Computers & Electronics

Archiving emails from Mail server or outlook but still have access for cloud searching?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2019 12:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9502 posts
1051 upvotes
GTA

Archiving emails from Mail server or outlook but still have access for cloud searching?

So, I tried to google a solution to this but I don't know where to look. I was hoping someone has experience doing this.

My work e-mail (small business so I have control on the tech side) is currently hosted on 1 and 1 webmail. Eventually I am going to switch providers but haven't had time to research. My e-mail keep getting closer to the 2 gig storage limit as I leave the e-mails on the server as well as download a copy to local computer running Outlook. I would like to archive my e-mails better so I can have a proper backup but also so that I can delete the messages to make more space.

I do like that I can remotely connect to my server and search for old e-mails still. Any suggestion on a way to backup the e-mails but still be able to access the information when in a remote location?

Also looking for a better backup solution in general. I have exported the PST file from time to time but probably not the best way to do this.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9535 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
for the search feature, your better to increase storage space. or

use gmail, push your old emails anywhere thats 15 days old to gmail, this way you have it archined.
you have unlmited capacity storage on gmail.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2871 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Switch to Google Apps or Office 365 and get a 30GB+ inbox.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9502 posts
1051 upvotes
GTA
I know it is only a few extra bucks a month to get more gigs at 1 and 1 but seems like everything just adds up plus I figured might be good to have a secondary backup of the e-mail either hosted on cloud or backed up locally. Guess will look at either paying more with 1 and 1, switching providers (just have domain and e-mail with them, no website currently) or some other pay option.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8327 posts
1298 upvotes
You could go with a larger storage capacity but then will have to be concerned with .PST file corruption. Run Microsoft's scanpst.exe tool and no matter how careful you are, there will always be some issues with the .PST file (this utility can be found in your Microsoft office program folder).

It is possible to create additional .PST files and have them load in your outlook. You could then make a copy of your primary .PST file in the additional copies and store those on other cloud servers for some redundancy, and they'll still be search-able as well. Then cleanup your primary .PST afterwards.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9502 posts
1051 upvotes
GTA
Frankie3s wrote: It is possible to create additional .PST files and have them load in your outlook. You could then make a copy of your primary .PST file in the additional copies and store those on other cloud servers for some redundancy, and they'll still be search-able as well. Then cleanup your primary .PST afterwards.
Are you saying to backup the copy of the PST on Onedrive/Dropbox/etc ? How would it be searchable still? Or do you mean to load it into some other e-mail server?

Thanks for the tip about the scanning utility
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2871 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote: Are you saying to backup the copy of the PST on Onedrive/Dropbox/etc ? How would it be searchable still? Or do you mean to load it into some other e-mail server?

Thanks for the tip about the scanning utility
They're searchable in so far as you can download the PSTs (say you create one for each year and move the emails from that year into the PST) and load them in Outlook for searching.

If you want an active inbox + searchable backup, you can look at Gmail + Vault or set up an instance of mailpiler locally and load all your emails into that.