• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2021 7:56 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…

Asbestos in the closet! What do I do??

Moved into new aparment from 1970 and found out there is asbestos in popcorn ceiling, however also the inside of big closet ceiling has the same ceiling. I was stuffing it with things which were definitelly touching and brushing it because I was trying to fit there as many things as possible and putting stuffed bags and other things in and out while touching and brushing the ceiling. What to do with the stuff now? Throw it out or keep it and somehow clean it? How to clean it? What to even do with that part of closet? Never use it there? What are the dangers? Please help. Thanks!!!
Images
  • 20210221_134959.jpg
  • 20210221_135006.jpg
  • 20210221_135018.jpg
Last edited by Nela2020 on Feb 21st, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15647 posts
16797 upvotes
Oakville
Nela2020 wrote: Moved into new aparment and found out there is asbestos in popcorn ceiling, however also the inside of big closet ceiling has the same ceiling. I was stuffing it with things which were definitelly touching and brushing it because I was trying to fit there as many things as possible and putting stuffed bags and other things in and out while touching and brushing the ceiling. What to do with the stuff now? Throw it out or keep it and somehow clean it? How to clean it? What to even do with that part of closet? Never use it there? What are the dangers? Please help. Thanks!!!
How do you know there's asbestos? Did you test it? Only SOME popcorn ceiling contains asbestos.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4572 posts
1584 upvotes
when was the property built? Any building after the late 70s do not contain asbestos ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/home/

It doesn't seem to be a common area where Asbestos is found.

Risk of Asbestos is that the fibre can break off and you can consume (and over time develop medical issues). Even if its in paint (as you mentioned) its stuck in - its not flying around and causing issues. I am sorry, I am not an expert but I don't think its in the Paint (especially just by looking)
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3535 posts
621 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
I opened the thread anticipating the OP found an old roll of asbestos like I found in my dads basement tucked up above the heating vents!
Sep 7, 2018
811 posts
842 upvotes
Relax OP - asbestos related issues are for people who worked with it for decades - some minor dust isn't going to do anything, definitely not more harm then inhaling car exhaust or second hand smoke in passing.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
engineered wrote: How do you know there's asbestos? Did you test it? Only SOME popcorn ceiling contains asbestos.
Because the building is from 1970 and a reconstruction guy said its most likely. From whatever I read it looks like all popcorn ceilings in 1970 were using asbestos.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
jdmfishingonly wrote: when was the property built? Any building after the late 70s do not contain asbestos ...
1970 ( i just uptdated in the official post)
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
PrinceMS wrote: https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/home/

It doesn't seem to be a common area where Asbestos is found.

Risk of Asbestos is that the fibre can break off and you can consume (and over time develop medical issues). Even if its in paint (as you mentioned) its stuck in - its not flying around and causing issues. I am sorry, I am not an expert but I don't think its in the Paint (especially just by looking)
Actually from whatever i read its is very common in popcorn ceilings in 1970 unforunatelly. Yes i kind of hope its in paint somehow locked but then when i brushed it many times by things againt it so not sure what is the real danger, so wondering if someone knows. Articles says you should not disturb that ceiling and dont put boxes hight on the closet.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
superscoots wrote: Relax OP - asbestos related issues are for people who worked with it for decades - some minor dust isn't going to do anything, definitely not more harm then inhaling car exhaust or second hand smoke in passing.
I really hope its like that. Although knowing that it gets to my lungs and will stay they forever no matter what amount, is freaking me out. I also dont know how to deal with the things. Keep, throw out, wash, its mostly clothes there and bags. And weather to even use that top part of closet, wish to know if its safe.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11878 posts
8134 upvotes
Edmonton
Nela2020 wrote: I really hope its like that. Although knowing that it gets to my lungs and will stay they forever no matter what amount, is freaking me out. I also dont know how to deal with the things. Keep, throw out, wash, its mostly clothes there and bags. And weather to even use that top part of closet, wish to know if its safe.
Just like your other thread... Nobody here can tell you whether you have asbestos or not. If you’re concerned and want peace of mind, get it tested. You can even get an air quality test done, as I suggested in that thread.

If you’re concerned about your closet, get a piece of drywall or even cardboard and attach it to the ceiling over your shelves. Then you won’t brush against it when you’re throwing stuff up there.

As far as your current stuff goes... If I was in your situation (and concerned), I’d throw it in the wash and call it a day.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15647 posts
16797 upvotes
Oakville
Nela2020 wrote: Because the building is from 1970 and a reconstruction guy said its most likely. From whatever I read it looks like all popcorn ceilings in 1970 were using asbestos.
You need to get it tested, then you'll know if you're fine, or already dead.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10205 posts
2762 upvotes
your renting, call your landlord. not your problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5000 posts
2408 upvotes
Ottawa
Here's what I would do: I would buy a test kit - they're cheap and all you have to do is collect a small sample and send it to the lab. Within a couple of weeks, they will tell you if your ceiling "popcorn" contains asbestos. If it doesn't, you can relax; if it does, then you should have a conversation with the landlord. Asbestos remediation is expensive and a landlord will undoubtedly be more interested in painting over the popcorn than removing it. Depending on what they do, you can make a decision if you want to go on living in that building. But this needs to start with knowledge of the presence of asbestos - suspicion isn't enough at this point.
Dec 20, 2012
56 posts
31 upvotes
Asbestos was used in building products in Canada until the mid-1980s. Wasn't banned in Canada until 2018.
Oct 22, 2016
631 posts
537 upvotes
Comox Valley
In BC, if building was built before 1990, and you do renovations you are suppose to do testing for asbestos

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-sa ... k-asbestos
“If you're planning to renovate or demolish a home built before 1990, as a homeowner you need to talk to your contractor about planning for asbestos testing and proper removal. While there may be an additional cost to identify and remove asbestos, doing so will ensure the health and safety of everyone working on the project.”

For the OP, You have zero to worry about. It takes one hell of a lot of more exposure that what you got.