Students

Applying to GTA colleges after 4 failed years at university...any advice/recommendations?

[OP]
Sep 17, 2019
1 posts

Applying to GTA colleges after 4 failed years at university...any advice/recommendations?

I graduated from high school in 2015 and attended university for the past 4 years, but failed or nearly-failed most of my courses. Yes, I know, I wasted four years of my life. I kept thinking I would improve (youthful stubbornness, I supposed), but I did not. I was registered with disability services at my university due to mild high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (diagnosed with aspergers as a child), as well as ADHD (diagnosed at the end of second year university), but I struggled to obtain appropriate accommodations until the end of fourth year, by which point I had finally come to my senses and accepted the fact that college would likely be a better option for me.

I am interested a biological/life sciences and have been looking at college programs in the GTA. I am particularly interested in Medical Laboratory Technology, but the only diploma program offered in the GTA is at the Michener Institute, and the admission requirements state that applicants who have previously attended university for any length of time are required to have a cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher in order to be considered for the program, and my final GPA was well below that. Therefore, while this program would be my top choice, I suspect it is impossible for me to ever be accepted into it. Realizing this, I have started looking into biotechnology programs instead. However, having heard very little of these programs, I am concerned about employment opportunities after graduation. If anyone has any information regarding employment success for biotechnology (advanced diploma) graduates, please share.

Any other advice/recommendations is welcome and would be very much appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2995 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto
Did you do bio/life sciences at uni? If so, I doubt doing it at college would change anything. Consistently failing courses over 4 years means either your study habbits are terrible or the biological sciences are just not for you. Maybe consider a different field like IT or labour work?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Nov 9, 2011
953 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
The Michener Institute is not exactly a college - it is more of a post-grad school. Admission to this school can be difficult.

Have you looked into private colleges?

And how is it that you didn't get academic probation with those grades? Do you mind letting me know which university was this?
Mar 6, 2015
740 posts
57 upvotes
Some goodies exist on youtube....
youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0 First 8 minutes...

youtube.com/watch?v=23Xqu0jXlfs summary of the entire video
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jul 31, 2017
651 posts
275 upvotes
MakingPlans wrote: I graduated from high school in 2015 and attended university for the past 4 years, but failed or nearly-failed most of my courses. Yes, I know, I wasted four years of my life. I kept thinking I would improve (youthful stubbornness, I supposed), but I did not. I was registered with disability services at my university due to mild high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (diagnosed with aspergers as a child), as well as ADHD (diagnosed at the end of second year university), but I struggled to obtain appropriate accommodations until the end of fourth year, by which point I had finally come to my senses and accepted the fact that college would likely be a better option for me.

I am interested a biological/life sciences and have been looking at college programs in the GTA. I am particularly interested in Medical Laboratory Technology, but the only diploma program offered in the GTA is at the Michener Institute, and the admission requirements state that applicants who have previously attended university for any length of time are required to have a cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher in order to be considered for the program, and my final GPA was well below that. Therefore, while this program would be my top choice, I suspect it is impossible for me to ever be accepted into it. Realizing this, I have started looking into biotechnology programs instead. However, having heard very little of these programs, I am concerned about employment opportunities after graduation. If anyone has any information regarding employment success for biotechnology (advanced diploma) graduates, please share.

Any other advice/recommendations is welcome and would be very much appreciated.

How did you struggle to obtain appropriate accommodations?

And speaking as someone who deals with students who request accommodations, I do hope you realize that the accommodations you are given in school won't be provided in the real world. Schools are doing students a disservice by bending over backwards for them because the real world is going to bite them on the ass.
Apr 1, 2015
360 posts
114 upvotes
Oakville
you will probably have to do some pre-requisites in order to get into one of the more competitive programs, like PHS. colleges will always consider post-secondary marks with a lot of priority due to the sheer volume of students applying. although you might have the perception that college level programs will be easier, the course load will be quite heavy. the admission requirements are becoming more and more strict, forcing a lot of students to apply to programs well outside of the GTA. times are changing pretty fast academically. i remember getting entrance scholarships just with an 80 average in highschool, these days that would barely get me entry into some of these college programs.

i can sympathize with your situation as i had similar problems when i was in university (although i finished) and am now in a nursing program at seneca. i wanted to pursue a bscn but it just wasn't in the cards for me due to the competitiveness of the programs i wanted entry into

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)