Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

Refurbished M1 Mac Mini 8gb and 16gb memory in stock - From $759

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 11:29 am
Jul 10, 2013
72 posts
153 upvotes
Guelph

[Apple] Refurbished M1 Mac Mini 8gb and 16gb memory in stock - From $759

STOCK LEVELS UPDATED May 19/21:

For those who missed the last one:
8gb/256 - 57 stock:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... 91core-gpu

8gb/512 - 27 stock:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... 91core-gpu

16gb/256 - 12 stock:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/G ... 91core-gpu

16/512 - 16 stock:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/G ... 91core-gpu

GO GO GO!
Last edited by Clockworked on May 19th, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
138 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3258 posts
2116 upvotes
Montréal, QC
is the drive and memory upgradeable?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2014
1307 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Clee wrote: is the drive and memory upgradeable?
No and it never will be again going forward
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3258 posts
2116 upvotes
Montréal, QC
McGarnagle wrote: No and it never will be again going forward
Is 8GB RAM going to be enough?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
Clee wrote: Is 8GB RAM going to be enough?
Depending on what you do. If you don't know, then most probably it's enough.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
In a desk computer, it's barely passable for the average consumer.

In a laptop, I'm a little more forgiving... again, for the average consumer.

We're quickly entering a world where 16GB is the minimum for reasonable performance with breathing room.

Grandmotherly recipe lookups will be fine with 8GB for a few more years to come, before bloat raises that ceiling as well.

4GB is problematic unless you're quite careful with your app usage, which most older parents are not, likewise most tweens.

Hope that helps.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1431 posts
2250 upvotes
yes for the most part. depends on what you're doing though.

due to the OS using the SSD for swap space. if you look at reviews like from MAXTECH on youtube, who makes videos, and he says the 8gb performance felt equal to 16gb (not even much different in render times unless you're doing a LOT of other stuff at the same time -- which you usually don't when you are rendering)

personally i ran DaVinci Resolve, a notoriously hardware heavy program, on an 8gb/256gb m1 mini and it ran perfectly fine. but for using Fusion in davinci, they say 16gb.
Last edited by gotglint on May 13th, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 23, 2017
44 posts
79 upvotes
Ehhh... M1 doesn't exactly work the same. I'm running a base model (8-core CPU, 7-core GPU, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) M1 MacBook Air, and I am currently playing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition at 1080p, medium settings, no issues. Same for Baldur's Gate 3, Disco Elysium, etc. I will say if you can afford it, grab the 16gb just cause, but honestly, even a technically worse system than these Mac Minis is capable of some decent gaming, let alone productivity tasks (Photo editing in Affinity Photo, Video editing in Final Cut, etc).
Public Mobile $34/50GB+"Unlimited" 5G
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14631 posts
3358 upvotes
Vancouver
I set mine up yesterday. Is there any setting that will tell me how many hours its been used and times its been powered on/off?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
trellaine201 wrote: I set mine up yesterday. Is there any setting that will tell me how many hours its been used and times its been powered on/off?
Not sure about Mac Mini, I don't think there's a way. But Macbooks can be checked by checking battery cycles.

No Mac expert at all, actually I'm a windows guy.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14631 posts
3358 upvotes
Vancouver
hansdoreen wrote: Not sure about Mac Mini, I don't think there's a way. But Macbooks can be checked by checking battery cycles.

No Mac expert at all, actually I'm a windows guy.
I found the area but I am guessing its reset before purchased. Mine only shows my useage since yesterday.
Dec 8, 2010
384 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
I’m planning on the M1 Mac Mini. When I bought my MacBook Air M1 last month I contemplated 16/512. But after some research I went for the base 8/256 and I couldn’t be happier. It runs extremely smooth without any lag nor issue. Dead quiet and I literally only need to charge it once every four days with normal usage. It’s incredible.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3866 posts
5373 upvotes
Oakville
Need some advice.

This year I plan on buying MacBook pro 16 with new chip for movie making.

Already have for gaming Alienware R11, 64GB 3200hz ram, core i9 processor, with RTX3090.

Have an LG gram 17" for portable light weight work with 16gb ram.

My question:
If I buy this mac mini, what space use does it fall under? My understand which needs some guidance is that it's Not meant to be portable, but more of a desktop application? ..how is everyone using there's? Do you guys hook up to TV for streaming? Normal desktop for Mac Experience?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
McGarnagle wrote: No and it never will be again going forward
An easy decision then, thank you.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Jul 3, 2017
341 posts
479 upvotes
Coquitlam
You have to look at this not as a typical PC, where all the components are separate. The M1 macs are all integrated and optimized to give you quite a nice performing computer (even with 8GB of RAM).

It's said that the M1 macs even outperforms most of the Intel-based MacBook Pros (if not all).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1546 posts
1439 upvotes
Just get the 16gb of ram and future proof yourself. Even if it runs well now, you'll reach a bottleneck regarding memory sooner rather than later. And no, swap memory or using the SSD to compensate for that lack of ram isn't the same. And remember that you can't upgrade the ram yourself so just max that out, and get the 256gb storage model since you can just get an external SSD to make up for the smaller storage.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2387 posts
17484 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: In a desk computer, it's barely passable for the average consumer.

In a laptop, I'm a little more forgiving... again, for the average consumer.

We're quickly entering a world where 16GB is the minimum for reasonable performance with breathing room.

Grandmotherly recipe lookups will be fine with 8GB for a few more years to come, before bloat raises that ceiling as well.

4GB is problematic unless you're quite careful with your app usage, which most older parents are not, likewise most tweens.

Hope that helps.
I know you like to be the "resident RFD expert" when it comes to literally any PC/computer thread, but none of this information is correct when it comes to Macs with the M1 processor.

Comparing an 8 GB RAM M1 Mac Mini to a Windows 10 PC with any processor and 8 GB RAM is not directly comparable.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
Leverage wrote: I know you like to be the "resident RFD expert" when it comes to literally any PC/computer thread, but none of this information is correct when it comes to Macs with the M1 processor.

Comparing an 8 GB RAM M1 Mac Mini to a Windows 10 PC with any processor and 8 GB RAM is not directly comparable.
You may be correct when it comes to the Mac Mini M1, but I still believe my advise holds generally.

My experience with family is that machines deployed with 16GB RAM suffer fewer complaints, or they take longer to succumb to problems caused by the user.

Laymen unknowingly load bloat after bloat after bloat, consuming RAM while idling, and wonder why their system has bogged down. 16GB buys a much longer runway before these system issues seriously sabotage performance.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2387 posts
17484 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: You may be correct when it comes to the Mac Mini M1, but I still believe my advise holds generally.
Yes and:

So your advise doesn't hold, which is why I commented the way I did - people read your comments as fact on these computer threads but this time the comments were a miss.
Jul 3, 2017
341 posts
479 upvotes
Coquitlam
redflagdealsguy wrote:
You may be correct when it comes to the Mac Mini M1, but I still believe my advise holds generally.

My experience with family is that machines deployed with 16GB RAM suffer fewer complaints, or they take longer to succumb to problems caused by the user.

Laymen unknowingly load bloat after bloat after bloat, consuming RAM while idling, and wonder why their system has bogged down. 16GB buys a much longer runway before these system issues seriously sabotage performance.
More RAM is always better Winking Face

Just from my experience from the Mac Mini M1, it's so efficient that it feels like you have 16GB of RAM. So the typical user wouldn't need more than the 8GB of RAM. Maybe if you're doing video editing or something then some more RAM would be nice.