Apppying for drug benefit while living with patents

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2023 6:41 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2021
11 posts
14 upvotes

Apppying for drug benefit while living with patents

Not sure if that is the right place. But I need an advice. I applied for trillium drug benefit to cover some really expensive medications. They charge a 4% deductible from the entire household income. I am currently living with my parents and a brother, as I cannot afford to buy anything in this crazy market. My deductible would be about 12k a year considering it takes into account the entire household income. That's 1000$ a month. Anyone has been in a similar situation ? Or has any advice?
5 replies
[OP]
Nov 9, 2021
11 posts
14 upvotes
I have no disabilities. But need the drug to keep me going. Unfortunately no generics avaliable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
8120 posts
4742 upvotes
Samii63 wrote: Not sure if that is the right place. But I need an advice. I applied for trillium drug benefit to cover some really expensive medications. They charge a 4% deductible from the entire household income. I am currently living with my parents and a brother, as I cannot afford to buy anything in this crazy market. My deductible would be about 12k a year considering it takes into account the entire household income. That's 1000$ a month. Anyone has been in a similar situation ? Or has any advice?
If you are single & over 19 yr, then you are consider on your own for income tax purpose and that means it won't include income from your parents & brother.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
5820 posts
4512 upvotes
TheprimOrdialsingula…
ml88888888 wrote: If you are single & over 19 yr, then you are consider on your own for income tax purpose and that means it won't include income from your parents & brother.
Interesting: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-help-hi ... drug-costs
Defining your "household"
You have to apply for the Trillium Drug Program as a household. The following people are considered part of your household and must be included on your application:

your spouse, common-law or same-sex partner, if you:
-have lived together for at least one year
-are parents together of a child
-have entered into a cohabitation agreement together under Section 53 of the Family Law Act
-children, parents and/or grandparents who live with you and rely on you, or you rely on them, for financial support
-children who are students, who may not live with you but rely on you for financial support
-spouse or partner who lives in another province or outside Canada
-spouse or partner who lives in a long-term care home
-If a person is financially independent from other household members, then the person does not have to be included on the application. A financially independent person is one who does not rely on other household members for financial support and other household members do not rely on them for financial support.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1534 posts
1071 upvotes
Ripley
Are you under 25? What about OHIP+?