• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2023 4:11 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10096 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
From Stansberry & Associates daily digest:

Apple's share price broke below $600 Friday for the first time since July. Today, the stock trades in the $590s. It hasn't closed below $600 since July 30.

Apple fired two executives earlier this week, including mobile software chief Scott Forstall, the company's most controversial executive. Forstall was close to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The Wall Street Journal suggests Jobs' "outsized personality" kept feisty characters like Forstall in check. Apparently, the last straw for current Apple CEO Tim Cook came when Forstall refused to sign an apology letter Cook issued to Apple customers for the company's bug-laden and widely criticized mobile maps software.

Apple also fired John Browett, the recently hired head of Apple's retail stores. Browett was also thought to be difficult to work with and a poor fit for the Apple culture. Makes you wonder how good Jobs' successor Tim Cook is at finding new talent that fits Apple's unique culture.

Apple's business trades at less than 10 times earnings, once you factor out its excess cash holdings. That seems pretty cheap for such an iconic business… but I doubt I'll ever recommend the stock. I have this nagging fear it will end up like Dell. The computer-maker was the darling of the 1990s. I even heard one analyst say Dell was the best-performing stock of the 1990s.

But today, Dell is struggling. It turned out, PCs and laptops were more like commodity products than branded consumer products. Apple has more than 60% of the tablet market today. How long will that last? Definitely not forever… and maybe not much longer.

Microsoft's new Surface tablet is a huge step in the right direction. Apple's iPads are more like big phones than small computers. I can't do real work on mine. I won't know for sure until my new Surface arrives at my door, but it looks like I'll be able to do real work on it… because it runs on a version of Microsoft's updated Windows 8 operating system. That's smart of Microsoft. We'll see how it sells.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: Microsoft's new Surface tablet is a huge step in the right direction. Apple's iPads are more like big phones than small computers. I can't do real work on mine. I won't know for sure until my new Surface arrives at my door, but it looks like I'll be able to do real work on it… because it runs on a version of Microsoft's updated Windows 8 operating system. That's smart of Microsoft. We'll see how it sells.
At $660 CDN (!) for the base model with the keyboard cover needed to do this so-called "real work" - Apple has nothing to fear.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Hmm good luck to those who buy this at 700 lul
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
TheRed wrote: Hmm good luck to those who buy this at 700 lul
It's a total bloodbath. 100 billion dollars has been wiped from this company in 1.5 months.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
brunes wrote: It's a total bloodbath. 100 billion dollars has been wiped from this company in 1.5 months.
...or another way of looking at it, is that 200 billion dollars has been added to the company in 11 months.

Check back in the Spring to see how small this dip in Apple's stock really turned out to be...
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
time space wrote: ...or another way of looking at it, is that 200 billion dollars has been added to the company in 11 months.

Check back in the Spring to see how small this dip in Apple's stock really turned out to be...
The rate of decline was much more rapid than the rate of growth. That is not a good sign.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
203 upvotes
time space wrote: Check back in the Spring to see how small this dip in Apple's stock really turned out to be...
Depends on whether they can get their supply problems sorted out as demand is still far exceeding supply.
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
Well I was wrong. 3 million ipads sold over the weekend. That's kinda good.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10096 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
AAPL is a short. Wait for price to come back up to a good short area, then short it. Trend is down, join the trend.
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: AAPL is a short. Wait for price to come back up to a good short area, then short it. Trend is down, join the trend.
Isn't this advice $120 late? Just how much more downside do you expect barring a market affecting world event?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1330 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
time space wrote: All aboard the Apple rocketship - it's buy time!
"all aboard" or "abort"
My work here is done - [IMG]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Au7PTwsCIAAu7G_.jpg[/IMG]
SOFT Landing - [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/14ilmqt.jpg[/IMG]
Bonus parade Can banks - here - with "No banker left behind"
Les États-Désunis du Canada - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDRg7TLY8c
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
TheRed wrote: Please go back to 540 pretty apple please
Holy shoot its almost there
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10096 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
jonmar wrote: Isn't this advice $120 late? Just how much more downside do you expect barring a market affecting world event?
Did today's drop answer your question? Once it traded below its 200 day Moving Avg (Nov 2), it ain't gonna look pretty.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10096 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
time space wrote: I'll get aboard, you abort - and we'll see who soars.
Did you really get on board? Or just talk talk talk ?
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: Did today's drop answer your question? Once it traded below its 200 day Moving Avg (Nov 2), it ain't gonna look pretty.
Actually no it didn't. When the entire market is hemorrhaging, that is one of those market affecting events I referred to. Just how much downside do you really think there is left, all things being equal? Just as nothing goes straight up, nothing goes straight down. They aren't going to give it away.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
203 upvotes
jonmar wrote: Actually no it didn't. When the entire market is hemorrhaging, that is one of those market affecting events I referred to. Just how much downside do you really think there is left, all things being equal? Just as nothing goes straight up, nothing goes straight down. They aren't going to give it away.
As I said before, it'll be tough to reverse unless they get their supply problem issues under control (again, the demand is there - they just can't supply nearly enough to satisfy it or "investors").

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)