• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 3:48 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto

Is Apple TV needed for a TCL Roku tv?

An Apple TV box is connected to a (non-smart) TV to provide access to Netflix. Said TV will be replaced by a TCL Roku, and I believe that Netflix will be accessible from this built-in Roku software.
What benefits will the Apple TV provide to this new TCL TV? Is it even worth continuing to use the Apple TV?

i dont know much about smart tvs, apple tvs, etc.

any help is appreciated. thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3396 posts
2986 upvotes
Toronto
Using Netflix on your TCL TV

Welcome to Netflix on your TCL TV! Use this article to learn about Netflix features and how to set up and sign out of your account. If you’re unsure if your device supports Netflix, follow the steps in the “Set up Netflix” section to attempt to locate the Netflix app.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23928
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17242 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Is it the 4k Apple TV box? If not, it won't add much other than allowing you to access the extras from movies in your iTunes library.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Is it the 4k Apple TV box? If not, it won't add much other than allowing you to access the extras from movies in your iTunes library.
its not the 4k apple tv box. and itunes is not used nor has any media been purchased/downloaded from itunes.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17242 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
ausername wrote: its not the 4k apple tv box. and itunes is not used nor has any media been purchased/downloaded from itunes.
No point keeping the apple tv. I would use the built in apps.
Mar 8, 2004
535 posts
311 upvotes
Kanata
Eventually the apps on your TV will no longer get updates. An external stick or box will tend to get updates for longer.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3634 posts
689 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
gumby_ng wrote: Eventually the apps on your TV will no longer get updates. An external stick or box will tend to get updates for longer.
Roku will push updates just like they do with their streaming sticks. Only a high end Roku stick might get longer support because the higher end hardware may be a bit more future proof.
Oct 1, 2009
545 posts
236 upvotes
West coast
Do you have subs to Apple tv? That's the only reason I can think of if you want to keep it plugged in. Other wise save electricity or place it on another tv that doesn't have access to Netflix.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2455 posts
1040 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gumby_ng wrote: Eventually the apps on your TV will no longer get updates. An external stick or box will tend to get updates for longer.
but by then, you just get the latest stick/box. no need in keeping the one you have now as that one will also become obsolete
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1040 posts
631 upvotes
Vancouver
Stick to your AppleTV. Built-in TV softwares are very insecure and should not be connected to the internet. Plus they are often slow
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3634 posts
689 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
kramer1 wrote: Stick to your AppleTV. Built-in TV softwares are very insecure and should not be connected to the internet. Plus they are often slow
OP is talking about a Roku TV and that platform is pretty locked down and secure. Roku pushes updates and provides those updates for a long time.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1040 posts
631 upvotes
Vancouver
fergy wrote: OP is talking about a Roku TV and that platform is pretty locked down and secure. Roku pushes updates and provides those updates for a long time.
This is the latest vulnerability I have seen - https://securityledger.com/2020/11/secu ... smart-tvs/ - While it is not Roku related, who knows what the TV manufacturers did.

Why bother taking the risk, when the OP has a secure option?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17242 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
If the Apple TV is 1080 and the Roku TV is 4k, I'd use the Roku apps to get 4k Netflix, iTunes, and Prime.

Vulnerabilities may be in every TV OS, just hasn't been found or exploited yet.
Dec 8, 2017
517 posts
240 upvotes
I have this exact setup and I prefer using my Apple TV, because the TCL doesn't have bluetooth, and I like to hookup my wireless headphones to the TV. I also prefer the layout and functionality of the apple tv over roku, which to be fair is not bad either. I also buy movies on iTunes, so I need it for iTunes Extra.

Edit: I should add that I have a 4K apple TV. I wouldn't use my apple TV otherwise.