520 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal, special you add the 3Y apple care.
Simple is the best.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2021
1300 posts
507 upvotes
Was cheaper at Costco with their 25% off sale and it's new with Costco warranty.
Feb 6, 2017
262 posts
559 upvotes
still paying too much for crappy apple products
May 23, 2009
160 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal
stwan001 wrote: still paying too much for crappy apple products
You can hate and troll all you like but the Apple M-series laptops are an amazing value. Crazy fast (overly so), amazing battery life, and they run cool. The prices are actually really good.

The problem here is that, specifically for the MBP M2, the upgrade was very marginal. I'd highly recommend the MBA M2 over it. Or a more maxed out M1 MBA for the same price.