Investing

Apple Stocks

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2023 4:11 pm
Member
May 4, 2007
215 posts
111 upvotes
Victoria
boyoflondon wrote: Why bother? Your $22k is going to get you roughly 35 shares and how much profit would that generate you IF (big IF) the stock goes up?

Always think of the saying "never put your eggs in one basket". If you want to grow your account/generate some income and keep it safer, invest in some blue chip dividend paying stocks.

Help me with this. Why does it matter how many shares he can buy? If the stock is $6/share, he should be able to get ~3500 shares. If the stock goes up 10%, he's still made the same amount.

I won't argue with the diversification but in this case, the op would make or lose the same amount whether he bought 3500 @ $6 or 35 @ $600.
_ Go Flames!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 6, 2010
3143 posts
443 upvotes
Markham
It matters when it comes to average cost or taking a profit.

It's harder for a small investor to buy more stocks when apple goes down at 10% at 600 price.

If apple went up by 50%, I can sell half of my shares and leave the remaining to test out the market. I could do the same at $600 price range but odd lots will cost me more. Plus it's harder, psychologically, to get someone to buy in at $900 instead of $90.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 7, 2007
10820 posts
2535 upvotes
Apple is facing increasing challenges in tablet markets. and have been losing market in cellphone market to Android for years. Their PC market is nothing to write home about.

oh... they also have a rumored TV market... if they can convince people to get rid of their old TV once ever 1-2 years.

Apple feels that they can simply sue and block other competition. Once they fail in that, you will see their market share in cellphone around low 20%. tablet market will slowly level off with the introduction of Window 8 and probably will continue to drop for years to come.

Without Steve Jobs, Apple to me does not have the drive to deliver the same type of growth long term, at least not at 600 dollars per share.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9255 posts
2320 upvotes
Don't forget what happened to Facebook....Now under $26/per, how would you have felt buying in at $43!
Newbie
Jun 16, 2012
13 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Jimboski wrote: When you hit rock bottom there Is no where else to go but up!
Just like GM a couple of years ago. :lol:
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: With the Iphone 5 coming out soon. Would you invest in Apple before the launch? I have around $22k in my TFSA and thinking of ummm selling everything and put it all on Apple. Then sell once their shares go up. Bad idea?
You'd be up over $30 per share had you executed your plan. A ton more had you used calls. Weekly $620s up 75%+ since Friday. Personally, I like LEAPs though.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: After reading some of the IP5 specifications I wouldn't..
LOL people don't buy iPhones for their superior specs. People buy them for the overall experience (aesthetics, ease of use, apps).

For the past few years, Apple stocks typically shine after earning reports, not so much immediately after new product announcements.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
50455 posts
6513 upvotes
Toronto
myapple wrote: LOL people don't buy iPhones for their superior specs. People buy them for the overall experience (aesthetics, ease of use, apps).

For the past few years, Apple stocks typically shine after earning reports, not so much immediately after new product announcements.
I like your name, Really tells me which side you are on so I'm not going to start an argument.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 22, 2002
3010 posts
682 upvotes
Smartphone market is pretty saturated now.
Do you know anyone who wants an iPhone who doesn't already have one now?
We currently have users heavily entrenched in one camp or the other now (iOS vs Android).
Market share changes will be minor for the next few years.
I don't expect Windows 8 phones to make much of a dent.
APPL will continue to do well but I believe growth will slow considerably.
You're probably looking at fair market value around $580s.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: I like your name, Really tells me which side you are on so I'm not going to start an argument.
Just like your signature?

To the OP, your personal like or dislike should not dictate whether you buy aapl stock. Read and read and read. Make your own informed decision. Don't base it one whether someone thinks android is better than iOS.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3377 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
I hate apple, and all apple products..

I own the stock...
Hello
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
568 upvotes
ilusa wrote: I hate apple, and all apple products..

I own the stock...
That sucks... Really bad yr to be appl shareholder... Wouldve done much btr holding msft. appl stock has dimmer prospects than their products
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
gilboman wrote: That sucks... Really bad yr to be appl shareholder... Wouldve done much btr holding msft. appl stock has dimmer prospects than their products
Apple started off 2012 around $405, it is now $621. So AAPL is up $216 or +53% in 2012.

Microsoft started off 2012 around $25.96, it is now $30.42. MSFT is up $4.46 or +17% in 2012.

I'm not sure what you are basing your statements on, but I fail to see how holding MSFT would've been much better. 53% > 17%.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 20, 2004
1727 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
myapple wrote: Apple started off 2012 around $405, it is now $621. So AAPL is up $216 or +53% in 2012.

Microsoft started off 2012 around $25.96, it is now $30.42. MSFT is up $4.46 or +17% in 2012.

I'm not sure what you are basing your statements on, but I fail to see how holding MSFT would've been much better. 53% > 17%.
+1

LOL @ MSFT, you'd do better with EBAY
Member
Jan 13, 2011
462 posts
8 upvotes
LOL bad idea u have 22k but apple stock is what 560 a share even if the shares rise for iphone to like 580 thats what 30 shares unless the phone impresses right away I only see the stock going up during the announcement then dropping after like with the 4s which people were disappointed with
Newbie
Jul 7, 2012
12 posts
uhm, first off aapl is trading at $619ish, secondly, when 4s numbers were released in Feb 2012 after the 2011christmas season, they beat expectations significantly and the stock skyrocketed by April to a peak of 644 ... thirdly had the OP bought the shares , he would have made at least 1200 as of today (less than 30 day investment) which is more than any ***** 2% annual rate that a TFSA account pays ....
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
kear7856 wrote: LOL bad idea u have 22k but apple stock is what 560 a share even if the shares rise for iphone to like 580 thats what 30 shares unless the phone impresses right away I only see the stock going up during the announcement then dropping after like with the 4s which people were disappointed with
First, please do a quick stock quote and double check your numbers before posting incorrect/misleading information. Second, all stocks will have corrections/dips. What's important is how a stock performs in the medium-long term. People have been saying apple is over-priced for the past 4 years. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That's the fun of the stock market.

AAPL 01/2009: $90
AAPL 01/2010: $210
AAPL 01/2011: $322
AAPL 01/2012: $422
AAPL Today: $620

GOOG 01/2009: $321
GOOG 01/2010: $619
GOOG 01/2011: $593
GOOG 01/2012: $645
GOOG Today: $643
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
Valakai wrote: uhm, first off aapl is trading at $619ish, secondly, when 4s numbers were released in Feb 2012 after the 2011christmas season, they beat expectations significantly and the stock skyrocketed by April to a peak of 644 ... thirdly had the OP bought the shares , he would have made at least 1200 as of today (less than 30 day investment) which is more than any ***** 2% annual rate that a TFSA account pays ....
Not to mention the dividend although 30 shares wouldn't be that much. I'd be surprised if the stock doesn't see close to $644 again prior to September 12 given the iPhone 5 is expected to be the biggest product launch of all time. I would also expect a sell off after the announcement, not cause the product is crap, but just because of a buy the rumor sell the news event.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
ilusa wrote: I hate apple, and all apple products..

I own the stock...
Same here. You don't have to like a companie's products to invest in them, just their business. I can't stand Apple stuff but I own a fair number of shares. I don't plan on holding them forever... I will probably liquidate at least some of my position after the iPhone 5 launch.
gilboman wrote: That sucks... Really bad yr to be appl shareholder... Wouldve done much btr holding msft. appl stock has dimmer prospects than their products
Er.... say again? :confused: Why?

Also FTR I think investing in MSFT is a really bad idea, since the general concensus is that Windows 8 is going to be a flop.

Also this post should be in the Investing forum.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)