• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 1:16 pm
[OP]
Jan 7, 2013
79 posts
75 upvotes
KILLARNEY ROAD

[Apple] Refurbished iPad Pro 11” 64gb $729

The refurb 2018 model for $729 is back in stock right now at Apple.ca. Not sure how long it'll last for. Usually goes quick.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 7th, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added direct link
23 replies
[OP]
Jan 7, 2013
79 posts
75 upvotes
KILLARNEY ROAD
Thanks. Couldn’t figure out how to do a link.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1827 posts
6150 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Better to get a new 2020 model (128GB) with the education promotion and get the free AirPods.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1359 posts
468 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: Better to get a new 2020 model (128GB) with the education promotion and get the free AirPods.
do you just need school email to get that? any other proof needed?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3615 posts
3624 upvotes
kazkira wrote: do you just need school email to get that? any other proof needed?
No nothing is required
[OP]
Jan 7, 2013
79 posts
75 upvotes
KILLARNEY ROAD
blyndfyre wrote: Better to get a new 2020 model (128GB) with the education promotion and get the free AirPods.
Only if you can afford the extra $350.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1881 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
jacdelivery wrote: Only if you can afford the extra $350.
Its $979 for 128gb + air pods so for $250 extra you get air pods, brand new and new generation ipad, and 128gb vs 64gb
Last edited by stanleylai on Jul 7th, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1827 posts
6150 upvotes
Calgary, AB
kazkira wrote:
do you just need school email to get that? any other proof needed?
No you don't need any proof.
jacdelivery wrote: Only if you can afford the extra $350.
It's only $250 extra and you get:
  • the latest generation
  • brand new
  • 64GB extra storage
  • AirPods
Keep in mind you could probably sell the AirPods for ~$200 to bring the difference to ~$50.

Edit: There is a bit more value going the education promotion route as well if you planned on getting AppleCare as it's 20% less.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17829 posts
10395 upvotes
Ottawa
stanleylai wrote: Its $979 for 128gb + air pods so for $150 extra you get air pods, brand new and new generation ipad, and 128gb vs 64gb
yup.

other main differences:
2020 iPad. Better rear camera. Lidar sensor for AR, 6GB RAM (2018 has 4GB). Slightly faster GPU.

The Lidar seems pretty useless right now but the rumor is that 2020 iPhones will have the Lidar as well, so we should see more and more applications take advantage of it.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1004 posts
1072 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: No you don't need any proof.

It's only $250 extra and you get:
  • the latest generation
  • brand new
  • 64GB extra storage
  • AirPods
Keep in mind you could probably sell the AirPods for ~$200 to bring the difference to ~$50.

Edit: There is a bit more value going the education promotion route as well if you planned on getting AppleCare as it's 20% less.
Normally it’d be a no brainer to get the 2020 but sucks that the CPU is pretty much identical. So unless you need the extra storage and RAM, you’re essentially paying more for the AirPods.

That being said, i decided to return my 2018 refurb. It crashes just like my old air 2 (but less). And i get random bursts of intense lag where the keyboard shows letters after 5 seconds of typing it in. Ios13 is absolute garbage. (Ios14 on the old 2014 air 2 actually runs faster than the pro on ios13)
Feb 28, 2020
328 posts
798 upvotes
Got this when in stock last time and also a 7x the miles from Aeroplan estore promo. Haven’t had any issues and refurb came looking and working as good as new. Happy customer! It’s a great unit and small price upgrade compared to getting a new 10.5” air.
Feb 24, 2009
873 posts
393 upvotes
i actually think the 2020 11 inch ipad pro is the better deal since if you purchase it with a credit card that has extended warranty which would double the warranty to 2 years which wouldn't apply for refurbs, also if your credit card has the mobile device insurance it would make it even more worthwhile to buy new assuming you end up selling the airpods for a reasonable price. In addition if you buy it during a bonus airmiles or aeroplan promotion it makes it all the sweeter.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5421 upvotes
Vancouver
Decent deal for those who are too lazy to sell their AirPods.
Jul 9, 2015
140 posts
100 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
As a FYI, if you click on “Shop for University”, and then go buy the refurbished iPad, you can have AppleCare+ for 20% off ($119), that deal on AppleCare + is not limited to new iPads.

I have probably been unlucky, but I ordered the refurbished iPad Pro 2018 about 3 weeks ago. The iPad I received had a line of defective pixels, so I contacted Apple Support. Since it was a refurb, they could not just send a new one and take the one I had back (so basically doing an exchange), they could only return it and I would have had to order another one.
That badluck made me want to buy a brand new one instead, and I decided to go all in: AirPods Pro, Magic Keyboard, AppleCare+. I just love the new iPad, it’s now my main device when I’m not working.

The refurb deal is great for someone who wants to get the new iPad Pro form factor for less, who doesn’t care about AirPods and who doesn’t want to go through the trouble of selling the AirPods.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17829 posts
10395 upvotes
Ottawa
saudor wrote: Normally it’d be a no brainer to get the 2020 but sucks that the CPU is pretty much identical. So unless you need the extra storage and RAM, you’re essentially paying more for the AirPods.

That being said, i decided to return my 2018 refurb. It crashes just like my old air 2 (but less). And i get random bursts of intense lag where the keyboard shows letters after 5 seconds of typing it in. Ios13 is absolute garbage. (Ios14 on the old 2014 air 2 actually runs faster than the pro on ios13)
I'd say the storage and RAM are worthy additions. I use up 50GB in my phone for various offline stuff. Consider I'll keep the iPad for 5 years or more (still rocking the Air 2 in our house), the extra RAM doesn't hurt and neither does the milder improvement in GPU. Every time I upgraded the idevice to one with more RAM, it was noticeable (1 to 2GB to 3GB in our phones)

In the end, you are also buying a refurb. Yes the refurbs look like new and may even be new, but I think I'd rather have a new one. As somebody mentioned,my credit card extends the warranty coverage (but not for refurbs) so it's like getting Applecare Lite free. I wanted to get Airpods (Had the Telus deal ordered, but cancelled).
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Nov 17, 2013
961 posts
187 upvotes
WINNIPEG
What do you all use your pro's for? Anyone using them for graphic work in photoshop with apple pen? How is the experience? Better than desktop with a wacom pen and mouse or stick to that? Would really like a device to process photos with pen on the screen. I know wacom sells such but they're in the 1000s. Don't think there's anything in android or windows tablets that come close or am i wrong?
Sep 3, 2009
846 posts
545 upvotes
Calgary
I am buying a iPad pro for my wife for our 10 years anniversary. My mission is to spend some money to surprise (maybe) her with something we don't really need and won't normally buy. After carefully consideration, I think iPad pro is a great option. It's not overly expensive and looks really good, most importantly I don't feel my money is wasted compare to other fancy gifts. We do have the low cost iPad 2019, it's great but mostly used by kids.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1541 posts
987 upvotes
zywan0124 wrote: I am buying a iPad pro for my wife for our 10 years anniversary. My mission is to spend some money to surprise (maybe) her with something we don't really need and won't normally buy. After carefully consideration, I think iPad pro is a great option. It's not overly expensive and looks really good, most importantly I don't feel my money is wasted compare to other fancy gifts. We do have the low cost iPad 2019, it's great but mostly used by kids.
For a 10th anniversary present, I’d go with a brand new unit, not a refurb. The bonus AirPods would make a great side gift too.