Investing

Apple Stocks

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2023 3:22 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19870 posts
2630 upvotes
Magoomba wrote: Smartphone market is pretty saturated now.
Do you know anyone who wants an iPhone who doesn't already have one now?
You shouldn't be looking at it like that. You should be looking at how many people have 3GS and first-year iPhone 4s, who will be either 75% through their 3 year contracts, or fully through them, when the iPhone 5 is released. That number of people is enormous, and the vast majority of them have been waiting for this upgrade.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
brunes wrote: You shouldn't be looking at it like that. You should be looking at how many people have 3GS and first-year iPhone 4s, who will be either 75% through their 3 year contracts, or fully through them, when the iPhone 5 is released. That number of people is enormous, and the vast majority of them have been waiting for this upgrade.
Hey, you just described...me! I got a 3GS on contract back in early 2010. I'm eligible for another upgrade soon...perfect timing for the new iphone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6890 posts
1130 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but if I never bought a stock before, if I want to buy some Apple stock like OP using TFSA, where should I start.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
rivet wrote: Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but if I never bought a stock before, if I want to buy some Apple stock like OP using TFSA, where should I start.
You could open a TFSA account with a discount brokerage like questrade.com
$4.95/trade (max $9.95/trade depending on volume)
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
To the OP, what did you end up doing? AAPL is at $636 right now. Did you get in or are you regretting not acting on your hunch? Might get a chance at a pull back Thursday and Friday with monthly OPEX. Highest put OI is $620 so it probably wont go lower than that. Fridays at 3:45 p.m. can be a good time to buy.
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
BTW, AAPL traded at its all time high this morning.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2011
1151 posts
340 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: Don't forget what happened to Facebook....Now under $26/per, how would you have felt buying in at $43!
LOL, today FB hit record lows while Apple hit record highs!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
Apple closed at $648.11 yesterday, up $74.80 from it's opening at $573.31 on 27 July 2012.

If the OP had purchased 38 shares, gain would have been $2842.80 in the intervening 22 days.
Dec 25, 2006
611 posts
49 upvotes
This thing is price to perfection and there is a lot of premium built into it. If the mainland Chinese switch taste, look out.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: Why bother? Your $22k is going to get you roughly 35 shares and how much profit would that generate you IF (big IF) the stock goes up?
I can't argue with the "IF" - but $2800 (or +13%) in 22 days is nothing to sneeze at - as a matter of fact, it's enough to buy a brand new retina MacBook Pro. ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
DrXenon wrote: I paid for MBPs for my whole family on AAPL profits. I think the Apple TV, iPad Mini and iPhone 5 are baked into the stock price though, so I'm selling the rest of it as soon as the press conference is announced in a couple of weeks.
Agreed - buy on the rumour, sell on the news - as they say.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: What?
It's an old saying regarding investing.

With at least the last several Apple products, the stock has taken a dive on the day of the press conference announcing their going on sale and for a while afterwards, before rebounding to even greater heights as the rumour mills start back up in the following months.
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
The highest call OI for just expired August monthlys was $650. Usually when the OPEX price is so slanted to the call side, that suggests bullish. There was a huge call wall at $640 and it pushed through without any problems. There might be some upward room left until the product announcement. That sell off should provide another great entry point.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1406 posts
303 upvotes
Quebec City
DrXenon wrote: I paid for MBPs for my whole family on AAPL profits. I think the Apple TV, iPad Mini and iPhone 5 are baked into the stock price though, so I'm selling the rest of it as soon as the press conference is announced in a couple of weeks.
time space wrote: Agreed - buy on the rumour, sell on the news - as they say.
This is exactly what I'm planning to do.
I bought some options on Aug. 14th (at the highest of the day unfortunately), the October 710$ CALL for 5.94$. (Pretty good as it was selling at 14.50$ this morning, a bit lower now but still over 13$ now)

First I was planning to buy the September one, but I chose October as I feared another October release date like iPhone 4S last year.

Anyway, my plan is to wait until they announce the press conference, which comes a few weeks before the actual "BIG DAY", so it should come pretty soon. In doing this, I avoid any deception that could arise from the new iPhone specs or other deceptions.
Jul 23, 2003
129 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
No one is thinking of puts after this run up?
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
sandpaper wrote: No one is thinking of puts after this run up?
Problem is the trend is up and you need perfect timing to catch any pullbacks. 'Buy the dip' works better on an uptrend. Having said that, I wont add to my long position between now and Friday due to weekly opex which can cause a lot of selling pressure as calls close out. The highest call OI for Friday is $680 it will have a tough time getting over that. If it does, that is really bullish i think.
A negative verdict in their Samsung lawsuit could be a real wildcard.

I will certainly consider some puts on the 12th of September after the announcement and vix crush.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19870 posts
2630 upvotes
I'm up about $1800 in the past month on AAPL. Going to sell right before the press conference (AAPL always has a big dip right after a presser)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
48 upvotes
Up $11+ AH yesterday on the back of big win v. Samsung. $674.95. The OP would be up around $100 per share with his original plan.