[Apple] Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5" 64GB $489

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2021 4:27 pm
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
4 posts
69 upvotes

[Apple] Refurbished iPad Pro 10.5" 64GB $489

Apple Refurbished 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 64GB - Silver for $489.

Don't forget 1.5% cashback on Apple Refurbished products through Rakuten and an additional 0.1%-1.5% off through Honey.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... 4GB-Silver
114 replies
Jul 17, 2019
62 posts
136 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Originally released June 2017

No, Thank You!
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
4 posts
69 upvotes
I'm only a student and have never had any iPad products before, but I've been stalking the Apple refurbished page pretty often and seems like an amazing deal along with the cashback options. I've been working really hard and saved up to purchase 2 of these for my senior parents. Hopefully this post helps others! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Oct 15, 2020
137 posts
322 upvotes
montreal, QC
heartbug18 wrote: Originally released June 2017

No, Thank You!
I'd bet you it would compete if not easily best a top galaxy tablet from this year...this is how far ahead iPad is. Or far behind android tablets are.
Is this thing on?
Jun 11, 2015
257 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
jonleo wrote: I'd bet you it would compete if not easily best a top galaxy tablet from this year...this is how far ahead iPad is. Or far behind android tablets are.
galaxy tab s7?

come one man.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19598 posts
5677 upvotes
Toronto
midnight43 wrote: I'm only a student and have never had any iPad products before, but I've been stalking the Apple refurbished page pretty often and seems like an amazing deal along with the cashback options. I've been working really hard and saved up to purchase 2 of these for my senior parents. Hopefully this post helps others! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
This is a good deal, but also a good deal is the 32 GB iPad 8 for less money and a bit faster performance. The advantage is the iPad 8 will likely be supported for longer. The disadvantage is the iPad 8 has less storage at 32 GB (unless you pay extra), but that may not matter depending on their usage. The iPad 8 also doesn't have a laminated display and has a bit less RAM, but that won't likely matter to them.

The iPad 8 is $399 on the education store.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
4 posts
69 upvotes
Yes I was really comparing between those two! But I know the Pro has a way better display, processor and performance. For $90 more than the iPad 8 for $399 I thought it was worth it. If there was an iPad 9 or something that had FaceID I definitely would have gotten it instead though! But I will wait until I receive these iPad Pros and see how they are, if I don't think it's good enough I will return and wait for new iPad announcement this fall!
Sep 3, 2017
351 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Ludwig187 wrote: galaxy tab s7?

come one man.
You are correct in regards to pure performance benchmarks. The poster above has obvious Apple bias, when raw benchmarks are easy to look up for yourself. Screen-wise, unfortunately the S7 is not as stellar - the S7 plus, on the other hand, is better than the iPad.

https://browser.geekbench.com/android_d ... axy-tab-s7

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios_devic ... -10-5-inch

Still, I would put iPad ahead as an overall better tablet experience, but they are overstating how ahead Apple is.
Sep 1, 2015
893 posts
1103 upvotes
jonleo wrote: I'd bet you it would compete if not easily best a top galaxy tablet from this year...this is how far ahead iPad is. Or far behind android tablets are.
Come on. I would buy any iPad from 2019 onwards over any Android tablet, but the S7 and S7+ are much better than this. And while Apple still supports all their devices far more than Google or Samsung do, this is a 2017 iPad Pro that is not only refurbished, but all of it's internals are now 4-5 years old. Things like Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.1 are big leaps ahead of bluetooth 4.2 or not having WiFi-6 etc.

I'd say you'd be much better served just finding a deal on last years 64gb iPad Air 4 or go for a newer but cheaper regular iPad. No joke, it isn't even about buying for kids or seniors. The tech is outclassed. As a tablet experience, it is still fine but let's not go overboard. The price only seems really good in comparison to a 2021 iPad Pro which is around $1000, but the tech in that competes with high end laptops and can be a desktop replacement in a sense. Does this iPad Pro even still have accessories like the magic keyboard for this model be sold anywhere?
Last edited by Harold91 on Jun 13th, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1473 posts
824 upvotes
The big problem is the OS update. It's almost 4 years old. I know Apple offers much longer OS update than Android but if you get an base iPad from last year, it'll last 3 years longer of updates.

I just got a new M1 iPad Pro because my very old iPad (4th gen base iPad), which is perfectly functional, but because it's out of firmware update for the last 2-3 years, iirc, almost all the apps that work on it don't have update now. So when Plex doesn't play well with Google Chromecast who gets updates, I'm out of luck. Nothing to do here. I can't even install Spotify on it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9462 posts
5993 upvotes
Toronto
Bought this March 2020 for $499, very stingy with the price drops. $399 would be more like it.
Dec 15, 2017
409 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
Since this is a 2017 model it's a bad deal, much like the Apple Watch Series 3 they are still selling. You can barely do updates on them anymore.
Apple should discontinue them. I feel bad for the non-tech person who buys these thinking they got a deal whereas the product is already obsolete.
Telus EPP: 20GB/$50
"Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9462 posts
5993 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: This iPad will be getting the iPadOS 15 update
Yup, and it'll get at least one or two more. Even the iPad mini 4 and Air 2 are getting OS 15 and they have A8 / A8X and only 2GB Ram.
Aug 21, 2005
573 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
this is plenty fast for today and has 120hz screen. i dont notice any difference on regular usage between this and my 8th gen ipad in terms of speed, but the screen is much nicer

gaming is actually better on this than the 8th gen.

therefore price is quite fair for what you get
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2514 posts
2707 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Ludwig187 wrote: galaxy tab s7?

come one man.
ive tried both, the iPad Pro is much better than the tab s7. Also, try reselling a an iPad Pro and a Tab of similar years, will take a very long time to sell the Tab (unless you lower your pants and take the hit)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1343 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
midnight43 wrote: Yes I was really comparing between those two! But I know the Pro has a way better display, processor and performance. For $90 more than the iPad 8 for $399 I thought it was worth it. If there was an iPad 9 or something that had FaceID I definitely would have gotten it instead though! But I will wait until I receive these iPad Pros and see how they are, if I don't think it's good enough I will return and wait for new iPad announcement this fall!
The iPad 8's A12 is faster than the Pro's A10X in CPU. The Pro is faster in GPU (gaming), and has the deluxe features (e.g. better screen and speakers).

But note that A12 is quickly becoming the "baseline" requirement going forward. e.g. in the upcoming iPadOS 15, a few of the more "advanced/fancy" features require A12 or better, and iPad 8 will have them but the 10.5 Pro won't. (The Pro will certainly have a few more years of OS/security updates, but is already going to start missing out on features in about 3 months...)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused: