• Aug 10th, 2021 9:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1200 posts
556 upvotes
Vancouver

Apple product exchange in different province

I recently purchased the MacBook Air in Alberta with 5% tax but I actually lived in BC (12% tax)

I went to Vancouver Apple store to do an exchange of exact same model but they demand I need to pay the tax difference. I just want to do the exchange because the original unit seems defective in some point.

I am not sure how it works in return/exchange in different provinces.
4 replies
Jul 9, 2019
693 posts
2614 upvotes
a16107 wrote: I recently purchased the MacBook Air in Alberta with 5% tax but I actually lived in BC (12% tax)

I went to Vancouver Apple store to do an exchange of exact same model but they demand I need to pay the tax difference. I just want to do the exchange because the original unit seems defective in some point.

It will be a return and repurchase not exchange. That's why they are asking you to pay the tax difference. They promised return which they are honouring.
Apr 8, 2021
342 posts
346 upvotes
Montreal
I knew Apple was fussy, but wow!!
'2003
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
BeefOreo wrote: I knew Apple was fussy, but wow!!
Place of supply rules are fairly clear in this case. The taxes apply on where the goods are being issued. In this case, the customer is returning goods and obtaining new goods. The supplier is required to collect the appropriate taxes in this case. It's not just a simple zero-rated exchange unfortunately.

By the same argument, as the OP returned to BC with their goods, they would actually be required to self-remit the taxes back to BC since the goods are actually being used there (and not in AB where they were purchased). In this case, the OP would actually be at no loss....but of course, this is RFD, and who self-remits tax :)

If the OP wants to avoid paying the extra tax, then they can ask Apple to treat the device under the AppleCare warranty rather than as a purchase exchange or return to Alberta to complete the exchange.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1395 posts
1013 upvotes
Mississauga
a16107 wrote: I recently purchased the MacBook Air in Alberta with 5% tax but I actually lived in BC (12% tax)

just return it and buy one in the education store im sure you know someone who is in school

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)