Travel

Arrive how early for 7:15am Air Transat Flight?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 11:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2006
1252 posts
78 upvotes

Arrive how early for 7:15am Air Transat Flight?

Hi All,

We (my wife and son) will be going to Fort Lauderdale on Mar 4th. Our flight is approx. 7:15am, I am thinking of arriving by 5am, should that be enough time or do you all think earlier is better?
Also, Air Transat has a Option Plus program for $104 per person both ways giving you an extra luggage and priorty service, worth it?

Thanks,
Riz
Feeback: RFD - Heatware - Ebay.ca

Blu-Ray Collection: Click Here
15 replies
May 22, 2012
712 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
I think you should be fine, I usually arrive 2.5hrs before flights to the US
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14212 posts
8307 upvotes
Toronto
if you are flying out of Pearson, you will have to clear US Customs first, so i would allow more time, especially with it being a weekend.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1323 posts
786 upvotes
Ottawa
I won't give a suggestion of a specific time of arrival (I fly a *lot*, mainly with Air Canada, and have Nexus and no checked luggage. So I aim for 75-90 mins before departure for morning Toronto Canada->US flights...but you probably don't want to emulate me!). However, it's worth noting that U.S. preclearance officially opens at 4:30 am and they seem to usually start processing people at about 4:45. Arrive before then, and you're just camped out waiting.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4606 posts
332 upvotes
You should go 2.5 hours in advance, when I pass by US customs, depending on the day(s)... The line can back up at both bag check + US pre-clearance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2006
1252 posts
78 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you're driving to the airport, read this thread about why you should use the Value Park Garage at YYZ instead of Park-n-fly (unless you are willing to pay for Valet service).

merged-t-o-airport-parking-flying-336228/22/#p28914917
Thanks but I guess I should mentioned, we will be trying a airport taxi / limo service this time around another reason why I wanted to know what time we should leave by and arrive by.
Feeback: RFD - Heatware - Ebay.ca

Blu-Ray Collection: Click Here
Sep 30, 2001
28604 posts
7799 upvotes
Toronto
to answer your other question i wouldn't spend extra for option plus. it's only ~3 hr flight. do you need a total of 4 checked bags? the meals and seat selection are frills that you can better spend while in ft.lauderdale (i say this as someone who really likes the Option Plus service).
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
Remember to check the weather reports the night before as bad weather may impact your travel time to the airport and possible flight delays
Nov 21, 2017
959 posts
664 upvotes
Surrey BC
If you got nexus does that give you an advantage?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
flipper316 wrote: If you got nexus does that give you an advantage?
Definitely at Pearson -- you get to use the shorter CATSA security lineup and the shorter US CBP lineup at preclearance.

Also an advantage coming home as you go through TSA screening using the PreCheck lines so you don't have to take off your shoes nor take computers and liquids out of your carry-on bag at the X-rays.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8668 posts
2595 upvotes
Mississauga
Check in three hours before. It'll be busy checking in with everyone else on the same flight. This will give you enough time to get something to eat and get settled.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Nov 3, 2002
972 posts
93 upvotes
I always aim to arrive 2 hours before and am usually seated in the gate area with more than 1hr to spare.

Any more and you are just wasting your time.