• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 1:38 am
[OP]
Jul 23, 2009
909 posts
421 upvotes
Ireland

Applecare worth it?

Paid almost $700 for an iPad Air 3 back in August, Applecare offers 2 years of support along with 2x repair or replacement for accidental damage for $79.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Applecare? Is it worth the money they are charging?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17260 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
If you are really careful with how and who uses the iPad, I think you can skip the additional warranty.

I've purchased apple care plus in the past for iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks and never needed it.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3639 posts
846 upvotes
For $79 its worth it, but I dont think its that cheap...
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4700 posts
2066 upvotes
GTA
You have to remember there's also the deductible when you want something serviced under the accidental coverage.

I think it's worth it if you're planning on keeping it for a long time and you want to be a little more care free about how you handle it
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12312 posts
3460 upvotes
ipad air... no

ipad pro 12 inch... maybe
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5721 posts
1455 upvotes
Milton
If the ipad air stays at home then i dont think you should get applecare.

I think its more worth it for apple's more expensive products like their newer phones, laptops, desktops etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9704 posts
4900 upvotes
Markham
savercanuck91 wrote: Paid almost $700 for an iPad Air 3 back in August, Applecare offers 2 years of support along with 2x repair or replacement for accidental damage for $79.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Applecare? Is it worth the money they are charging?
Do you bring it outside your house? More important, do you have young kids?
Aug 21, 2006
63 posts
24 upvotes
You have to pay a fee for replacement each time.

I just bought an iPhone 11 Pro and AppleCare+ would cost $279. Then $139 for accidental damage or $39 for screen damage each time (and I assume there’s a max # of times).

Over the expected time of ownership for me (3 years), it’s likely that any breakage will happen in the first year and be covered by warranty unless it’s a screen, which can be replaced at the Apple store for cheap ($125 or $87 more than with AppleCare+).

Outside of warranty, replacement would be done by Apple using a refurbished phone, which will be cheaper at that point ($800).

Calculate the average number of phones you’ve broken per year outside of warranty. In my case it’s 0.2.

Risk factor of 0.2 x price of refurbished phone ($800-replacement fee of $139 = $661) + 0.2 x screen repair discount = financial value of warranty to me = $149.60

In my case the AppleCare+ warranty is definitely not worthwhile because it’s $129.40 cheaper to “insure myself” by not buying an extended warranty than it would be to purchase it.

That is likely also true for almost everybody unless you break phones every few months. For technology, defects are apparent in year 1 in almost all cases and replacement value decreases over the life of technology.

TL;DR: Extended warranty like AppleCare+ is likely only worthwhile if you are extremely clumsy, have no savings at all, and have zero credit.
Mar 26, 2008
453 posts
175 upvotes
i think it's more important to get a good case, ie otterbox-style where if you drop the ipad face down, the case hits the floor instead of the screen. if you have one of these it's very unlikely you'll need applecare for a damaged ipad.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9704 posts
4900 upvotes
Markham
dainja wrote:
Over the expected time of ownership for me (3 years), it’s likely that any breakage will happen in the first year

For technology, defects are apparent in year 1 in almost all cases and replacement value decreases over the life of technology.
I seriously doubt you have any evidence on this
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
savercanuck91 wrote: Paid almost $700 for an iPad Air 3 back in August, Applecare offers 2 years of support along with 2x repair or replacement for accidental damage for $79.

Is any extended warranty worth it?

The way I see it, if an extended warranty makes you pay a deductible then no... definitely not, just take care of your devices. Obviously accidents happen but just try to not let that happen.