Students

Applying to Uni after flunking first year

[OP]
Mar 31, 2013
1 posts

Applying to Uni after flunking first year

Hi, I am a 18 year old student currently attending University of Waterloo for honours Bio-Med. I completely bombed my first year, gaining no credits what so ever. This was due in part because i didn't go to class at all, and in part because i skipped almost all my exams with no valid excuse. I did very well in high school as i was living with my parents, they have always been my motivation. But due to living away from home and the partying life style of university im trying to transfer back to york, ryerson or UTM. They require you give your transcripts from both university and high school, is there any way i can only apply with high school marks? I only failed 4 courses as I dropped the other 6 before the drop deadline. I had prior acceptances from York, UTM and severeal other universities while i was in high school. I was never put on academic probation or anything of the sort because I am still in first year. Is there any way I can re-apply to first year as a high school student. Im constantly worried about not getting into a uni close to home, and i can never get it out of my mind its giving me anxiety and depression.

I've heard that many people bomb first year is there anyone else who has experience with this kind of thing any tips would be helpful.

If there is anything else i can do please let me know, I want to go to a closer university by next year, your help is greatly apprecaited and can change my life. Thanks in advance !
6 replies
Nov 1, 2012
93 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Hi there,

How many courses taken you taken exactly and are on your transcript? and your average? (if you dont mind)

I know that some unis if you take have than 1 year worth of credits, they will take your high schools marks for admission.

Best of luck, if you have any questions please let me know
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3363 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
IMO, you should call into admissions and ask about your situation. With transferring, every student has a different scenario and the only ones that can give you a clear cut answer are the admission officers. Even then, they may require further inquiry from you before being able to provide you with an answer to your case. One thing I can say is that your first year marks will be assessed along with your high school marks if you're transferring from 1st year (they will ask you to disclose all your previous education and it's best to do so to avoid complications in the future). For your case, if you can provide sufficient documentation for your anxiety issues, I think you can get into the GTA schools but they may offer you alternative programs instead or put you in a general program. Flunking a year of university is not the end of the world.

My two cents.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Strictly speaking, the fact that you have taken classes in university means that you can't reapply as a high-school student. Whether you can get away with it depends on whether you want to be in a position where another university may deny you a degree after x years because you decided to lie to them about your past. The denial of degree has happened in the past and wouldn't theoretically be difficult for the universities that you want to go to to know.

Something doesn't quite add up with your story about Waterloo - unless you dropped all of your five courses in the first term, you'd be in academic probation - I'd check with the registrar. And even now, you'd be on academic probation with your failed classes. I'm not surprised about your story though - my roommate at Waterloo struggled in first year and eventually dropped out - just fell into the same trap as you did.

NOTE: It's pretty late to transfer - as a second approach, I'd probably take a year of courses at one of the colleges (Seneca, Centennial, George Brown, Humber) to bump my averages before bothering to apply to transfer.
Nov 1, 2012
93 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
I believe theres unis you can apply to such as carleton, brock their deadline is June 1.
joepoonie wrote: Strictly speaking, the fact that you have taken classes in university means that you can't reapply as a high-school student. Whether you can get away with it depends on whether you want to be in a position where another university may deny you a degree after x years because you decided to lie to them about your past. The denial of degree has happened in the past and wouldn't theoretically be difficult for the universities that you want to go to to know.

Something doesn't quite add up with your story about Waterloo - unless you dropped all of your five courses in the first term, you'd be in academic probation - I'd check with the registrar. And even now, you'd be on academic probation with your failed classes. I'm not surprised about your story though - my roommate at Waterloo struggled in first year and eventually dropped out - just fell into the same trap as you did.

NOTE: It's pretty late to transfer - as a second approach, I'd probably take a year of courses at one of the colleges (Seneca, Centennial, George Brown, Humber) to bump my averages before bothering to apply to transfer.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
yokiddo wrote: I believe theres unis you can apply to such as carleton, brock their deadline is June 1.
I don't doubt there is - but it seems from reading the OP's post, it may be better for him/her to take a year of courses at one of the colleges merely to bump up his average. There is no way he isn't on academic probation or won't be listed as such if he failed all his classes. I doubt that either UTM, York or Ryerson would accept you with a failing average and academic probation. Who is to say that the OP won't spend another year partying?
Dec 9, 2007
229 posts
28 upvotes
Leafs94 wrote: Hi, I am a 18 year old student currently attending University of Waterloo for honours Bio-Med. I completely bombed my first year, gaining no credits what so ever. This was due in part because i didn't go to class at all, and in part because i skipped almost all my exams with no valid excuse. I did very well in high school as i was living with my parents, they have always been my motivation. But due to living away from home and the partying life style of university im trying to transfer back to york, ryerson or UTM. They require you give your transcripts from both university and high school, is there any way i can only apply with high school marks? I only failed 4 courses as I dropped the other 6 before the drop deadline. I had prior acceptances from York, UTM and severeal other universities while i was in high school. I was never put on academic probation or anything of the sort because I am still in first year. Is there any way I can re-apply to first year as a high school student. Im constantly worried about not getting into a uni close to home, and i can never get it out of my mind its giving me anxiety and depression.

I've heard that many people bomb first year is there anyone else who has experience with this kind of thing any tips would be helpful.

If there is anything else i can do please let me know, I want to go to a closer university by next year, your help is greatly apprecaited and can change my life. Thanks in advance !
I think you should reexamine why you want to go to university and what you'll do differently to succeed, your story doesn't add up because if it happened the way you said your school will most likely force you to withdraw for at least a year if not altogether.

That's not to say you can't complete a degree in the future. But your head isn't in the right place right now, if you're trying to get around the system with applying with just your high school marks. Your only real option is likely to take some time off to confront your problems or try again in college.