Shopping Discussion

Apple Unified Gift cards - Same for Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2021 9:37 am
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
79 posts
58 upvotes

Apple Unified Gift cards - Same for Canada?

Apple's US gift cards are now unified, which means the days of buying discounted iTunes gift cards are likely over (already pulled from US's Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's):
See https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/31/apple-gi ... verything/

Does anyone know if it'll be the same in Canada? If so, Canadian Costco still has them listed for sale on the website (less discount than before?), so may be opportunity to stock up now before it's gone too.

The Canadian page has not been updated yet:
US:
https://www.apple.com/shop/gift-cards
CA:
https://www.apple.ca/shop/gift-cards
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15345 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Costco Canada's regular price for $100 iTunes GCs used to be $89.99, sometimes it would be discounted to $79.99 or $78.99
Then Costco changed the regular price to $94.99, the biggest discount I have seen since then was to $84.99
I got some $50 iTunes GCs at No Frills recently that came with a 7,500 PCO point bonus
If this unified gift card comes to Canada too, it will probably be the end of getting discounted digital products from Apple through GCs
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13074 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
Sorry, didn't follow up trend

Why unified GC will end discount?
Oct 14, 2014
973 posts
1140 upvotes
Southern Ontario
smartie wrote: Sorry, didn't follow up trend

Why unified GC will end discount?
Because then one could buy discounted GCs for the purpose of buying Apple hardware, which they don't want to allow.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13074 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
lefroset wrote: Because then one could buy discounted GCs for the purpose of buying Apple hardware, which they don't want to allow.
Thanks

I always thought discount is from retailers such as Costco
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1344 posts
1192 upvotes
SURREY
I wonder if Apple is feeling the crunch and may allow the discounts to continue. I know they have hundreds of billions in cash but you know what Warren Buffett said when asked how much is enough…
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17829 posts
10395 upvotes
Ottawa
it was always a bit confusing that there were two types of gift cards. Apple Store gift cards, Apple App Store gift cards.

But this sucks if there is no more discounted cards. Now I wish I loaded up last time.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7392 posts
8081 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
smartie wrote: Thanks

I always thought discount is from retailers such as Costco
Well basically what happens is that Costco buys x amount of GCs from Apple, and Apple gives them a discount on the cards for doing so. Costco can then sell these GCs for below-face-value (but still more than what they paid) and make some money off them. In the end this benefits all 3 parties as:

1) Consumer "saves" money towards something they wanted to purchase anyways.
2) Costco/Seller makes money on the GC purchase itself, plus the chance of the consumer buying other things as well.
3) Apple/Retailer gets business and as most consumers spend more than what their GCs are worth can even make back the whole difference.
Mar 20, 2009
273 posts
435 upvotes
Hi !

Just an head-up!

Apple has introduced a new single gift card in the U.S. for all things Apple. First spotted by iCulture, the card can be used at the App Store and other online services, but you can also use it to buy products and accessories in the Apple Store.
reviously, there were two separate Apple gift cards available: iTunes cards, which can be used for *App Store*, iTunes Store, and iCloud storage purchases; and Apple Store gift cards, used for buying goods at Apple's online and brick-and-mortar retail stores.

Apple has a dedicated page on its website explaining what the new card does and how it can be used. "Products, accessories, apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, *iCloud*, and more. This gift card does it all. And then some," reads the tagline.

As before, customers can decide what amount they want on the cards, which can also be used to add money directly into an Apple Account Balance for paying for things like Apple products, accessories, apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, and more.

The cards also have a new design, with colored Apple logos. There are a total of eight different designs if you request a gift card by email, and five designs for the physical version.

The webpage goes on to explain that U.S. users can continue to use their current Apple Store cards, while existing *App Store* and iTunes cards can now also be used in the US to purchase products from the Apple Store.

Currently Apple is only offering the new cards in the U.S., but it's likely they will make their way to other countries in the near future.

Sadly for digital movies and tv shows hoarder is will be the end of 15% off for itunes giftcard ( costco, sdm, jean coutu etc) I think if you need to buy apple hardware in the near future its could be a nice way to get a discount if costco pop-up a new 15% off discount before the switch in Canada.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/31/ap ... ing-apple/

https://www.macworld.com/article/356954 ... deals.html

https://www.apple.com/shop/gift-cards
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1440 posts
769 upvotes
TORONTO
Nice if it comes to Canada. Then I can pay the CRA and that pesky investigator who said I'll be jailed if I don't send them xxx amount soon.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
79 posts
58 upvotes
Discount cards at Costco:

Source

But I still can't find info on the status of unified gift cards in Canada
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
justkev wrote: Discount cards at Costco:

Source

But I still can't find info on the status of unified gift cards in Canada
Not as good a deal as it once was ...
Used to be $ 5 cheaper
Warehouse Regular = $ 89.99
SALE = $ 79.99

But it’s still a good deal @ 15% off face value

Time to stock up incase the unified / NO CHOICE-NO DISCOUNT card does come to Canada
🤬 &$!#%
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15345 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Looks like the Apple unified gift card has arrived in Canada. Good for all Apple products and services. "Valid only for Canadian transactions from Apple." This new page appearing coincides with iTunes GCs disappearing from Costco, 7-Eleven, and other retailers.