• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2017 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2664 posts
674 upvotes
I bought the Arlo first gen and was super disappointed because the base station would not connect to my router. I decided to get the pro just to determine if it was my router, turns out it was a problem with the base station.

I must agree, the pro is solid. Super easy to set up but my complaint is that the speaker needs to be a bit louder. It integrates really well into smartthings hub. Is it really a problem that it comes with 1 screw in mount? There's still the magnetic mounts you can use. The screw in one isn't more secure either. If the camera is mounted high enough and out of reach, I think that should be fine.

I'm going to buy a couple of first gen cameras to add to the system. It's a bit annoying about the battery situation (i love the Arlo pro rechargables), but I was able to find some cheap cameras to buy so might be worth the hassle of looking for rechargable batteries.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Dec 27, 2011
178 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes. The four wall mounts that do come with the set is way less secure than the outdoor mount.

"Indoor" mounts are easily knocked off the wall/structure it's mounted to with a broom stick if out of reach. Easily stolen.
Outdoor mount also allows more viewing range as the camera can be position parallel to the house.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2664 posts
674 upvotes
Vneckjersey wrote: Yes. The four wall mounts that do come with the set is way less secure than the outdoor mount.

"Indoor" mounts are easily knocked off the wall/structure it's mounted to with a broom stick if out of reach. Easily stolen.
Outdoor mount also allows more viewing range as the camera can be position parallel to the house.
I haven't tried the mount yet, but isn't it just screwed into the mount? Takes a tad bit more effort than the magnetic mounts, but still pretty easy to steal if one wanted to take it. I figured if you mount it high enough that needs a ladder to reach, it was sufficient enough.

This is the problem I have, I'd like to mount some outdoors but I'm worried about someone stealing them as well.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Dec 27, 2011
178 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, camera screws into the bracket but the bracket itself is screwed into the fixture of choice. For this reason, the camera can't be knocked off with a broom stick or handle like you can with the magnetic mount.

The camera and and magnetic mount are both fairly easy to dislodge with a stick.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2477 posts
1042 upvotes
, ON
I am thinking of mounting the indoor magnetic wall mount using one of those double sided tape that rated up to 6 lbs instead of drilling holes on walls.

How do you mount yours? I still have not gotten a time to do it yet.
Dec 27, 2011
178 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I am thinking of mounting the indoor magnetic wall mount using one of those double sided tape that rated up to 6 lbs instead of drilling holes on walls.

How do you mount yours? I still have not gotten a time to do it yet.
Not sure that'd be a good idea. Wouldn't the adhesive lose its ability to hold the camera over time? Don't think it'd be under warranty after being dropped from a long distance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2477 posts
1042 upvotes
, ON
Vneckjersey wrote: Not sure that'd be a good idea. Wouldn't the adhesive lose its ability to hold the camera over time? Don't think it'd be under warranty after being dropped from a long distance.
the manual actually says that you can use double sided tape. Just make sure you get the one with highest weight rating. At least 6 lbs. Many picture frames are actually heavier than one Arlo Pro camera.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2664 posts
674 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: the manual actually says that you can use double sided tape. Just make sure you get the one with highest weight rating. At least 6 lbs. Many picture frames are actually heavier than one Arlo Pro camera.
I'd be interested in this, but would be worried about how the tap will hold up with the weather. I do think the magnet would be strong enough to hold the camera in place during strong winds.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2477 posts
1042 upvotes
, ON
sharpshooter88 wrote: I'd be interested in this, but would be worried about how the tap will hold up with the weather. I do think the magnet would be strong enough to hold the camera in place during strong winds.
If you put it outdoor, it will be wise to not use double sided tape. My purpose is only for indoor use.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2664 posts
674 upvotes
Anyone mount the camera yet outside? I'm curious if anyone experienced any issues with the cameras in the cold GTA weather sure far.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2477 posts
1042 upvotes
, ON
sharpshooter88 wrote: Anyone mount the camera yet outside? I'm curious if anyone experienced any issues with the cameras in the cold GTA weather sure far.
They are designed for outdoor and marketed for people in North America. I think they will be okay.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2664 posts
674 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: They are designed for outdoor and marketed for people in North America. I think they will be okay.
Understood, but they're rated for -10 C to 50 C so I'm wondering if anyone in GTA had issues since it's been pretty cold. Arlo community had some people reporting issues in low temperatures.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2477 posts
1042 upvotes
, ON
sharpshooter88 wrote: Understood, but they're rated for -10 C to 50 C so I'm wondering if anyone in GTA had issues since it's been pretty cold. Arlo community had some people reporting issues in low temperatures.
it might effect the battery. Having said that, this goes to everything else that uses rechargeable battery and expose to cold weather.

I won't be using mine outdoor so I guess I don't have to worry about it :)

Join the netgear community. Someone from Arlo will answer your questions.