Careers

Applying for a Fed job- how long the process took?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2018 11:02 am
May 6, 2018
14 posts

Applying for a Fed job- how long the process took?

I did my interview in April. I was asked to send an essay regarding my motivation for this job ( Junior programmer) which I submitted. They asked for my references after that. I'm wondering how long the reference check takes? how long does it take until you are added to the pool?
I know, being added to the pool means nothing and there is no guarantee that I ever get picked.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
a lot longer than 39days.

Depends on many factors.

Job.
Level.
Closed/Open
Closed to department or anyone in the city

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllly depends.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
May 6, 2018
14 posts
Thank you very much for your reply.it's an entry level. job was closed in feb.. i live in another province but i REALLY hope to get a job in ottawa
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
There's no timeline so just keep applying.

If you are / were recently a student, they have special programs for that which I believe make it quite a bit easier / faster (I have no idea what the crieria to qualify is).
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
canucksgirl12 wrote: I did my interview in April. I was asked to send an essay regarding my motivation for this job ( Junior programmer) which I submitted. They asked for my references after that. I'm wondering how long the reference check takes? how long does it take until you are added to the pool?
I know, being added to the pool means nothing and there is no guarantee that I ever get picked.
Usually the whole process (applying to getting letter of offer) takes anywhere from 6 to 12 months. Do you know whether your references were contacted? If they were then it's a good sign. Usually within a month from the interview they will let you know whether you passed or not. If you pass, you're then put in a pool of candidates. You're right there is no guarantee you'll get pulled from the pool. Usually it's 50/50. If you're not contacted within 2-3 months from the pool notification then chances are slim you'll get an offer. You can always follow up with them but usually they either ignore you or give you a non answer.
Good luck! If you have any questions shoot me a pm.
May 6, 2018
14 posts
Hindenburg1 wrote: Usually the whole process (applying to getting letter of offer) takes anywhere from 6 to 12 months. Do you know whether your references were contacted? If they were then it's a good sign. Usually within a month from the interview they will let you know whether you passed or not. If you pass, you're then put in a pool of candidates. You're right there is no guarantee you'll get pulled from the pool. Usually it's 50/50. If you're not contacted within 2-3 months from the pool notification then chances are slim you'll get an offer. You can always follow up with them but usually they either ignore you or give you a non answer.
Good luck! If you have any questions shoot me a pm.
Thank you for you reply. yes they were contacted. will they let me know if i was added to the pool or not?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
Yes they will let you know by email either way if you passed or failed the interview. If you pass - you're added to the pool. If you fail - you're eliminated from the competition.
May 6, 2018
14 posts
Can self identifying help your chances of getting selected from the pool? I didn't identify myself since I'm not really a minority. I'm mixed race. Now I hear I should have lol
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
canucksgirl12 wrote: Can self identifying help your chances of getting selected from the pool? I didn't identify myself since I'm not really a minority. I'm mixed race. Now I hear I should have lol
self-identifying, if done effectively will always help. Amidst the plethora of would-be ideal candidates., how truly can anybody pick the best one? it's all a gamble at the end of the day. You mitigate of course, scrutinize CV's, try your best to engage and tease out any bad qualities in your interview, but beyond that, unless there's some blatant quality you don't like, it's a toss up. That's why you approach it analytically and simply evaluate based on various factors.

ONE of those factors is always people skills. My buddy always joked about his first job. He went for the interview, blew a question or two, but always followed up 'no clue' answers with BUT...and then razzle dazzled them with stuff he did know. This is more interview skills, but you catch my drift.

Same with self-identify. You can simply send an email, make a phone call, but ultimately if you can MEET with the hiring authority & make a good impression, it *could* sway them to ensure your name is submitted from 'eligible candidates' from the pool to review (assuming HR does agree you do meet the criteria his/her vacancy demands). Anything to make yourself stick out (positively) is always beneficial.

I self-identified. It was the worst experience of my PS career, LOL. Totally blew me off. haha. Funny though, I knew THIS PERSONS boss, and THAT person wanted me, so guess who got the job ;). Giggity. At the end of the day it's make your make. Be known for your capacity & make sure those who need to know - KNOW about you.

Good luck!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
May 6, 2018
14 posts
bubble.tea wrote: self-identifying, if done effectively will always help. Amidst the plethora of would-be ideal candidates., how truly can anybody pick the best one? it's all a gamble at the end of the day. You mitigate of course, scrutinize CV's, try your best to engage and tease out any bad qualities in your interview, but beyond that, unless there's some blatant quality you don't like, it's a toss up. That's why you approach it analytically and simply evaluate based on various factors.

ONE of those factors is always people skills. My buddy always joked about his first job. He went for the interview, blew a question or two, but always followed up 'no clue' answers with BUT...and then razzle dazzled them with stuff he did know. This is more interview skills, but you catch my drift.

Same with self-identify. You can simply send an email, make a phone call, but ultimately if you can MEET with the hiring authority & make a good impression, it *could* sway them to ensure your name is submitted from 'eligible candidates' from the pool to review (assuming HR does agree you do meet the criteria his/her vacancy demands). Anything to make yourself stick out (positively) is always beneficial.

I self-identified. It was the worst experience of my PS career, LOL. Totally blew me off. haha. Funny though, I knew THIS PERSONS boss, and THAT person wanted me, so guess who got the job ;). Giggity. At the end of the day it's make your make. Be known for your capacity & make sure those who need to know - KNOW about you.

Good luck!
Very helpful post. I live in BC and I have no idea who the hiring manager is.I'm in the pool but so are 100's of other candidates lol I self identify as a woman but I doubt it helps

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)