None
[OP]
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

Arcteryx Jacket

Hey all,

Was looking for a waterproof jacket for myself, as my previous one just gave way when it tore/shredded in the washer, guessing it was a bit too old after 7 years of abuse. Was going to get a shell and just do the layer up as needed, but I already have a GEOX shell which is pretty decent but a bit tight fitting.

I kinda wanna try out an Arcteryx and was looking at the Fissile & Macai and both are same price at $900. Funny thing is when using the SUB-Category on arcteryx website, when I clicked hardshell(waterproof) it only shows the Macai, which I found odd since I thought the Fissile was a hardshell as well.

Any major differences between the 2 jackets beside some new tech I should look out for? I'm gonna drop by Atmosphere sometime tomorrow or Wednesday to have a look, and maybe Harry Rosen to look at the Veilance lineup.

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6009 posts
1639 upvotes
They're in the sub-category because the people that knows know to layer with a separate hardshell and mid-layer and not as a single jacket. Personally I would only look at the Alpha SV or LT and add an Atom underneath but that's just me.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote: They're in the sub-category because the people that knows know to layer with a separate hardshell and mid-layer and not as a single jacket. Personally I would only look at the Alpha SV or LT and add an Atom underneath but that's just me.
I really like the Arcteryx Shells, and was wanting to pick up a Alpha SV or maybe Theta SVX. But kinda want a standalone jacket that has some sort of insulation for a bit of warmth then layer after when it dips lower in the temps.

Arcteryx really has such an extensive amount of shells and jackets in there lineup, really confusing with all the features and specs listed.
Jan 22, 2013
215 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
For insulated waterproof/windproof jackets have a look at the camosun or therme. The therme is last year's camosun and is longer, has a slightly stiffer fabric, a double zipper but non-removable hood. The camosun is a few inches shorter, has deeper pockets and a removable hood and single zipper. Both look really nice.

A goretex shell over a cerium SV will give you a similar layered equivalent.

For hardshells look at the alphas, betas and thetas/zetas. They are fairly similar with the main differences lying in the two letter code. Alphas are more geared toward climbing and have certain features for that. Betas have side pockets located fairly high up. Alphas have a chest pocket.

SV: severe weather—priciest but most breathable.
AR: allround—a great compromise of cost vs. performance.
LT: light weight—heavier and better than SL. Beta has 3L goretex fabric for high breathability.
FL: fast and light—light/highly breathable. I think it's around the same quality as LTs.
SL: super light—cheapest option and the alpha even has goretex. Very light and packable.

I would get the Alpha FL. It's the cheapest jacket anywhere that has gore-tex pro. Ranked very highly.
Jan 22, 2013
215 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
The Alpha FL hardshell is ranked very highly by outdoorgearlab (top rank 4 years running) which incidentally ranks the camosun as the best winter jacket (by a considerable margin).
Jan 22, 2013
215 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Altitude Sports is currently selling all Arcteryx for 20%+ off. Get the membership for an additional 5% off and free returns (usually cost $9). The membership is around $28 with tax so well worth it if spending $500 plus.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
nanobu wrote: Altitude Sports is currently selling all Arcteryx for 20%+ off. Get the membership for an additional 5% off and free returns (usually cost $9). The membership is around $28 with tax so well worth it if spending $500 plus.
Thanks for the tips, good to note that Altitude sports offers additional discounts, seems 20% is the norm atm, since Atmosphere the store I visited today was also offering 20% off but also promo cards on future purchases.

Tried and touch a bunch of models, and I guess I'll wait for a larger sale then I'll make up my mind since they all seem like really good choices. The Camosun is hideous looking tho, the shades of colors don't suit me at all, so I think I'll pass on that one. ;s
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13618 posts
2979 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Check thelasthunt.com. That's the clearance outlet for Altitude sports. Some nice arcteryx stuff there at 40% off or so... Canadian site, no exchange rate to deal with, and free shipping over $200 cad.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6009 posts
1639 upvotes
DS Tactical doing 30% off on all arc'teryx on boxing day.

Feb 25, 2015
162 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I was at Atmosphere today and it was 20% off. However, in late September it was 25% off store-wide! Even CG! I was looking at Beta AR but ended up getting a Goretex TNF tri-climate. Sign up for Atmosphere emails and you get an email for when a 25% off sale is coming.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul" ;) :cool:
[OP]
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
mrbig94 wrote: I was at Atmosphere today and it was 20% off. However, in late September it was 25% off store-wide! Even CG! I was looking at Beta AR but ended up getting a Goretex TNF tri-climate. Sign up for Atmosphere emails and you get an email for when a 25% off sale is coming.
I think if you buy something before the 24th you get a promo card for your next purchase, saw that somewhere on their flyer. Looks like sale prices can go lower as winter isn't here yet and all those sizes are just sitting on the racks.

But I doubt CG were on sale for 25% o.o

Edit: Kinda waiting for Sportinglife to see if they will release their boxing day sale
Feb 25, 2015
162 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
95thRifles wrote:
I asked the associate if everything was discounted and she said, "Yes, even Arcteryx and Canada Goose" as she pointed to them hung on a wall. But then again climate is very mild in Lower Mainland BC. I doubt they sell very many CG jackets in a season. I've never seen anyone wear one where I live but it seems like quite the trend out in GTA.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul" ;) :cool:
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2682 posts
999 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I did find some Canada Goose beanies on sale for 50% off at Atmosphere and they are still there as of today.

However, I agree, I highly doubt CG parkas will ever go on sale because they sell fast. Today at one of the store I saw only 2 parkas left on the rack in the ladies section. The mens side was about half empty. I just wish Atmosphere carried more CG models because they are one of my favourite stores.
95thRifles wrote:

Edit: Kinda waiting for Sportinglife to see if they will release their boxing day sale

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)