Entertainment

Artemis Fowl - Disney+ Summer 2020 (Theatrical release COVID Canceled)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2020 3:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19117 posts
2425 upvotes
YVR

Artemis Fowl - Disney+ Summer 2020 (Theatrical release COVID Canceled)

Another young adult book series will be getting a big screen adaptation, this time from Disney and The Weinstein Company.
http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclus ... y-and-twc/

The bestselling novel, written by Eoin Colfer in 2001, launched a massively lucrative and successful children’s series that spanned another seven entries and a graphic novel adaptation. The fantasy series follows the brilliant and cunning 12-year-old eponymous criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl II, whose cunning plot to extort gold from the secret Fairy People puts him directly in the cross-hairs of some of the most dangerous creatures on earth. Over the series, Fowl becomes a sort of anti-hero rather than a full-fledged villain, often having to work together with the fairies to stop a slew of treacherous megalomaniacs.
I am expecting them to push this 8 novel series to upwards of 10 movies and more merchandising than Harry Potter.
Last edited by Haz on Apr 3rd, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
13 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23487 posts
8389 upvotes
I'm still miffed by what happened with The Wardstone Chronicles that morphed into 7th Son. That was a truly abysmal adaptation. I absolutely loved those books and put many another onto them. Maybe they could do them as a TV series and forget about the film, such as they did with Buffy The Vampire Slayer long ago. But we'll have to see how Artemis turns out...
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24376 posts
33383 upvotes
Toronto
Disney+'s Artemis Fowl is a sloppy disaster that will make your kid’s already ruined summer feel five times as long

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fi ... um=twitter

Disney's Artemis Fowl is an embarrassment

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/reviews/a ... =hootsuite
Last edited by sprung on Jun 11th, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1026 posts
1280 upvotes
Westmount, QC
DougO wrote: I'm still miffed by what happened with The Wardstone Chronicles that morphed into 7th Son. That was a truly abysmal adaptation. I absolutely loved those books and put many another onto them. Maybe they could do them as a TV series and forget about the film, such as they did with Buffy The Vampire Slayer long ago. But we'll have to see how Artemis turns out...
That movie (I should say franchise) had so much potential, and I was actually hyped for the movie when they announced it, as I was a fan of the books too. Looking back, I still don't understand how they could take that franchise and turn it into *that* movie.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16932 posts
14518 upvotes
GTA, ON
My kid's stopped watching half way through. All I can say is the story skipped and the plot felt half-baked.l, almost nonsensical.

So exactly why is humankind a threat? Seems like humans are fairly primitive to me.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15050 posts
7872 upvotes
Toronto
I glanced at an article outlining differences between the film and the book(s)
The clumsy (IMO) mcguffin is an invention of the film
IIRC the book protag isn't so supremely confident (not mentioned in the film but possibly on the keto diet)
OTOH the tentative hero has been done in probably every YA adaptation since Potter
I'm not sure what's the benefit of having the narrative being recalled by another character
So many fantasy/scifi movies, there's no original design work going on -- there's only so many ways to do a centaur or an ogre I suppose but magical beings using phaser rifles?
I get it, Potter did wands and guns are cool but there must be something new under the sun -- laser sling shot?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4283 posts
2042 upvotes
I watched it yesterday and it was meh and I usually am pretty tolerant with movies. There was nothing that kept me interested. After about a 3rd way into the movie, I just wanted to finish it.

The trailers looked good but I am glad I watched it on Disney +.

His last name really describes the movie perfectly.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16932 posts
14518 upvotes
GTA, ON
oicthat2013 wrote: this movie is for kids, not adults. i doubt they care about the review of an adult
Even my kids (6 & 8) found it boring. Lol
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
767 upvotes
oicthat2013 wrote: this movie is for kids, not adults. i doubt they care about the review of an adult
You must have a very low opinion of kids.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)