• Jan 30th, 2010 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4565 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto

An Apple Store Question

Hey guys, quick question. I am interested in getting an iPad at launch, but since it won't be available outside of the US, I was thinking of getting over to Buffalo to pick one up at Walden Galleria. Has anyone been to that store at an Apple product launch to let me know if the lines are crazy there? Thanks!
Board games!!!!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6017 posts
1172 upvotes
It is a matter of time when iPad will announce the Canadian availability. My speculation is it would be releasing it the same time as US. The WiFi version doesn't need any carrier support.
Jul 22, 2003
402 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Wifi models will be available in all markets at launch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4565 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, cool...that's great. No need to hike so far then. Thought I'd pick up the Wifi model first, since the 3G prob won't work with our carriers until at least Q3-Q4, and by that time, the next gen version will prob be announced.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2526 posts
59 upvotes
Also, iBooks is US specific right now as they haven't worked out a deal for Canadian publishers.
Jan 13, 2009
776 posts
12 upvotes
If the iPad becomes Rogers exclusive for the Canadian launch like the iPhone was, I wouldn't be surprised if the monthly plan was at least double that of the AT&T pricing at $29.99. We seem to get the short end to everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4565 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
Flash3 wrote: If the iPad becomes Rogers exclusive for the Canadian launch like the iPhone was, I wouldn't be surprised if the monthly plan was at least double that of the AT&T pricing at $29.99. We seem to get the short end to everything.
unless they get another petition like last time
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1250 posts
97 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Oh, cool...that's great. No need to hike so far then. Thought I'd pick up the Wifi model first, since the 3G prob won't work with our carriers until at least Q3-Q4, and by that time, the next gen version will prob be announced.
Steve Jobs said yesterday that the 3G models are shipping 30 days after the Wifi only models and it says right on the main iPad page that the 3G models are shipping in April.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4565 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
JohnEnglish wrote: Steve Jobs said yesterday that the 3G models are shipping 30 days after the Wifi only models and it says right on the main iPad page that the 3G models are shipping in April.
Ya, but that's US only. In his keynote he said he was going to work on the international partnerships after the keynote ended.

BTW, does anyone know which of the Apple stores in the GTA will most likely have the least line up?
Board games!!!!
May 19, 2008
757 posts
16 upvotes
i am not sure if the information i read was accurate and don't remmber where it is, but i read that it won't be locked to any carrier, fully unlocked and they will charge an extra 130$ on top of wifi model to have 3g(lots of people complaing as the 3g system cost under 10$ in production to add) and apple wants a whopping 130$ us for it
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13052 posts
4358 upvotes
i remember when customs were dinging people for bringing the iphone over the border... ;)
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Mar 20, 2004
120 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Ya, but that's US only. In his keynote he said he was going to work on the international partnerships after the keynote ended.

BTW, does anyone know which of the Apple stores in the GTA will most likely have the least line up?
Sherway Gardens. All the other malls will be packed with kids.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
58 upvotes
ipad comes out in 60 days, ie end of march, quite a while to go.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4565 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
devils-haven wrote: i am not sure if the information i read was accurate and don't remmber where it is, but i read that it won't be locked to any carrier, fully unlocked and they will charge an extra 130$ on top of wifi model to have 3g(lots of people complaing as the 3g system cost under 10$ in production to add) and apple wants a whopping 130$ us for it
Yah, but it uses microsim technology, which is currently not available in any of the Canadian carriers.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6017 posts
1172 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Yah, but it uses microsim technology, which is currently not available in any of the Canadian carriers.
It is just the same sim card we've all been using. You just need exacto knife to shape it down.
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rd.svg.png[/IMG]

I bet robbers will u those sim cards for $75 claiming it's more high tech. (Reminds me of the High density diskette scam in the early 90s)
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11369 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
No doubt some RFDer will sell the cut-down version for $10 instead of $8 in the b/s/t here...

tomtomtom wrote: It is just the same sim card we've all been using. You just need exacto knife to shape it down.

I bet robbers will u those sim cards for $75 claiming it's more high tech. (Reminds me of the High density diskette scam in the early 90s)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)