Home & Garden

(Appliances) Don’t make them like they use too.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes

(Appliances) Don’t make them like they use too.

So my house(Bought 4 years ago) came with appliances and they are in decent shape for older stuff, I noticed yesterday that the whirlpool washing machine was leaking a bit of oil underneath and figure the transmission is on the way out. I looked up the serial number and the washer is 24 years old! I was kinda surprised at this as it looks good and has been one of the better washers I’ve owned!
I’m sure the newer stuff won’t make 24-25 years.
Any thoughts on what model to replace it with?
It’s a whirlpool heavy duty super capacity plus model.
Would like to find one similar for sure.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 21st, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "appliances" to title
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32826 posts
14547 upvotes
Maybe just fix the existing one? You seem to know what might be wrong with it so repairing with proper parts may be an option. Just get the model# and start by going online looking for exploded parts views, etc. and see what you might need.

Otherwise, I'd recommend something made in Germany, USA, Canada, etc. though note that even ones "assembled in" these places these days use "foreign components" which you can be sure involves China stuff. I mean there's no way around it these days but it's preferred to be assembled in the first world, IMO, as opposed to something made purely in China. When I furnished my house with appliances about 13 years ago, I made sure of this and *knock on wood* but everything is still working fine today. Well the dryer, the electronics go on the fritz now and again but a "reboot" by unplugging/replugging seems to work well so far. Never had a problem with the heating element at least. Also even though this was still doable a decade ago, it may be harder to do today.

Also, I'd stay away from Samsung if you know what's good for you lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10087 posts
962 upvotes
Toronto
Stick with whirlpool or Maytag same company higher end. But basics is best
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
Redfisher wrote: I’m sure the newer stuff won’t make 24-25 years.
My front loader has never been opened besides me cleaning out the lint trap and its 16 years old. I thought at the time they would only make it 12 years or so. We have 2 kids too, so it’s not like its just me doing laundry once a week.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8167 posts
5084 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve resigned to the fact that if you can get 10 years out of a major appliance these days, you’re doing well.

Sad state of affairs.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
Consumer products are all disposable now. Nothing is going to last over 10 years now. Just find a brand and model you like and buy it. Why over think it? If you plan to keep it more than 10 years then buy heavily on an extended warranty for 10 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
All great advice guys thanks, looks like it needs a new tranny which is $300 and a fair bit of time replacing. I’m gonna just buy a no frills whirlpool similar and hope for a good ten years out of it. Cheers.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12915 posts
4521 upvotes
Ontario
Buy extended warranty because it may not last 10 years.
Redfisher wrote: All great advice guys thanks, looks like it needs a new tranny which is $300 and a fair bit of time replacing. I’m gonna just buy a no frills whirlpool similar and hope for a good ten years out of it. Cheers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)