• May 5th, 2021 7:57 am
[OP]
Banned
May 3, 2021
5 posts
4 upvotes

Arriving at Vancouver from India

Dear All,
I am a Canadian Citizen who was in Toronto for 10 years before relocating to India for family reasons.
After spending 10 years in India, I am planning to come to Vancouver by end of this year (Owning to the rediculous Covid restrictions)
I have had very bad experience being in the Architectural field in Toronto for bare minimum wages.
I am landing in Vancouver mainly due to the good climate (Comparitively).
My plans are as follows (Single parent with 2 school going children)
1. Land in Vancouver.
2. Get admission for children at schools.
3. Apply for Welfare (Expecting around $ 1700 per month in all). - Hope minimum residency requirements are not there
3.a. Use food bank for day to day food.
4. Start looking for jobs
5. Get a job and leave welfare

Any additional information that I should know.

Thank you

VanDesi
Share:
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7388 posts
1909 upvotes
Toronto
VancoverDesi wrote: Dear All,
I am a Canadian Citizen who was in Toronto for 10 years before relocating to India for family reasons.
After spending 10 years in India, I am planning to come to Vancouver by end of this year (Owning to the rediculous Covid restrictions)
I have had very bad experience being in the Architectural field in Toronto for bare minimum wages.
1. Land in Vancouver.
3. Apply for Welfare (Expecting around $ 1700 per month in all). - Hope minimum residency requirements are not there

Thank you

VanDesi
Your plan will make your life harder, better stay in India for good. Your bad experience in Toronto will lead you more bad experience in Vancouver, consider it will be harder for you to look for a job. Going Welfare is not a good idea at all.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12670 posts
9283 upvotes
Edmonton
VancoverDesi wrote: Dear All,
1. Land in Vancouver.

Thank you

VanDesi
I think your plan leaves a lot of holes. You'll want a safety net (i.e. bag of cash) to come over. I don't believe you or your family will qualify for any health benefits for a few months. Not sure if welfare will kick in any sooner than that, but you shouldn't count on it being ready like the next day or anything. The food bank should be able to help immediately, but even then... Is it possible to have the kids stay there for a month or two until you get settled, and then bring them over after the fact? It would make things much less stressful and less expensive.

Another option is to look for a job first, and then move? I know it's harder, but many jobs are available to do remotely right now, which may help. You don't say what you do, so it's kind of hard to give advice on that aspect.

Good luck, and I don't envy you this at all!

C
Jul 9, 2019
447 posts
1846 upvotes
Vancouver job market is worse than Toronto. Due to covid you will be competing against 1000s for the job position, most of the applicants are on CRB/EI and just apply everywhere to be in good books of Service Canada. You don't have a good financial plan, your credit score will take such a huge hit that it would take 3 years at the minimum to recover.

I would suggest stay in your current place for at-least 9 months for life to return to some normalcy in Canada.
[OP]
Banned
May 3, 2021
5 posts
4 upvotes
Replying to :

Your plan will make your life harder, better stay in India for good. Your bad experience in Toronto will lead you more bad experience in Vancouver, consider it will be harder for you to look for a job. Going Welfare is not a good idea at all.

Wow ! That is quite rude !
I am winding up my things in India (as my last living family member died) and coming back to the country that I had immigrated to 19 years ago.
I think I learnt quite a bit from my bad experience in Toronto that I should want to avoid in Vancouver.

VanDesi.
[OP]
Banned
May 3, 2021
5 posts
4 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: I think your plan leaves a lot of holes. You'll want a safety net (i.e. bag of cash) to come over. I don't believe you or your family will qualify for any health benefits for a few months. Not sure if welfare will kick in any sooner than that, but you shouldn't count on it being ready like the next day or anything. The food bank should be able to help immediately, but even then... Is it possible to have the kids stay there for a month or two until you get settled, and then bring them over after the fact? It would make things much less stressful and less expensive.

Another option is to look for a job first, and then move? I know it's harder, but many jobs are available to do remotely right now, which may help. You don't say what you do, so it's kind of hard to give advice on that aspect.

Good luck, and I don't envy you this at all!
Thank you.
I don't have anyone to leave my children with, while I land in Vancouver. I have to come along with them.
I used to work as a Draftsperson, making drawings of subdivision houses.
I know that Vancouver job market is really very hard to find a job and that is why I am planning to be on welfare / food bank for some time, till I am able to find a job.
I know that TO has a good job market but 5 months of cold winter is not worth it, in the long run.

VanDesi
[OP]
Banned
May 3, 2021
5 posts
4 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: Vancouver job market is worse than Toronto. Due to covid you will be competing against 1000s for the job position, most of the applicants are on CRB/EI and just apply everywhere to be in good books of Service Canada. You don't have a good financial plan, your credit score will take such a huge hit that it would take 3 years at the minimum to recover.

I would suggest stay in your current place for at-least 9 months for life to return to some normalcy in Canada.
This is reassuring and what I had anticipated. I was there in the great financial meltdown of 2007/8 where in even a labour job had 200 applicants.,
That is my reason to go on Welfare / Food Bank, till the job market opens up a bit.

I get it that Vancouver will need a min. of 9 months to one year to recover and I am planning to come in Sept (School year) or in Jan 2022.

Thanks for the information.

VanDesi
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7388 posts
1909 upvotes
Toronto
VancoverDesi wrote: **
Replying to :

Wow ! That is quite rude !
I am winding up my things in India (as my last living family member died) and coming back to the country that I had immigrated to 19 years ago.
I think I learnt quite a bit from my bad experience in Toronto that I should want to avoid in Vancouver.

VanDesi.
Post #4 mention job market in Vancouver is worse than Toronto, I proves myself right. My friend who migrated to Vancouver is asking me to go there, so we can meet up from time to time, I refused because job is harder to find and the standard of living is higher and more expensive to Toronto.

With 2 kids it will make your life more harder, as poster #3 mention it.