PC & Video Games

Arcade 1Up - Replica Arcade Machines (Preorder - $399)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 11:58 am
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2642 posts
2822 upvotes
GTA
I'm still a bit amazed at these "building one is better" posts. Yes it is better in a lot of ways. No its not for everyone, and no its not cheaper once you count time as a factor. If building is better for you, then go for it, but that doesn't make it better for everyone.

The cost of the vinyl alone makes it pricey. Plus, I don't have the confidence to put that huge vinyl print on a piece of MDF without screwing something up. I have a hard enough time putting a dinky screen protector on my phone properly!
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3995 posts
710 upvotes
Of course it's also cheaper when you don't pay licensing fees for the official graphics, anything stolen brings down your costs
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2642 posts
2822 upvotes
GTA
swales wrote: Of course it's also cheaper when you don't pay licensing fees for the official graphics, anything stolen brings down your costs
And doubly so for the games installed on a home-built Mame cabinet also. If you keep the 1Up stock, then you've also paid the licensing fees. Savings abound if you get one on sale I suppose.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10412 posts
598 upvotes
Mississauga
kool1 wrote: Here is what my Street Fighter cost me :

Cabinet $175 on clearance at Walmart in Mississauga.

Add $100 complete Raspberry Pi with memory, $22 for an amp, $85 for decent sticks and LED buttons, $10 for a power strip, $10 for hardware / adhesives and $30 for an HDMI converter.

Total is about $427 + tax. Under $500 for a complete arcade machine. Build and mod time - less than 2 hours.

I have no clue how to cut and build a cabinet nor do I have the equipment. I think I did ok considering what people charge for Pi machines on Kijiji.

My neighbor built the same one for his basement bar.
For comparison:
I'm using an older Pi 3 B from my older stock (which I got from BuyAPi.Ca for $35). I had a Lexmark microSD 32GB kicking around ($15). For the speaker, I ended up going with a wireless / AUX rechargeable / USB-powered speaker from Winners ($8 on clearance). The HDMI converter board I got for $30. I did buy a set of buttons, and glad I did. I did go with the keeping the originals (with desire to change them in the future when I've worn down the stock buttons), but the wire for the axle joystick was a bit finicky on my SF2 unit, only 3 of the 5 wires would make a contact in the USB encoder, so I ended up using the provided wire as a replacement. So my net cost is much less.

I bought that set of buttons for another project -- making a bar top unit out of an old icade. Again, I have a pi board in storage, along with a 5v 9" LCD + pi case in storage (forget the costs of these). The icade I had bought on clearance a long time back from FutureShop (forget the cost) and it was in storage since. I had to replace the buttons on the icade (I was able to keep the axle joystick). Still working on this unit, but the buttons and USB encoder is all wired up.

I will probably definitely buy one of the Arcade 1UP bartops if they ever make it to an official Canadian retailer.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote: For comparison:
I'm using an older Pi 3 B from my older stock (which I got from BuyAPi.Ca for $35). I had a Lexmark microSD 32GB kicking around ($15). For the speaker, I ended up going with a wireless / AUX rechargeable / USB-powered speaker from Winners ($8 on clearance). The HDMI converter board I got for $30. I did buy a set of buttons, and glad I did. I did go with the keeping the originals (with desire to change them in the future when I've worn down the stock buttons), but the wire for the axle joystick was a bit finicky on my SF2 unit, only 3 of the 5 wires would make a contact in the USB encoder, so I ended up using the provided wire as a replacement. So my net cost is much less.

I bought that set of buttons for another project -- making a bar top unit out of an old icade. Again, I have a pi board in storage, along with a 5v 9" LCD + pi case in storage (forget the costs of these). The icade I had bought on clearance a long time back from FutureShop (forget the cost) and it was in storage since. I had to replace the buttons on the icade (I was able to keep the axle joystick). Still working on this unit, but the buttons and USB encoder is all wired up.
Unfortunately I didn't have any parts lying around. Parts could have been had for less if I ordered from China but I didn't want to wait the usual 6-8 weeks.

I'm still considering a 60-1 jamma conversion of my Pac Man machine. Will probably wait on that, have more than enough to play with my 3 machines now.
Aug 25, 2010
488 posts
96 upvotes
Pacman is in stock on WalMart.ca. $330. First time I’ve seen it in stock since before Christmas.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3995 posts
710 upvotes
nibbler1 wrote: Pacman is in stock on WalMart.ca. $330. First time I’ve seen it in stock since before Christmas.
It's restocked half a dozen times but always sells out as it's usually just a little stock
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes
It's not a bad price. About $250 US and free ship to your door.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10412 posts
598 upvotes
Mississauga
kool1 wrote: Unfortunately I didn't have any parts lying around. Parts could have been had for less if I ordered from China but I didn't want to wait the usual 6-8 weeks.

I'm still considering a 60-1 jamma conversion of my Pac Man machine. Will probably wait on that, have more than enough to play with my 3 machines now.
For anyone hard core who wants to play a 4 player game. One could two SF2 arcade units "side-by-side", wire the 4 controls to the Pi, use two driver boards to convert the LCD and then use a HDMI splitter to duplicate the display.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3995 posts
710 upvotes
Some Walmart stores can be so weird, one store around me has had two Centipedes cabs since the day they launched and I would keep checking to see if they would go on sale but never have so I was shocked today when they were gone. I asked the guy in electronics if they reduced the price and sold them and he said nope, they weren't selling so the manager had them assembled and put them in the break room so they could be played. Seriously? If they dropped the price by at least $100 someone would of bought them but instead they're getting no money for them. I asked to buy one of the now demo units and they refused.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2539 posts
399 upvotes
swales wrote: Some Walmart stores can be so weird, one store around me has had two Centipedes cabs since the day they launched and I would keep checking to see if they would go on sale but never have so I was shocked today when they were gone. I asked the guy in electronics if they reduced the price and sold them and he said nope, they weren't selling so the manager had them assembled and put them in the break room so they could be played. Seriously? If they dropped the price by at least $100 someone would of bought them but instead they're getting no money for them. I asked to buy one of the now demo units and they refused.
Sounds like a pretty cool manager! He probably did it on purpose not lowering price because he want to be nice to his staff.
Feb 21, 2019
1 posts
Are they ever going to drop the price? The stock isint moving. I've been keeping track daily and physically going into my two local Wal Marts twice a week. 0 have sold. What's the hold up?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3995 posts
710 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: Sounds like a pretty cool manager! He probably did it on purpose not lowering price because he want to be nice to his staff.
The staff did sounded happy about it but pretty sure corporate would rather them sold so wondering what he told them
Jan 14, 2019
19 posts
5 upvotes
I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it to Parry Sound in time to get Street Fighter for 200 :( I have the next week off of work, hoping a sweet deal will pop up so I can use the time off to start modding!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)