Computers & Electronics

Apple Watch or Garmins? Which watch is easy to get a battery replacement done?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 8:16 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
573 posts
70 upvotes

Apple Watch or Garmins? Which watch is easy to get a battery replacement done?

Apple Watch or Garmin?

I have the Samsung Gear S3. As much as I love it (I use Endomondo to track my workouts with it) when it works, I have enough of the sudden battery drainage & software update issues.
Anyway, going to look for another watch. I will be getting a iPhone 11. Would love to know if owners of Apple Watch or Garmin Forerunners have issues with the watch battery, and if the battery replacement was easy.

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5879 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
I've had multiple Garmin watches over the years. My current Vivoactive 3 gets 5 to 6 days out of a battery charge if I don't do a GPS activity which typically lasts about 1.5 hours. My typical GPS activity consumes about 13 to 15% of battery so I typically recharge after 3 days if I do a GPS activity each day.

A typical battery lasts about 1,000 recharge cycles so it seems to me, it ought to be possible to have your battery last 10 years or even longer. I doubt that you should ever need to change a battery before you change for other reasons such as improvements in technology. My Forerunner 301 is 15 years old and the battery is still good. My 12 year old FR305's battery died last year. I have a 4 year old FR910XT and the battery is like new. My 5 year old Vivoactive 1's battery is like new.

That being said, the functionality of a Garmin FR watch is very different than an Apple watch so make sure you know what you're getting when you decide. An Apple watch is a smartwatch with fitness options. A Garmin FR is a fitness activity watch with basic smart functionality.
Phils
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
573 posts
70 upvotes
The Gear S3 is a smartwatch with fitness options. I have the Endomondo app on it which I use to track my workouts. In the earlier phase, I was enjoying having call alerts, text messages routed to my watch. All that changed with Tizen 3 with sudden battery drainage etc. Right now, 10% discharge per hour. Lots of problems which Samsung is not caring to fix.
Jun 6, 2018
95 posts
41 upvotes
My wife and I have garmin vivoactive hr. Time between charges is a week to 11 days. I like the notifications and hr monitor and activity tracker.
It tracks different types of activities. Depends on what level of accuracy on the GPS depends on battery usage.
I will never get a watch that needs to be charged every other day or less.
My brother in law has the forerunner as he is an active runner.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2975 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you have an iPhone get an apple watch it'll be lightyears better than the competition. There's a reason they're so popular. If you buy from Apple they have a generous return policy so try it out and if you don't like it then return it.

I charge my phone every day and never wear my watch sleeping so it goes on the nightstand and charges. Not a big deal at all. If i didn't charge it i could get 2 or 3 days out of it depending how many workouts.