• Mar 31st, 2019 1:31 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18661 posts
17686 upvotes
Toronto

Article on how parents' social media posts can impact kids

As a parent I found this very eye-opening. I know some people love to post their kid's every move without considering how the child will feel.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90315706/ki ... id=sf01002

"There, for anyone to see on her public Facebook account, were all of the embarrassing moments from my childhood: The letter I wrote to the tooth fairy when I was five years old, pictures of me crying when I was a toddler, and even vacation pictures of me when I was 12 and 13 that I had no knowledge of. It seemed that my entire life was documented on her Facebook account, and for 13 years, I had no idea."
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
11 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2655 posts
575 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Agreed 100% with this article, thank god my parents raised me in the 80s and 90s when no social media existed. if they wanted to see a photo of me in my diaper they would come to my house and my parents would open the photo album and show them and only them not the rest of the world
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5663 posts
749 upvotes
Scarborough
social media = new/latest mental illness (causing anxiety, depression, etc) specially in the developed world.
just look at the bullying, suicides, drugs, mental illness, etc
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9161 posts
14179 upvotes
Children are not pets - they are people and responsible parents protect their private moments.
I do not need to see Zack crying over his deceased kitty no matter how many comments it gets you - a simple notice that kitty died will suffice.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8354 posts
1039 upvotes
I see her point however extremes are generally not very good. Some people certainly overshare without any consideration of impact and consequences. Then there are those who take the opposite extreme and avoid any social media without consideration of that decision. Are they equal in effect? No, I don't think so.

Side note: I find it hard to believe that article was written by an 8th grader.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2063 posts
1538 upvotes
Montreal
Simple solution: don't use social media.

I know to some it seems like a necessity, but it really isn't. And it's too expensive anyway.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2655 posts
575 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Yes and if you read the article, kids are stepping away from using social media, but the problem is the parents of the kids are posting every thing to do with the kids life on social media. I used to see it all the time, this Italian lady she is related to me, but we dont like her, cus shes weird, but she posts her whole life story, and once she was at a wedding that i was at and happen to take a picture of me without me knowing and posted it on face book and started commenting about me and telling her facebook friends my whole life story of who I am and where I work, I got fed up, I actually accepted her friend request merely to tell her off about the post of me with my picture for her to take it down and she did, then I unfriended her. holy it was a lot of back and fourth.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18661 posts
17686 upvotes
Toronto
Gwyneth Paltrow's own daughter just called her out for same thing

Apple Martin tells off mother Gwyneth Paltrow for sharing photo without consent

http://flip.it/K5xgwS
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2063 posts
1538 upvotes
Montreal
"noted the example of France, which introduced strict laws that could see parents face fines and even a jail sentence if they post photos online that are deemed to violate the child’s privacy."

!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1063 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 4:02 pm
Yes and if you read the article, kids are stepping away from using social media, but the problem is the parents of the kids are posting every thing to do with the kids life on social media. I used to see it all the time, this Italian lady she is related to me, but we dont like her, cus shes weird, but she posts her whole life story, and once she was at a wedding that i was at and happen to take a picture of me without me knowing and posted it on face book and started commenting about me and telling her facebook friends my whole life story of who I am and where I work, I got fed up, I actually accepted her friend request merely to tell her off about the post of me with my picture for her to take it down and she did, then I unfriended her. holy it was a lot of back and fourth.
You need to turn on your PMs option
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
My kid is 14 like the girl in the article and although I don't post much, she likes it and often goes through my fb albums for memories. I don't post anything embarrassing anyway and like to shoot lifestyle shots.

I think part of the take away from the article is to maintain a good relationship and keep communication lines open. If there was something she didn't like, I would gladly take it down.
Jul 8, 2013
632 posts
367 upvotes
Edmonton
The 13-year old kid has serious trust issues. "Unauthorized" pics of her? She was 5 years old at that time!

And yeah, the article seems too polished to be written up by an 8th grader.