Credit Cards

Applying to but not activating credit cards?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 8:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
751 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa

Applying to but not activating credit cards?

I have applied for a few credit cards because of the amazon promos recently.

Im wondering what would happen to the cards and to my credit score if I simply keep the cards without activating them? Would the cards be cancelled?

I wont use them.

** I suspect it is better to call and cancel
before activation as it may not look like a “closed account” that way. It never gets added to your history as a credit account. The only impact is the inquiry that will drop the score for a while. Can anyone confirm?
Last edited by d5486 on Aug 9th, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6670 posts
6644 upvotes
d5486 wrote: I have applied for a few credit cards because of the amazon promos recently.

Im wondering what would happen to the cards and to my credit score if I simply keep the cards without activating them? Would the cards be cancelled?

I wont use them. It feels like I’m stealing something from the banks(!) but I only applied because of the promos. And it’s a hassle to call and cancel.

** I suspect it is better to call and cancel
before activation as it may not look like a “closed account” that way. It never gets added to your history as a credit account. The only impact is the inquiry that will drop the score for a while. Can anyone confirm?
Pretty sure once you apply and are approved, it will be added to your history as a credit account. It'll just show no activity
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9270 posts
10499 upvotes
The Prairies
It will be reported to the credit bureaus regardless if you activate or not.
Card activation only makes the card active and ready to use.
The account was opened the moment you were approved.
You’re better off using them for 6 months, then call to close them.
I don’t see how calling to close them is a hassle.