• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2020 12:17 pm
Dec 14, 2012
105 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Applying to Master's Program Feedback/Advice Program Specific & General

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a master's for a while now...
Regardless of COVID-19... wanted to get people's opinions of masters programs before committing to applying... again...

General Questions
- What is important to think about when selecting a supervisor for a thesis-stream?
- How does one prepare for applying to a program with a thesis-stream?
- Do you wish you had done master's sooner or later than when you had done your program (regardless of thesis or course based)?
- Any feedback or insight into getting a masters?

Nursing Master Specific-Questions
- Were you able to have a work-life-school balance when pursuing your nursing masters?
- Any feedback or insight into nursing thesis masters in Ontario or online?
- After graduating, how difficult/easy was it to get a nursing job that required/recommended having your nursing masters?

Thanks in advance everyone.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2008
6048 posts
1945 upvotes
GTA
General Answers
- I had to select a supervisor for my final paper and knowing the professor from taking a course with the professor helped
- My timing was fine, I would have liked to buy a house first though as the costs of the program really delayed that for me
- Take prep classes, read as much as you can on the programs you are interested in etc.

I am not a nurse
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1030 posts
541 upvotes
rakablood4ever wrote:
- What is important to think about when selecting a supervisor for a thesis-stream?
At the Master's level this doesn't really matter for application purposes.

- How does one prepare for applying to a program with a thesis-stream?
Tick a box on the application, otherwise it is exactly the same as the rest of the application.

Why are you so focused on thesis route? If you are never doing a PhD why bother with it? Do the degree by coursework or coursework + cognate paper.

- Any feedback or insight into getting a masters?
Have good grades and recommendations.
Dec 14, 2012
105 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: Tick a box on the application, otherwise it is exactly the same as the rest of the application.

Why are you so focused on thesis route? If you are never doing a PhD why bother with it? Do the degree by coursework or coursework + cognate paper.
I am genuinely interested in conducting my own research study regardless of going to do a PhD or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1030 posts
541 upvotes
rakablood4ever wrote: I am genuinely interested in conducting my own research study regardless of going to do a PhD or not.
It is a Master's so don't think you will be doing some deep, involved, impactful research study.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)