Apple plans to sell C$2.5b in bonds in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 12:28 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2016
692 posts
296 upvotes

Apple plans to sell C$2.5b in bonds in Canada

"Apple plans to sell C$2.5b in bonds in Canada" - I have been reading this news from months and curious to know more details. I tried to dig into it but no luck. Can someone through their thoughts about what exactly are these bonds and how to buy also whether these are save/useful or not ? Thanks!
3 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3986 upvotes
Toronto
iamagtaguy wrote: "Apple plans to sell C$2.5b in bonds in Canada" - I have been reading this news from months and curious to know more details. I tried to dig into it but no luck. Can someone through their thoughts about what exactly are these bonds and how to buy also whether these are save/useful or not ? Thanks!
why would u buy a bond from apple? Its probably triple A rated, so the yields will be garbage. you're probably better off putting the money in high interest savings account.. specially if interest rates are rising. That means your bond price will fall if u ever want to sell prior to maturity.

waste of time.. bonds are literally the biggest waste of time for retail consumers. buy a bond ETF, or hell even a bond mutual fund.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4479 posts
3721 upvotes
There's enough information via a google search on how this deal went and generally where it was placed. i.e. rated AA+ by S&P and sucked up by institutional domestic investors for diversification.

Some details not readily available;
2.513% 8/19/24

Priced at @ +81.4 bp vs GOC2.5%/24 on Aug 16/17 as a "Maple." You can google "Maple bonds" for more information.

Apple borrowed in the domestic Canadian bond market as it swapped very favourably for AAPL vs where their US paper traded at the time. That's the only reason they borrowed here.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2016
692 posts
296 upvotes
Thanks guys. Taking a no go for aapl bonds then. Bye.