• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 8:22 pm
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
821 posts
635 upvotes

Is AppleCare+ worth it?

I just got myself a M1 Macbook and didn't end up getting AppleCare+. Should I though? I don't see myself taking this out much out of the house and even if I did, it'll just be going to the office or the library and odd cafe here and there.

It was already quite pricey for the machine and AppleCare would add another $300+tax to that and more when I have to get it serviced.

What do you say? This is my first MacBook so idk the general consensus about it. I got it for my iPad since that's portable and I see it being taken everywhere but not this laptop.
13 replies
Oct 23, 2002
503 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
I would suggest doing so. I know someone who used it purely at home, but managed to damage the screen after tripping on the power cable. They were also a victim of "flexgate" on their previous Macbook, where a long term defect in a cable that connects the display to the motherboard eventually fails. A screen replacement out of warranty goes for $900.

Oh and before that, the same person's Macbook before the last one gave up the ghost multiple times due to a hard drive cable that would eventually wear out.
Apr 25, 2014
189 posts
166 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, I got it with AppleCare+ as it is a "first edition" and you don't know what issues might show up down the road. Plus I do intend to keep the laptop for a while, as it is very snappy and works great, so the peace of mind was worth to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2652 posts
800 upvotes
Tyrant wrote: I would suggest doing so. I know someone who used it purely at home, but managed to damage the screen after tripping on the power cable. They were also a victim of "flexgate" on their previous Macbook, where a long term defect in a cable that connects the display to the motherboard eventually fails. A screen replacement out of warranty goes for $900.

Oh and before that, the same person's Macbook before the last one gave up the ghost multiple times due to a hard drive cable that would eventually wear out.
That's actually normal for mcbooks. It is designed that way on purpose.
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
I have never gotten Applecare or Applecare+ For any of the Macs ( ~10) that I have bought over the years.

Things to consider:
The M1 MBA has no moving parts
If cpu/electronics are bad, you will know within 90 days
How clumsy or careless are you with your laptop?
Screen replacement will still incur $129 fee -so $429
Did you buy with a credit card that has accidental coverage?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19882 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
Nevyn wrote: I have never gotten Applecare or Applecare+ For any of the Macs ( ~10) that I have bought over the years.

Things to consider:
What he said.

I personally usually don't get AppleCare and just depend upon credit card extended warranty (although that means no refurbs).

And for the occasions I do get AppleCare, it's usually for high dollar items where the cost of AppleCare is a small percentage of the overall cost, and where I'm writing off the cost for my business. I don't think it makes much sense to spend $$$ on AppleCare for a lower cost item like a lower end MacBook Air, as you may end up spending an extra 25% just for AppleCare.
Jul 10, 2019
154 posts
309 upvotes
Montreal
If it does break, trust me it'll hurt like a mf. That's why I buy it.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
821 posts
635 upvotes
Tyrant wrote: I would suggest doing so. I know someone who used it purely at home, but managed to damage the screen after tripping on the power cable. They were also a victim of "flexgate" on their previous Macbook, where a long term defect in a cable that connects the display to the motherboard eventually fails. A screen replacement out of warranty goes for $900.

The thing is with these new Macbooks, the battery is so good I rarely have to charge it on a table and only charge it at night so it's basically on a table all night where's its secure. I don't see myself tripping on it.

Yeah, I'm wondering about any hardware defects that may pop up in the future and that's the main reason I'm considering it.
Nevyn wrote: I have never gotten Applecare or Applecare+ For any of the Macs ( ~10) that I have bought over the years.

Things to consider:
- I actually got the M1 Macbook Pro so while there's fan, it's rare even turns on (according to the TG Pro app) so any wear would be very minimal.
- I wouldn't say I'm entirely babying it but I'm fairly careful with it like any other laptop I had before. I use it mainly on a table or my lap while on my bed but I'm not throwing it around. I only had one laptop break on my a while ago because I was playing games on it and I think the overheating killed the motherboard but this runs really cool and warm at worst so I don't see that happening. I still have my laptop from 2010 in fairly good condition and runs well enough (at least with the hardware that was available back then). Only thing wrong with it is the battery is pretty much gone due to degradation and I kept it plugged in most of the time.
- My credit card should have the warranty but it doesn't cover refurb usually, right? I got a refurb unit.
EugW wrote: What he said.

I personally usually don't get AppleCare and just depend upon credit card extended warranty (although that means no refurbs).

And for the occasions I do get AppleCare, it's usually for high dollar items where the cost of AppleCare is a small percentage of the overall cost, and where I'm writing off the cost for my business. I don't think it makes much sense to spend $$$ on AppleCare for a lower cost item like a lower end MacBook Air, as you may end up spending an extra 25% just for AppleCare.
This was pretty pricey already (~$2300) so I didn't really want to raise the price even more since if I get it, it'll still be like 15-20% of the total price I paid for it. Though if it's really needed, I can just eat the costs and get it hence the thread.

How much is a battery replacement without warranty? That's probably the one thing where I'll end up using AppleCare+
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6136 posts
2661 upvotes
Debtario
I personally would not buy a warranty, though I know someone for whom it worked out in their favour - and only because of Apple's flawed hardware.

Hard drive cables can wear out? Apple uses a belt drive to turn the hard drive, lol? That's terrible. Googled that out of curiosity and it appears they put the cable in a really bad spot. Not all that shocked, I was the victim of early iMac GPU defects for which apple never issued a recall or repaired out of warranty.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Feels Good Man wrote: How much is a battery replacement without warranty? That's probably the one thing where I'll end up using AppleCare+
$259.

Just searching M1 Macbook issues brings up a lot of different issues.
A particularly concerning rumour is extreme SSD usage.
There also seems to be a lot of M1 refurbs, for something that just came out months ago. Only Apple would know if those are just returns from buyer's remorse or repaired defective units.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
821 posts
635 upvotes
zerod wrote: $259.

Just searching M1 Macbook issues brings up a lot of different issues.
A particularly concerning rumour is extreme SSD usage.
There also seems to be a lot of M1 refurbs, for something that just came out months ago. Only Apple would know if those are just returns from buyer's remorse or repaired defective units.
That seems to mostly affect people with 8GB of RAM. I opted for the 16GB though so it wouldn't really affect me too much.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6821 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
How does a hard drive cable “eventually wear out”?
Oct 23, 2002
503 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal
Thermal expansion due to surrounding components can apparently kill the cables.