Credit Cards

Applying for new Amex & getting a CLI on a different card within a certain timeframe

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 10:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6546 posts
5726 upvotes

Applying for new Amex & getting a CLI on a different card within a certain timeframe

Are there any DPs on getting a CLI on one card and it affecting the chances of getting a new card around the same time, and would the new card being a charge card vs a credit card make a difference?
Last edited by Gtaphotog on May 21st, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Oct 14, 2014
659 posts
669 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The short answer is that upon applying for the new card you may receive either a trivial CL amount, or they may ask you to reallocate CL from one of your other cards with them.

My sequence of events was in reverse from your question. I had two cards with them, then applied for a third. I got approved but with a trivial CL amount and I reallocated some CL to it. Then, not long afterward I received a pre-approved CLI on one of the other cards... That was actually the first time I received a pre-approved CLI from them -- I had been previously been requesting CLI on a schedule.
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
Amex’s system is strange.
Friday I requested a CLI in online banking, and to my surprise was declined.
It was passed the 6 month mark, and there was no indication that was the issue.
Just a flat out decline.
Then Sunday morning I log into my account to find this banner at the top

Like I said, very strange.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1463 posts
1120 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Discussed ad nauseum in other Amex related threads on this forum
Feb 12, 2019
298 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver BC
masterman wrote: Amex’s system is strange.
Friday I requested a CLI in online banking, and to my surprise was declined.
It was passed the 6 month mark, and there was no indication that was the issue.
Just a flat out decline.
Then Sunday morning I log into my account to find this banner at the top

Like I said, very strange.
What was limit you asked for and what was the amount you were given?

I have a SCP at $3K. My 90 day is coming up and I’m wondering I can get an increase with 30% balance on my current card as I’ve also just been approved for a Cobalt with $2K CL.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6546 posts
5726 upvotes
lefroset wrote: The short answer is that upon applying for the new card you may receive either a trivial CL amount, or they may ask you to reallocate CL from one of your other cards with them.

My sequence of events was in reverse from your question. I had two cards with them, then applied for a third. I got approved but with a trivial CL amount and I reallocated some CL to it. Then, not long afterward I received a pre-approved CLI on one of the other cards... That was actually the first time I received a pre-approved CLI from them -- I had been previously been requesting CLI on a schedule.
So I'd assume applying for a charge card like the gold and applying for a CLI on my credit card with them shouldn't really have any effect on each other.
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
WayneW8682 wrote: What was limit you asked for and what was the amount you were given?

I have a SCP at $3K. My 90 day is coming up and I’m wondering I can get an increase with 30% balance on my current card as I’ve also just been approved for a Cobalt with $2K CL.
I was offered exactly what I requested, which makes it even more strange.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1519 posts
845 upvotes
Last November, I go approved for amex SCBP

Got a 1k cl and switched some from my essential( 4k). Then a couple months later they upped it to 7500.

What's with the obsession of getting the hugest CL?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6546 posts
5726 upvotes
User455957 wrote: Last November, I go approved for amex SCBP

Got a 1k cl and switched some from my essential( 4k). Then a couple months later they upped it to 7500.

What's with the obsession of getting the hugest CL?
I'm trying to figure out if applying for a new card and requesting a CLI at the same time will have a negative effect on being approved.
Feb 12, 2019
298 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Gtaphotog wrote: I'm trying to figure out if applying for a new card and requesting a CLI at the same time will have a negative effect on being approved.
Is it worth keeping two cc with AFs?
SCP @$99 and now I’ve got the Cobalt, should I ditch the former (after Sept)..? Can AMEX move my CL from SCP to Cobalt, you think? Or just leave it..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6546 posts
5726 upvotes
WayneW8682 wrote: Is it worth keeping two cc with AFs?
SCP @$99 and now I’ve got the Cobalt, should I ditch the former (after Sept)..? Can AMEX move my CL from SCP to Cobalt, you think? Or just leave it..
You're asking the wrong person as I don't have any of those but I've been seeing a lot of people recommending the SCP for an all arounder card.
Feb 12, 2019
298 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Gtaphotog wrote: You're asking the wrong person as I don't have any of those but I've been seeing a lot of people recommending the SCP for an all arounder card.
Oh sorry. I just thought you replying to a question someone asked about Amex you could answer my question too... Grimacing Face