• Apr 20th, 2021 10:01 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6506 posts
1208 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…

Aqualift self cleaning - does not work

I inherited a Maytag Gas oven with a house I bought.
It uses the "Aqualift" technology to clean the oven.

No harsh chemicals, no high temperatures, no odor. done in 40 minutes
Video looks great, but that process just does not work.

Does anyone have a stove with that technology who has figured out how to get this to work.
Just following either the directions in the manual or the video (they are the same) just does absolutely nothing for baked on spills in the bottom.
And now I'm a bit reluctant to use an oven cleaner in case that makes things even worse.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1141 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
This is just a fancy name for self clean. Stay away. Does nothing for baked on spills. Open up all windows etc and use easy off oven cleaner. The self clean will kill your oven
JS
Jan 8, 2009
783 posts
438 upvotes
GTA
How bad is the bottom of your oven? I had this technology in my last oven and I loved it. You have to remove the racks and any accessories, scrape up any loose crud (that comes up fairly easily), pour in your 2 cups of water (preferably filtered or distilled), let it run its cycle, then, while it's still warm, wipe out the bottom of your oven. Aqua Lift does not get as hot as most oven self-clean cycles and will NOT kill your oven or damage your cabinets.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3917 posts
936 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
So this "Aqualift" is simply akin to soaking a pan with baked on food in warm water in your sink. So why not add a little dish soap and wait longer for it to soften up? If it still won't clean up try a slightly abrasive plastic scrubber like one would use on a pan that was soaking in a sink?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6506 posts
1208 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
jrbb0309 wrote: How bad is the bottom of your oven? I had this technology in my last oven and I loved it. You have to remove the racks and any accessories, scrape up any loose crud (that comes up fairly easily), pour in your 2 cups of water (preferably filtered or distilled), let it run its cycle, then, while it's still warm, wipe out the bottom of your oven. Aqua Lift does not get as hot as most oven self-clean cycles and will NOT kill your oven or damage your cabinets.
There is a section in the centre that seems really baked on.
I used filtered water, ran the cycle but it din't soften the baked on part.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6506 posts
1208 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
fergy wrote: So this "Aqualift" is simply akin to soaking a pan with baked on food in warm water in your sink. So why not add a little dish soap and wait longer for it to soften up? If it still won't clean up try a slightly abrasive plastic scrubber like one would use on a pan that was soaking in a sink?
Basically, but I think the water gets pretty hot,not just warm.
I actually used dish soap as well and then a scrubber - still won't come off.
Searching a bit I came across this:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22766 ... en-problem
Didn't really help but at least I know I'm not the only one.

Before that, in my previous house, I had an electric self-cleaning oven where the temperature of the cleaning cycle reached about 600 C
That did the job but the clening cycle was much longer, over 4 hours, and there was quite some odour released.
So the Aqualift approach sounded much better.
Jan 8, 2009
783 posts
438 upvotes
GTA
krs wrote: Basically, but I think the water gets pretty hot,not just warm.
I actually used dish soap as well and then a scrubber - still won't come off.
Searching a bit I came across this:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22766 ... en-problem
Didn't really help but at least I know I'm not the only one.

Before that, in my previous house, I had an electric self-cleaning oven where the temperature of the cleaning cycle reached about 600 C
That did the job but the clening cycle was much longer, over 4 hours, and there was quite some odour released.
So the Aqualift approach sounded much better.
Try some comet and a green scrubby for the worst part. Use gloves and *really* hot water for that part. Let the comet sit for a bit if you need to.

Separately, when using the Aqualift cycle, spritz the back and sides of the your oven with the same distilled/filtered water before running it. AND run your Aqualift right after any spills/mess and/or monthly for the best results.

I know it's not perfect but the old self-cleaning cycles were strong enough to fry the electronics in the newer stoves and that's why they've gotten rid of them.