• Aug 7th, 2019 7:00 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes

apple warranty and no receipt,,apple wants original receipt

i thought it was the product that was warrantied
verified by inputtting serial for validation if there is still an existing warranty

yet apple reps keep asking for the official receipt and for a lot of people they have a valid warranty according to the serial number validation
yet do no possess a receipt for various reasons, gift,lost receipt, repurchased used,

any one have input..thanks
19 replies
Mar 11, 2012
291 posts
76 upvotes
Interesting, for all my iPhones/iPads with Apple Care they never cared for official receipt.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20062 posts
5451 upvotes
Good Morning
edturon@hotmail.com wrote: i thought it was the product that was warrantied
verified by inputtting serial for validation if there is still an existing warranty

yet apple reps keep asking for the official receipt and for a lot of people they have a valid warranty according to the serial number validation
yet do no possess a receipt for various reasons, gift,lost receipt, repurchased used,

The website validation confirms that it has warranty based on its manufacture date. But in order to actually use the warranty, you must have a proof of purchase to validate the warranty.

I may be not up to date, but this was the case a few years ago (7+?).
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13855 posts
5424 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've gone into the Apple Store to get iPhones serviced and never once asked for the original receipt. The serial number is all they need, plus my name. But maybe because I'm the original owner?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8907 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just try another store.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Just try another store.
it was online chat
as for stores and authorized repair facilities near oakville..there are 0 time slots available
apple care service booklet also asks for the receipt
is it a scam that a receipt is asked for but not really needed by law here in ontario
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1262 posts
1246 upvotes
Hmm does it make a difference if you bought at an Apple store/online vs a third party retailer? I’ve never had a problem with AppleCare since I’ve only bought thru the apple website and always get an emailed receipt (automatically generated from and kept in their database)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8558 upvotes
GTHA
edturon@hotmail.com wrote: it was online chat
as for stores and authorized repair facilities near oakville..there are 0 time slots available
is it a scam that a receipt is asked for but not really needed by law here in ontario
Source?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2432 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto
OP, where did you get your iphone from originally?
If bought second hand, maybe someone might have contacted Apple about your unit?
Like many have said already, they usually never ask for a receipt
If they do... I am pretty sure something's up with your account or your unit
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1179 posts
709 upvotes
canada
2 moves

Something wrong with the history of the phone : ie stolen etc

Or 2

Rouge employee entrepetating policy differently then apples universal LAW. Happens alllll the time at garbage stores.

Solutions .. 2

1. Call in and ask about the problem say no one ever gets asked for a receipt

2. Goto a diff store and try.. ( try this first )
[OP]
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: Source?
say

say apple dissuades a person from getting a repair because said person has been duped into believing a receipt is necessary.
using tested legal techniques to confound said person seeking a repair and said person walks as they don't have a receipt
apple saves a few dollars from not doing a repair
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20062 posts
5451 upvotes
Good Morning
edturon@hotmail.com wrote: say

say apple dissuades a person from getting a repair because said person has been duped into believing a receipt is necessary.
using tested legal techniques to confound said person seeking a repair and said person walks as they don't have a receipt
apple saves a few dollars from not doing a repair
That's not a law lol that's your point of view.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
edturon@hotmail.com wrote: i thought it was the product that was warrantied

Warrantees always have conditions attached. Frequently the term of the warranty begins with the date of purchase as determined by the receipt. With a pricey product there should always be a receipt - even when gifted and second hand. Without a receipt it is reasonable to have warrantee service denied.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20082 posts
4621 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
edturon@hotmail.com wrote: it was online chat
Maybe the serial number in question was identified as a stolen product or something?

Did the product come from a Kijiji deal or something?
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes
there are dre beatsx without power available on ebay.ca,they have been returned to best buy and then bestbuy resells them online.
so if you watch the bidding you can pick up a pair for cheap.
and if you check the serial..the warranty is still valid as they where not released until february 2017 and had manufacturing dates after that as well
so having used apples warranty service in the past... it was no questions asked..just send them in

figured the same for the dre beatsx
then comes up reference to an original receipt, first i heard of this and the reps are good and the script tight to make you think no receipt no service.
this seems to be across the board from chat, to talk, to store..referencing this to google searching
also they try and get you to admit to what you did to try and troubleshoot the problem cause they want to find something you did... to again deny service.so you don't and didn't troubleshoot..you ask for warranty repair
eventually the rep agreed to a repair.
without original or updated receipt
repair status is a replacement

today january 12 there is a beatx broken on ebay.ca mainly-electronics
Feb 11, 2011
48 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
SquadG wrote: I hate to say this but, make up a fake receipt that look legit...
LMAO this wouldn’t work because everything is synced electronically. Like if you photoshop a receipt, Apple will just call the store and give the serial number shown on your receipt to have them compare it with their internal records.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3785 posts
2587 upvotes
Vancouver
mckenziepiping wrote: LMAO this wouldn’t work because everything is synced electronically. Like if you photoshop a receipt, Apple will just call the store and give the serial number shown on your receipt to have them compare it with their internal records.
Plenty of authorized Apple resellers don’t print serial numbers on receipts. London Drugs for example. Their POS systems are from the early 90s.
Feb 11, 2011
48 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
Spinner wrote: Plenty of authorized Apple resellers don’t print serial numbers on receipts. London Drugs for example. Their POS systems are from the early 90s.
Good to know ... I also have AirPods I received as a gift that stopped working 2 months after unboxing. I was gonna buy another set, scan the receipt, then return the new ones, then photoshop the receipt date to something more plausible and upload it to the Apple website so that my useless AirPods could be covered under warranty ... then noticed that most merchants print the serial number on the receipt and even if they didn’t, you can call and give them the serial number or any Apple product they’ve sold and they are able to see the sale date in their system. So I canned the idea for fear that Apple would call the store (even if it’s one like London Drugs that doesn’t print the s/n on the receipt) and receive the purchase date from their system.