None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
43 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington

Artificial Grass GTA - What Sub Base?

Hello,

I'm looking at installing artificial grass and I plan on a DIY. It's a small area so didn't think it was necessary to hire professionals. I'm trying to figure out what sub-base to use though. Most places seem to sell "Crusher Run" and most artificial grass providers seem to indicate to use decomposed granite or class 2 base. I'm not sure if Crusher Run fits those definitions. Anyone know if I can use crusher run as the sub Base before installing artificial grass?

Thanks ahead!
10 replies
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
43 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
Thanks Regin8r. Looks like the instructions says the limestone screening is optional if you feel the sub-base is flat enough to your liking. Thanks for the info
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
43 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
How are you finding the drainage when using crusher run? Adequate? Theres seems to be mixed opinion on drainage when I google it. Some say it's good some say not so good for drainage.
Regin8r wrote: We used crusher run, compacted, then limestone as the leveling layer for our DIY Rymar grass installation.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... _Guide.pdf
Apr 21, 2004
898 posts
110 upvotes
Pickering
Yes, and it probably won't make too much difference with the thicker pile turfs but was recommended on the putting green which has much lower pile, so we did everything the same.
Apr 21, 2004
898 posts
110 upvotes
Pickering
tranh2 wrote: How are you finding the drainage when using crusher run? Adequate? Theres seems to be mixed opinion on drainage when I google it. Some say it's good some say not so good for drainage.
I read about it and when I spoke to the Arnt's explained that we could also used the 3/4 clear with landscape fabric on top and then limestone on top to level.

Our particular situation though, we wouldn't have a problem with drainage because our entire turf area was raised about 3-4 ft in some areas above the original grade to be level with the pool (using soil from the pool, compacted with a ride on roller tamper).

Our turf was part of the overall backyard design to provide a level area around the pool. We have graded slopes around the perimeter of the property with culverts so that the water doesn't flow into the neighbors. On the graded slopes we have real grass.

That being said, our installation is only about 2 years old.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
43 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
Ok I see...yeah my area is like a boxed area so when rain gets to it there's no where for it to go other then down. If the crusher run won't allow water to drain through I'm screwed...I attached a pic for reference. It's the area of steps where the dirt is now
Images
  • upload.jpg
Apr 21, 2004
898 posts
110 upvotes
Pickering
tranh2 wrote: Ok I see...yeah my area is like a boxed area so when rain gets to it there's no where for it to go other then down. If the crusher run won't allow water to drain through I'm screwed...I attached a pic for reference. It's the area of steps where the dirt is now
Since you have everything boxed in, I would use HPB (basically like washed limestone) and call it a day. You can actually call/email Rymar for installation questions.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2034 posts
1772 upvotes
GTA
tranh2 wrote: Thanks Regin8r. Looks like the instructions says the limestone screening is optional if you feel the sub-base is flat enough to your liking. Thanks for the info
I would not use limestone screening - its a pain to use, its acidic and eats away at pavers/other stuff, and it becomes more so impermeable after installation.

Seeing as its such a small area, I would just use some HBP. Its a bit extra but at these quantities you won't even notice the cost.

Other than that, really whatever you have - Crusher run thats well graded or free draining, 19mm clearstone with a top layer if you have depth, GranA, GranB, whatever.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
43 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the hpb. The install also calls for nailing down the turf with 6" nails. Will the nails be stable in the HPB?
Apr 21, 2004
898 posts
110 upvotes
Pickering
I used 12" nails every 12" and at that length, it will dig into the soil. The nails really just prevents the turf from shifting sideways, you also have to put sand on top which weighs it down.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)